Pictures of old retro shops

Does anyone have any pictures of retro shops from around the 90s/early 2000s? I love looking at that sort of stuff.

There are lots of the Video Game Centre that used to be in Bournemouth on a Facebook page dedicated to it - https://www.facebook.com/VideoGameCentre. Another couple I'd love to see pictures of are Total Entertainment that also used to be in Bournemouth (the Charminster one), and Software Box that was in Poole, but I can't find any of them.

On 25/09/2016 at 08:15, MagicalDrop said:

I bought a boxed Neo Geo CD console bundle from that shop on a family holiday to Bournemouth about 15 years ago for a fairly reasonable £125 IIRC. Great shop. 

I only went in there once that I can remember of. If I was a couple of years older I'd have probably appreciated it a lot more, going by how good it looked from the pictures.

On 01/10/2016 at 15:35, dvdx2 said:

old thread which may glean more info for pics

Thanks I'll have a look!

On 01/10/2016 at 16:33, Unofficial Who said:

There's loads of pictures here of a Sydney gamestore that started up as a market stall back in 1982.

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/our-history

I used to go to their locked loads in the 80's.

1984-11-002_1.jpg

Some great stuff on there, thanks for posting it. Love the video.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Not actually an old shop but there is a place in Birmingham called Entertainment World that would put many shops back in the day to shame.

I went in there recently and it's a genuine experience - everything from He-man figures to MASK to a whole range of retro consoles. Prices seemed there or there abouts but they didn't have any Spectrum hardware which is what I was after on the day.

I visited Console Concepts in Hanley a lot in the early 90s. I bought several Japanese import titles for my Megadrive in 1992-93 and think I cleared out most of their Amiga PD disks when I got my A1200 in 1994. I wish there were photos of their basement cave!

4 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Does anyone remember the name of the games shop on Beckenham Lane in Shortlands (Bromley)?

Was that Raven Games? It's one of those places I always meant to check out but never quite got around to.

I think my favourite games shop memories have to be:

Another World in Nottingham - Picking up Radiant Silvergun and Marvel vs Streetfighter in 99 and an Action Replay to play on my PAL saturn,  which eventually couldn't be modded so I part exchanged it for a Japanese Saturn, I'd had a fair amount of import games over the years but this was my first ever Japanese console (and still my favourite)

The Retro Exchange (Down the road from the Rathbone Place CEX, London) - Bought a few games when visiting there over the years, the amount of stuff on display blew my mind

Next Gen in Farnborough - Had a great forum community and a belter of a shop with retro and imports up to 2005 ish I think, run by a great person called Steve. I remember going to the Sonic Adventure 2 launch meet there

I've probably posted all of this earlier in the thread or elsewhere, ah the memories!

Anyone from the Northants area remember the retro game shop in Wellingborough around 2000?  I used to love that place.  It was properly dingy but it had all sorts of great stuff stacked up.  Loads of ST and Amiga games, which was pretty unusual to see in a shop at that time.

4 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Anyone from the Northants area remember the retro game shop in Wellingborough around 2000?  I used to love that place.  It was properly dingy but it had all sorts of great stuff stacked up.  Loads of ST and Amiga games, which was pretty unusual to see in a shop at that time.

If you mean Software Seller, it's still there.  Well, it was last time I was in Wellingborough but that was a year or two ago now.

A lot of Xbox 360 and PS3 games in there but some decent retro as well.

3 hours ago, dr zoidberg said:

Raven Games

Much money spent here!!

Ditto!

Fond memories of Raven (Bromley Road, Beckenham - FYI). I got my Virtua Fighter 2 for Saturn there, dare I say a day or two before the JP release date - that was probably the hottest pickup I got from them. Also, Ocarina of Time US, Virtua Cop, Chrono Trigger, etc. They RGB-modded my Neo-Geo as well.

The shop is still there - Raven Online - but they got out of games and do records and t-shirts and stuff now. The place always seems closed though (I live close by) - maybe it's a side thing now after having hopefully done pretty well out of the import era.