IGNORED

John Wick - Chapter 2 - Feb 2017

Down by Law

Just seen it. Is Chapter 3 out yet? I need more.

As well as stuff mentioned, a bit that really tickled me was

Spoiler

Wick and Cassian walking through the subway station taking silenced potshots at each other with the crowds unaware

Just got back from watching this..

Spoiler

Its rather good isn't it? Not as good as the first for me as it felt a bit more OTT and lost some of its realism (if you can call it that) but still an massively entertaining movie.

I particularly liked the fleshing out of the behind the scenes bits of the assassin life such as the tactical suit and the gun sommelier, that added some depth to the scene and the second Continental was a nice idea. The action scenes were spot on and I agree with most of the sentiments above, its easy to think it as repetitive at first but it is the most efficient way of doing things. My favourite two scenes were the undercover subway stealth shoot out, the 'pew pew' sounds were fantastic. Also amusing was the way he channeled his inner Batfink in the Rome catacombs, using his suit jacket like a shield of steel.

The only thing I may need to google a bit more was the significance of the end scene when Wick is meeting Winston; someone says now and everyone pauses a few seconds before walking away.

Any theories as to what it was meant to prove?

edit: remembered to more quality bits; the comedy tumbling down the stairs with Common and finally seeing how death by pencil occurs

8 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Saturday morning Superscreen showing booking, cant wait!

Got my tailored suit, chocolate pirate coins and the dog ready to go.

That's not a bad idea - perhaps I should do a post-work showing with some colleagues and go dressed for it.

Really liked the first 20 minutes or so then got bored stupid after that apart from the subway silencer shooting scene which was very nicely done. Watching so many headshots got tiring very quickly and I really don't think I could face watching another sequel.

On 2/21/2017 at 23:13, sexton_hardcastle said:

John Wick 2 is the greatest movie since John Wick 1.

I think you'll find that Mad Max: Fury Road came out after John Wick 1...

This is the best action film I've seen since Fury Road, and I liked it more than the first John Wick. As Comrade said, "It's astonishing that a film can be so self-serious and at the same time completely aware of how hilariously ludicrous it is."

The Catacombs shootout was amazing (dare I say it: rivalling The Matrix's lobby scene?

:o), the gearing up/contracts operator montages were great fun (Serafinowicz!), and I loved the ridiculousness of just how big a proportion of New York seems to be an underworld hitman.

On 2/18/2017 at 22:52, Gorf King said:

There was more variety in the action sequences, but some of them were overlong - I think K said of the first that at a few points you thought (to paraphrase), 'yup, you can only take so many double taps in a row', and this had a couple of scenes where the shooting just started feeling a bit stale. (The gf, who loved the first one, leaned over to me after a few minutes of one scene and said 'this is getting boring.' I wouldn't go quite that far, but I thought she had a point.)

I know what you mean, but for me the only move that became repetitive was in the museum, where he puts the first shooter on the ground in a wristlock, takes out everyone else around him, before executing the one he's holding and taking their gun. It is a spectacular move, but I'm not sure why none of the people he's grabbing seem to try and fire wildly behind them, given that in the first scene where Wick is fighting Cassian and is grappled in a similar way, he's constantly shooting around desperately.

I'm also not sure why he didn't grab a gun before chasing D'Antonio out of the hall of mirrors. I'm sure there were a few guns and bullets left lying around after the previous shootout, which might have helped in the fight against Ares!

And are we agreed that after what Wick said about stabbing Cassian precisely enough near the heart to leave him incapacitated without killing him, both he and Ares both definitely survived and will be back in Chapter 3, right?

5 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Hide contents

And are we agreed that after what Wick said about stabbing Cassian precisely enough near the heart to leave him incapacitated without killing him, both he and Ares both definitely survived and will be back in Chapter 3, right?

Spoiler

I certainly read it as, at the very least, leaving the door open for their possible return.

I liked the throwback to steven seagal style wince inducing bone breaking. Everything about this movie rocked my balls off and yes, the best action movie since Fury Road, hands down.

RE spoiler above:

Cassius is definitely alive, he told him if he removes the knife he's dead, so consider it a professional courtesy. Ruby Rose is dead, he stabbed her in the same place and pulled the knife straight out, so she's a goner.

