rllmuk
Wallace

Motorsport Manager - Buy it - iOS, Android, PC, Switch

36 minutes ago, Wallace said:

so hopefully we'll have some mukkers giving it some positive comments.

@The Bag is actually working on it, much to my delight when I read that the other day.

Since I've tagged you TB, what is it like for touch screen support? I'd love to play it on the windows tablet. Never mind. Don't have the specs! Desktop it is!

• Upvote 1

The announced min specs aren't really the min specs.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/415200/discussions/0/355043117509918129/?ctp=29#c343787920121756303

To answer a few questions, we are aware that there is some concern with the spec being high. As you can imagine, and as some of you have already pointed out, the game is a lot more intensive than the mobile version. 

That being said, we are aware that it is high and we are continuing to work on optimisation between now and release to make sure that the game runs well on as broader spectrum of computers as possible - therefore at this stage these are more recommended specs rather than minimum. We will update you with final minimum specs closer to launch.

We'd also like to remind you that you are welcome to try the game through Steam and return it for a refund (if less than 2hrs played) should the game not run on your computer.

• Upvote 1

In reality minimum specs are never the lowest you can get away with anyway, they are more what you need if you want to play the game as intended at a certain intended graphics and performance level, you can certainly go much lower in practice if you're willing to sacrifice both ;)  unless the dev locks away all the settings and enforces a minimum graphical and resolution level anyway which is bad practice for the PC version. Though the recommended specs on this are pretty impressively high for a strategy/management game.

A cursory search on YouTube shows the real limits of what is possible with a bit of creativity and hacking on hardware way below published minimum specs, you can even hack mobile games to run below spec on mobile now.

It's a single player game.

No idea about what's planned for the future though.  I was having the same thought the other day, it's be cool to manage teams against friends.  But none of that is my call.

First impressions are its pretty much what I'd imagined a 'proper' F1 management game to be like. The presentation is lovely, the depth appears to be there and the races feel really quite tactical. 

I'm only a few races in and haven't really touched many parts of the game, like research/development, driver scouting and staff. But I think if you got any enjoyment from the tablet version and enjoy your motor racing then you'll love this.

• Upvote 3

Clearly I'm biased as I worked on it, but only since August, but I really like this game.  

I've been playing the Predator Challenge over the past couple of weeks, it's currently the hardest challenge in the game to take the worse team in the lowest tier and get the to the top tier & win the championship.  It took me six seasons to win the championship at the lowest tier (one of our designers did it in two) the season seven was financial survival and scoring some points so I don't go instantly back down again (managed a mid-table finish).  The season I won I'd voted in points for only the top 5 and spent the season before running two paid drivers, putting all the money I made from them into part development (your best performing parts become your basic 'original' parts the next year) - I'd neglected part dev for the first couple of seasons (with the yearly 'new car' being my only real upgrade) so was lagging behind the other teams.

Really great game, can imagine it would appeal to those who aren't necessarily fans of F1 too, really hope the sales do well and this becomes a yearly release like Football Manager.

On 11/11/2016 at 09:37, The Bag said:

your best performing parts become your basic 'original' parts the next year

I've seen a few posts on reddit and steam saying this is buggy/broken and folk are stuck with a car that resets every year after it being massively improved, any word on a patch for this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotorsportManagerPC/comments/5ch8or/proof_of_the_preseason_part_nerf_bug/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/415200/discussions/0/217691032427110448/

Edit: reading that Reddit post, someone has added a new comment suggesting that the parts worsened because they swapped out their lead mechanic (something I did after year 1 too), is that the reason why?

Reliability gets a pretty hard reset each year, performance is based on the existing parts but I expect it relies on the lead designer as well - I've never seen as dramatic a fall off as that, but I've always tried to keep a good lead designer around.  I don't actually know what's going on under the hood there, like most things in the game there's going to be a lot of stuff contributing to it - I've sent an email to people who can hopefully clear it up publically for everyone.

• Upvote 2

Bought this on Friday night, played it well into Saturday morning. Like it very much! 

Decided to go for ZRT in the lowest tier series and, with 3 rounds left of the first season, we are 6th in championship having been requested to finish 9th. First thing I did was pretty much fire all my staff and replace them with 3 star people (two of them have 5 star potential I think) and also get rid of the older of my two drivers for a younger three star one who didn't have a drive.

