IGNORED

Regrets selling your collection?

memories

I've just taken my entire games collection down from the loft and and  seriously considering selling the whole lot. I'm sure we have had threads like this before but I'm buggered if I can find them using search.

Any one sold up and then regretted it?

I've thought about it before but this is the closest I've come by actually getting the stuff out and taking some pics.

I've got stuff ranging from 8 bit right up to present day but would probably stop at PS2/XBox as my PS3 and 360 are still set up.

My wife is asking if I will regret this as if I go through with it I won't be buying it all back again in 5 - 10 years which is fair enough. My train of though is that most of the stuff I can emulate if I really want to play it, I've got a MAME cab that will run a lot. All this gear is just sitting up in the loft doing nothing so why keep it. I don't game as much as I used to these days anyway and most of my gaming time these days is PS4 rather than retro.

The kids have been excited to see some of it but they aren't into games that much yet, play on the WiiU occasionally. Think I'm going to set up Rock band for them later.

I think the only thing I wouldn't sell is my Virtualboy collection, its just such a ridiculous machine I love it.

I always say do you need the money or do you need the space? If so, sell up. If not, I'd keep it. I've never sold up completely, but I have had various clear outs in the past and have always bought more stuff and a few bits back again. I'm just gonna keep all my stuff in the garage until the kids are older and will decide then if I want it or not - when I do have the time for it. 

1 hour ago, Gorf said:

Am I right in thinking you live in Aberdeen? 

I'm nearby and I might be interested in buying a big bundle of retro stuff

Yeah I do, are you up this neck of the woods too?

If I do end up selling getting shot on one go would certainly interest me.

I've never had a large retro collection, but I did go through a period of collecting bits and bobs. I managed to amass pretty much all the JP Capcom fighters on the Saturn. I had a decent enough JP Dreamcast collection. I'd hoover up excess Sega Rally 2s from CEX. I grabbed Wonderswans and Neo Geo Pockets. Then I'd sit admiring the box art and the physical form of the things instead of really playing them. With some exceptions I've never regretted getting rid of them. The question is, will you have anything to show for it afterwards?

A little saddening most are shouting flog.

Besides my original MD and games (gasp!) I really regret simply handing in my 40+ GC games + GC with GBA Player to CEX around the launch of the DS to fund towards that. DK Bongos, RE0-4, Mario, Zelda, PN03, Monkey Ball, SA1 and 2, non-lag version of Mega Collection (to my eyes at least). F-Zero GX, Animal Crossing, Smash. All gone. In one go! For a original DS and 2 or 3 games!

I get the itch to play all of these once in a while nowadays and I simply know the GC is hell (of expensive) to get back into now. I'd be making crazy use of that GB Player now too. Had the modem too! PSO! DDR Mario with the dance mat! The RGB SCART cable!

GameCube wasn't my love console like the SEGA stuff of course but it's probably the crappiest decision ever. I stuck with Nintendo that generation completely ignoring PS2, which was how that library grew in the first place. GameCube was still representation of a simpler time thinking back memories-wise.

I've had similar thoughts to sell my DS stuff these days (due to general money woes and spending more time on PC for gaming) but memory of the GC stuff stops me. Well that, and the DS library has probably provided me with thousands of hours of fun and memories at this point, with lots of titles I'd still want to play, the strength of such a crazy vast library (when's the Everdrive coming?)

Sure at the end of the day tat is tat, and memories can be more powerful then holding a physical box could ever be (arguably), but I'll have to be old and wrinkly with my fingers no longer working before I sell my Mega Drive stuff (again).

I'm in the process of slowly selling off some of my retro collection. Where I want to be in a year or so's time is that I can look at my games collection sat on shelves and look at each game and think "wow, what a brilliant game". As opposed to thinking "I should try and play that game that I've owned for over a decade and haven't spent more than 30 minutes with" or "that's a mediocre game".

Retro gaming and hoarding are natural bedfellows, so it's sensible to try and get rid of stuff that you've had knocking about for years but rarely actually use. Similarly perhaps to NEG, I still think of a collection that was foolishly traded in for shiny new stuff (a large US Snes bundle for a PS1 - my little brother really wanted FF7). I've barely got rid of a single game or piece of hardware since but truly hope to break this mentality soon. 

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

I'm in the process of slowly selling off some of my retro collection. Where I want to be in a year or so's time is that I can look at my games collection sat on shelves and look at each game and think "wow, what a brilliant game". As opposed to thinking "I should try and play that game that I've owned for over a decade and haven't spent more than 30 minutes with" or "that's a mediocre game".