Little details like that elevate this movie. Also, non-spoiler as it's in the trailer:

"Mr Wick"-

"Do Enjoy Your Party"

What a sign off!

On 23/02/2017 at 23:06, Indy @ S.E. said:

Just got back from watching this..

Hide contents

The only thing I may need to google a bit more was the significance of the end scene when Wick is meeting Winston; someone says now and everyone pauses a few seconds before walking away.

Any theories as to what it was meant to prove?

I didn't think it was that confusing:

Spoiler

I think it was just Winston displaying his power and control. John would likely already be dead but Winston filled the area with his own people to ensure John's safety, at least fr the time being. The 'now' is just him letting John see the extent of his power, he could have him dead if he wanted to. Same as to why he puts the one hour countdown before the contract goes live, consider it a 'professional courtesy' :P

22 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Enjoyed this as much of the first. A Good solid action movie. I was particularly excited by the bit where

Hide contents

one of Winston's "telephonists" puts out the hit using a Commodore Vic20 though.

:D 

I noticed that too lol

Finally saw this earlier tonight... screen to myself, which was nice.

Loud, great action sequences, a bit more of Ian McShane being awesome ("Jonathan" :lol:) and a few more layers of world building. Think there's enough in the tank for 3, but hope they leave it is a trilogy, before the franchise loses Keanu, and becomes straight-to-video with Scott Adkins in the lead or some shit.

Oh, and, :omg:

HE KILLS TWO GUYS WITH A FUCKING PENCIL!!!!!!

On 27/02/2017 at 18:57, Down by Law said:

I see Mardigan hasn't posted his thoughts since his saturday morning screening, possibly still in the theatre chair, dribbling from the mouth from the sheer actiongasm the film provides?

Thats me just home!

Watched the film. Immediately booked flight to Rome. Left the dog with the kind yet menacing check in desk clerk. Took in a show, cleaned the place up and walked back to Glasgow from Italy.

Absolutely incredible from start to finish. It's Reeves that makes this. You can see how serious he is about the role with every movement during the action scenes. His approach to the character mirrors Wicks approach to killing. Singular focus to what the situation needs and perfect execution.

A glorious expansion of what the first move set in place and I have faith that no matter what they do in the next one it will be just as good.

I don't know that I enjoyed this more than the first one, but I definitely enjoyed it. I think the first film knew it had to prove itself, while the sequel felt a little too sure of itself, a touch... smarmy, if you like. I think it's a lesson in how to craft and shoot action scenes, for sure. Problems: the ending dragged on, Reeves did his weird hunchback stagger a little too often (the bells!), Serafinowicz was irritating, and also:

What was up with Fishburne's character? That was egregious time-wasting. Hey, I need your resources to find my target. It's a deal! Turns out he's in that museum, you know, the one he always hangs around in. Happy to help! See you next film!

But you forgive it all this when a set piece kicks in.

He did a bit more than that

Healed his wounds, took care of his pursuers, sheltered him for a bit, gave him a gun AND told him where his target was. Pretty generous for a guy who fucking hates Wick and has every reason to simply collect his bounty.

• 2 months later...

The BBFC have rated the uncut version as 18 for home release. 

There's some confusion as to whether or not the blu-ray and DVD releases are the uncut version, as all current artwork carries the 15 rating, whereas the UHD releases, (solo release, plus boxset with first movie), are 18 rated. 

It's entirely possible that Warner never bothered updating the artwork with Amazon, etc, as the uncut version was only classified quite recently. 

Back of Blu Ray

91J2FXN3cGL._SL1500_.jpg

Back of 4K Blu Ray

91ny+nUV40L._SL1500_.jpg

I think the Blu Ray will be cut because Warner Bros did the same with the Equalizer - port the cut UK cinema release to Blu Ray. The 4K market is so small they probably just thought fuck it and stuck the american disc in instead.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

The 4K market is so small they probably just thought fuck it and stuck the american disc in instead.

very plausible yes that sounds good for me.

if they do stick the american disc in, they'll need to put a BBFC sticker on it