We somehow managed a win in the third round of the season that came a bit out of nowhere (I noticed in a few Let's Plays that the Italy track seems to give everyone a good performance!), but ever since mid season we've been consistently in and around the top 5. I've decided to not spend too much cash on this year's car (it's base potential was crap, we originally had a 1-star designer) and put as much money as I could towards next seasons' effort in the hope it can propel us up the grid into genuine title contenders.

One thing I particularly enjoy is the political aspect of the game, and how the sport evolves and changes. We had a few votes get declined (track changes and such), but a crucial one that has just been passed is that the series is moving towards more expensive slicks next season, which is not only going to cost more but I suspect also narrow the window of switching from dry to intermediates dramatically. The road tyres the series starts on seem to deal with quite a bit of wet weather, next year is going to be a big change.

I think what I am going to need to do is try to keep getting more competitive whilst at the same time trying to save so I can increase my factory size. Those extra reliability and performance points will massively help. But yeah, love the game and will be playing it quite a lot I'd imagine :)

EDIT: What I find most pleasing is that, because of how starved of games this niche has been pretty much since Grand Prix World, it would have been pretty easy to knock up a tarted-up version of the mobile game, release it and it still probably would have sold okay. What we have got though is a well thought-out, surprisingly deep and nicely designed game that looks like it's going to offer hundreds of hours of play.

• Upvote 7

If you abstain you get +1 to your voting power so if it's something you don't care about you can save extra votes for later - "I think you'll find we are switching to an antiquated points system from the '50s because I've got 5 votes".

Not played too much of this, enough to have a few races.  It is pretty damn good.  Decided to go for Not Force India, and true to form the car is garbage at low speed.  Treating this season as a tester, will probably restart at lower levels when I know what I am actually doing.

It has that old Championship Manager balance of being just complicated enough but not too simple.  The development side feels very XCOM in that there is always too much to do, so you have to pick carefully.  I have been going for improving whichever post is crucial for next race, but I think maybe concentrating on my woeful front wing and brakes would have been better - car visibly gets eaten up at anything low speed.

The racing is great, but I have few tiny nitpicks.  Wish you had more enough for pit stops rather than the generic fighting for/well ahead description. Also seen a couple bugs.  Blue flags do nothing apparently.  Worse is that seemingly if another car exists pits in front of you, your driver slams on brakes...on the main straight.

A major bug was when my team managed to ruin every single pitstop for both my drivers in a race.  Yes, totally a bug.  Barry, you're fired.

Not touched my engineers or designers.  Can you slot someone in immediately or do you have to negotiate contracts like Football Manager?

What I'd suggest is finding someone you want, negotiate with them (takes about a week or two) and when it's all agreed the game gives you the option of who you want to boot out. You will have to pay a contract severance fee, though!

@kiroquai nice write-up, very tempted by this although may wait until it dips under £20 and first patch is released.

Are the tracks similar to the real world F1 tracks, had a look at the web-site and maps look almost identical?

Put it this way - I think this is impressive enough that, if presented to FOM, could interest them in allowing official F1 branding on it. And yeah, I hope this does well enough that the team can work on more.

That said, an official license might mean FOM start taking out some of the fun elements in the game. One of the game's regular dilemma moments I had was an energy drink manufacturer wanting create hilarious miniature figurines (the game called them hilarious!) of one of my drivers, to ship with every crate of drinks they sold. If I accepted I got cash, but if I refused it meant the driver in question would not have their morale destroyed (I don't think he has a sense of humour).

In terms of bugs, I am sure there are some out there, but in my 4 - 5 hours on it so far I've not encountered anything noticeable.

One of my drivers traits is that he is ugly, and thus less marketable to sponsors :D

I wish the devs every success but I think FOM getting involved could ruin the charm of it. 

I haven't noticed any bugs since I started playing it either. 

From the rumours I heard about Codemasters F1 game having some terrible requirements for the license, I wouldn't want FOM anywhere near this.  Plus I quite like the taking liberties with it.  My female Not Perez not only have a beautiful trait but is currently having a modelling tryout.

I would much prefer to wait for workshop support and have someone edit in the real life names.