That's the grail for me. Although you try attaining that with a hardcore Jag collection. I have a lot of disposable income so I tend to be pretty rash in buying any old stuff just to try it out then selling it a couple of months later - I like to call it Lorfariusing - but I've had quite a cull recently too and feel better for it.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm narrowing things down to a core collection of original machines and I'll emulate the stuff I only have a passing interest in.  More power to the people who genuinely go for it and have thousands upon thousands of games all neatly catalogued away, but I would hate to be burdened with all those objects later in life.  I think we've finally reached a golden age in this hobby with the rise of the flash cart over recent years. 

Ultimately it's all just stuff. But it's stuff with feelings and memories attached, and there's nothing wrong with having it tucked away even if you're not using it all, as long as you don't feel it's getting out of hand.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

That's the grail for me. Although you try attaining that with a hardcore Jag collection. I have a lot of disposable income so I tend to be pretty rash in buying any old stuff just to try it out then selling it a couple of months later - I like to call it Lorfariusing - but I've had quite a cull recently too and feel better for it.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm narrowing things down to a core collection of original machines and I'll emulate the stuff I only have a passing interest in.  More power to the people who genuinely go for it and have thousands upon thousands of games all neatly catalogued away, but I would hate to be burdened with all those objects later in life.  I think we've finally reached a golden age in this hobby with the rise of the flash cart over recent years. 

Ultimately it's all just stuff. But it's stuff with feelings and memories attached, and there's nothing wrong with having it tucked away even if you're not using it all, as long as you don't feel it's getting out of hand.

That feelings and memories stuff is it really. I own a Japanese Capcom vs SNK poster to advertise the Dreamcast release. It's an awesome poster, that I've had framed and is hanging on my wall. It catches my eye and brings a smile every time I walk past it. It's an awesome poster. But actually play the game? I'd spend twenty minutes on it and then put it back in it's case.

Keep the stuff you already have sentimental memories attached to. If you have the space, and don't need the money, those are the ones that you're most likely to regret losing. You may never play them again, but even if it's a decade before you next happen to move that box in the attic, those are the ones that'll be pleasant to see again.

15 hours ago, U-1 said:

Trading in all my extensive JAP DC Collection (when I was hard up for cash and wanting an Xbox when they first launched) scarred me so badly that I now keep hold of practically everything!

My collection is way out of control :unsure:

In a similar vein, I sold my C64 and SNES collections within a few years of each other ('93 and '95, in fact). Regretted both fairly quickly and still do. Have sold pretty much nothing since. Only recently have o got rid of anything.

I'm terrible for buying stuff and have a habit of buying stuff because it's good and not because it's something I'll actually play.

I got my hands on a N64 Everdrive and that's stopped me from spending money on actual N64 games and I'm slowly getting rid of other stuff I've not touched. I used to find it hard to sell stuff, but now I use it to fund things I actually know I'm planning to use (I've sold a lot of stuff to buy photography gear for example) which makes it a lot easier.

23 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

As opposed to thinking "I should try and play that game that I've owned for over a decade and haven't spent more than 30 minutes with" or "that's a mediocre game".

That's actually how I feel about most of my PC Engine collection. However, I couldn't replace most of it at today's prices, and it all doesn't take up much space with the CD style cases. I don't have a strong attachment to the PCE as I do the Super NES/Super Famicom, it's more the cool Japanese machine I wanted as a kid but wasn't allowed, and didn't even manage to play until I was in my twenties.

I've sold things and regretted it, but only quite specific stuff. I think you'll generally find that you won't miss the majority of your collection. But there *will* inevitably be individual items in there that you later kick yourself about parting with (and if they're desirable games, the medium is now at the stage whereby they absolutely will be more expensive to buy back).

If you have the space (and I realise this sounds like a ludicrous indulgence) then I recommend having a dedicated room or at least area for retro stuff. Here's some practical and hard-won advice: Don't fill it with hundreds of games or boxes of stuff. Keep it super clean and tidy and uncluttered. Just have a couple of systems out (any more and you'll be overhwlemed by choice and probably won't end up playing anything) and only put the games out that you actually enjoy putting on regularly (a lot of the reason that Saturn and DC shmups and fighters are so valuable is because they are fantastic to put on for a 15 minute whirl, in a way few contemporary console games are). When I did this I found that I enjoyed my old games a great deal more, and much more than I ever expected...

I've been spending the last six months clearing out my loft. Selling almost everything just keeping hold of any handhelds or small game/watch style toys.

I've not played with them in years & would rather have it all gone.