Pictures of old retro shops

15 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Anyone from the Northants area remember the retro game shop in Wellingborough around 2000?  I used to love that place.  It was properly dingy but it had all sorts of great stuff stacked up.  Loads of ST and Amiga games, which was pretty unusual to see in a shop at that time.

No but I grew up in Northants and remember in the 90s a stall on Northampton market that eventually moved to a shop on the edge of the market. Was a great place to see the latest stuff on show before it was out here, I remember being blown away seeing road rash on the 3do on their market stall. Also saw RR and Daytona running for the first time on import machines in the shop.

Was always in there swapping SNES, Jaguar, 3do stuff to get the latest thing of interest :)

I bought Policenauts on the 3do from them, brilliant random purchase when browsing one day. Got Yu Yu Hakusho and SSF2X from there as well as a Capcom Soldier pad :)...really loved the 3do at the time, being able to play all those imports.

20 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Hi!

Just so you're aware, we're now forum best pals. 

Ace! However I'm afraid to say it was a very brief Jaguar period of having a great time mid 90s playing Doom, Wolfenstein (since I didn't have a pc at the time) and AvP before swapping it all for something else :)

8 hours ago, merrychan said:

Ace! However I'm afraid to say it was a very brief Jaguar period of having a great time mid 90s playing Doom, Wolfenstein (since I didn't have a pc at the time) and AvP before swapping it all for something else :)

Yeah, I've gone off you a bit.

On 28/06/2019 at 13:58, merrychan said:

@KriessG We might have! I only went down to the shop on that day since I didn't live locally, I used to post on the forums as jonathan_ingram. Wish I'd made more of the opportunity to visit there compared to how things are these days :)

The forum was great. I can’t remember my forum name, probably something similar to mine now. I still speak to Steve the owner occasionally, a year or two ago I went and picked up a CRT off him for retro gaming :) 

• 1 year later...

Sorry don't have any pictures but I fondly remember a little indie shop in York, specifically in a street called Gillygate. The shop was called York Game Exchange. 

The shop was managed by a couple of recent graduates and funded by a young enterprise loan. The graduates were known as Julian and Steve.

The shop front was probably no more than two meters wide and the entrance. It wasn't a huge place but went back a fair way with the counter and store room. It was crammed FULL of SNES and MD carts - including imports from Japan. They were gamers by hobby but decided to take a punt in starting a shop up. Great shop and managers, knew a lot about gaming and sourced all sorts of random games including cart converters etc. Here I discovered the Japanese import of Parodius completely wacky game and other gems - I was and still am a  2D shooter fan.

Anyhow the shop grew and eventually became what we was known as GameStation and we all know what happened to that! :) Wasn't sure what happened to Julian or Steve though probably retired quite wealthy though! :) 

I do miss those days of rifling through carts and disks and picking up something new to try - rushing back home with my newest finds any eagerly trying them out. Lots of anticipation and excitement that is largely lost these days with digital downloads. The characters that used to hang around these places and just hanging around talking games. I guess places like this make up for that. Still miss the physical social aspect to this at times. 

Anyhow. Digital downloads, squabbling over the internet trying to get new consoles at launch seems to be the new normal.

When the pandemic finally eases I am heading into a new place that has opened in town. Its full of retro arcade games. They are on free play for a couple of hours for the princely sum of £5. I'm going down there and grabbing myself a place to be with other gamers. I miss it. Hope there is a spirit of the old days there. At least if nothing else it has a sit down Outrun cab and a Defender machine! :D 

8 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

OK, here was a treat someone randomly posted on Facebook.

Photos from an Australian K-Mart branch circa 1988.

127801827_376575883406053_50499458395663

128146959_376574353406206_35690662425517

chessmaster, still rocking the same title art for over 30 years. 

D9A5122A-5E3C-4BC3-9F24-6CA15B55FFDB.jpeg

17 hours ago, MattyP said:

Sorry don't have any pictures but I fondly remember a little indie shop in York, specifically in a street called Gillygate. The shop was called York Game Exchange

I’m so sure I have at least one megadrive game that I’ve bought from ebay that has a York game exchange sticker on the inside of the box. 

18 hours ago, MattyP said:

Anyhow the shop grew and eventually became what we was known as GameStation and we all know what happened to that! :) Wasn't sure what happened to Julian or Steve though probably retired quite wealthy though! :) 

They sold the chain to Blockbuster for around 70 million IIRC (the number was never published but that was the figure banded around in meetings) I started not long after they sold up. Blockbuster really went hard with expansion. In 2002 they had 40 stores and by the time i started in May of 2003 they had 101.

These are videos of Dimension Plus, a gamestore I used to visit a lot in Groningen city, the Netherlands. Like many stores of its kind, it's closed now. I think they started in 1995 and went bust in 2016.

It's not from the era that the OP requested, but interesting nonetheless I think.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

This is a brilliant article, and he wrote an equally good follow-up earlier this year.

https://wordsbyjamesduffy.com/stories/something-bad-happened/

Great follow up.  I wonder what the game was he mentioned in Edge that never got released?  the only one that I can think off that people would perhaps write about (fan fiction) was Codies Dragon Empires. 

125508412_10159202075632848_230185772092

128808155_10158594106970803_330475933621

These are still in the upstairs window of Forbidden Planet Wolverhampton (From when it was known as Another World) 

"We buy, we sell, games and console and imports"

They did between 1998 and 2004, sure.

I did my work experience here in 2000, the week Perfect Dark came out on the N64. Great fun. Gave me a £20 credit note for working hard which went straight on Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for Dreamcast. :D 

4 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Going to another world was my favourite part of visiting family in Wolverhampton. Made the long journey worth it.

One of my favourite shops ever it’s a shame things went the way they did.

What exactly happened - did they just change what they were selling? I guess the import business changed a lot in the PS3 days with multi region games etc so suspect that killed it off but it was still great to go in and pick up things from Japan (beatmania, densha de go etc) that never got released in the UK.

Just now, Parappa said:

What exactly happened - did they just change what they were selling? I guess the import business changed a lot in the PS3 days with multi region games etc so suspect that killed it off but it was still great to go in and pick up things from Japan (beatmania, densha de go etc) that never got released in the UK.

From what I was told the founders had a falling out and split into two different businesses. I don’t know the full details.