Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread

14 minutes ago, Blunted said:

Lovely. I'm so jealous of people with space to actually set a studio out!

Yeah, I’m really lucky as it was my dad’s old home office, which is outside the main house in a small extension, which means even if I’m out there late at night I’m not disturbing anybody in the house. 

What do you think of the Craftsynth? I kickstarted it and loved the sound, but sold it recently because it felt like it really needs the companion app to get the most out of it and I work dawless apart from for recording.

I'm really tempted by the Argon8...

On 20/10/2019 at 18:17, Blunted said:

What do you think of the Craftsynth? I kickstarted it and loved the sound, but sold it recently because it felt like it really needs the companion app to get the most out of it and I work dawless apart from for recording.

I think it's a great little synth for the money, and whilst I agree it's a bit help to use the app, I frequently use mine in a little minimal 'sofa' setup with my Digitakt.  I've got a few core presets loaded up in bank 1 that are bread & butter sounds I use when jamming with the Digis..

sofa-rig.thumb.jpg.373ae75fe3db9a4fad2fda05b728db7e.jpg

On 19/10/2019 at 20:48, RiK said:

Current incarnation of my music room...  

studiosetup-2019-07.jpg

Couple of new additions since that pic, including Behringer K-2 and a Volca Nu-Bass, and currently winging their way from Thomann are the Behringer Pro-1 and Crave as well..

It's always a work in progress and things change around depending on what I'm noodling with at the time.  in the near future I'm hoping to add the Korg Minilogue XD module, and lusting after the Hydrasynth, though don't have the spare cash for that right now and I'm strict with myself, no credit for toys, so I'll have to wait until I've saved a few pennies before buying anything else.. 

Bloody hell, man. That's quite the setup!

Been having a pretty rough time recently with family and work stress, but I woke up a couple of days ago to find someone had paid a few quid for the short pay-what-you-want ambient EP I put up on bandcamp a month or two ago and it's made me happier than I can put in words.

On 22/10/2019 at 17:10, Eighthours said:

Bloody hell, man. That's quite the setup!

Cheers. it's always a work in progress.  Wasn't happy with the above setup as I really wanted the Prophecy front & centre, so I took advantage of a monitor upgrade in my office to stick the old one in the studio and have a shift round at the same time, here's where it's at this evening...

2019-11-studio-layout.thumb.jpg.d426211d3b5d7f38fdb3e1d6640393b6.jpg

On 03/11/2019 at 14:40, Blunted said:

Got a NDLR arriving at some point in the next few days, really looking forward to getting it. Should hopefully make up for my abysmal keyboard skills.

I'm planning to use my newly-found singledom to hammer the piano course that I bought in January and have barely touched. Just need to wait for my ex to move out (next week)! Can then hopefully dedicate fuckloads of my time to music.

On 03/11/2019 at 01:42, RiK said:

Cheers. it's always a work in progress.  Wasn't happy with the above setup as I really wanted the Prophecy front & centre, so I took advantage of a monitor upgrade in my office to stick the old one in the studio and have a shift round at the same time, here's where it's at this evening...

How's the Deepmind? I really fancy getting one, seems incredible for the price. 

On 07/11/2019 at 14:14, mindgames said:

How's the Deepmind? I really fancy getting one, seems incredible for the price. 

Well worth it in my opinion.  Very happy with mine.  

Top tip though, definitely get the 12. You'll want to use unison to get the best out of it and so you're often going to be halving your available voices.

• 2 weeks later...

I have absolutely no music ability. I did have ambitions 30+ years ago to get into drumming and took several lessons but I didn't hold the course. I bought a Yamaha DJX keyboard somewhere in the mid 90s for a bit of noodling and it was basically a toy. Had a bit of fun with it though. Then early 2000s I messed with fruitloops etc. Anyway I have just always enjoyed twiddling and making weird noises. Bought a Akai MPK 2 the other month and again just faffed, have great fun making dank sounds.

Well I've just bought a second hand Kaossilator Pro and have to say I'm pretty excited. It looks right up my street and level of knowledge aka drag my finger on a touch screen and make squeaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god, I've had so much fun with the Kaossillater I've bought a Kaoss Pad KP3. I've also bought a little Pioneer DJ Mixing thing and some monitor speakers. Plus a sturdy and rather large folding desk on order to house it all on, along with my laptop and MPK2.

So it begins.

20191208_233144.jpg

I've just made something on the Kaossilator and Kaoss Pad that would have had me jumping back in the day. It's obviously shit but just sitting here making nasty electric guitar riffs with massive beats and a few flairs threw in had my hairs standing on end. Tremendous fun. 

I wish I'd learnt when I had my early electronic music making pangs, back in the late 80s. Too old to learn now but just faffing I can make sounds I love.

Brilliant, brilliant fun.

FWIW, you will learn about a million times quicker than you would have then, I remember swearing at MIDI stuff in the mid 90s with no internet to refer to, these days you just open YouTube and you're almost guaranteed to find a helpful video explaining exactly what you need to do for anything.

On 08/11/2019 at 22:17, RiK said:

Well worth it in my opinion.  Very happy with mine.  

Top tip though, definitely get the 12. You'll want to use unison to get the best out of it and so you're often going to be halving your available voices.

I ignored your tip and went for the 6, mainly for cost/size reasons (£399 on Amazon which is nuts for the spec). I've already found myself running out of voices when messing about trying to push it but I don't think I'll miss them too much when I start using it properly. 

What a machine though, deep is such an apt description. I've just been going through the presets so far and trying to break down how they work and there's so much to consider. I can't wait to spend some quality time with it over Christmas.

Making noises for fun continues. It's amazing what I can run through the Kaossilator and Kaoss Pad and manipulate, I was even sampling youtube earlier from a line out on my phone.

The joypad is for scale.

20191222_205237.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loving everything electronic music making (aka squeaks and bleeps) and been having a lot of fun with the Korg gadget on Switch. I really fancied a synth with keys, seeing as my Kaossilator is pad based and well the Monotron is more like a stylophone with its ribbon. So I went looking at synths. I found a Monologue at a hell of a price but wait, what's this just below on the sales page...it's a Minilogue XD.

Fuck it I thought, you only get to make Forbidden Planet sounds once.

It's coming at the weekend. Very, very excited.

edit* Oh man this was a seriously large drunk buy. I was sober looking at the Monologue, that was well under half the price of the XD. A few too many sherbets and it's crazy town, you only live once drunk nonsense. I need to curb all purchasing when I've had a few. Still super excited though haha.

314051-miniloge_xd_top.jpg

On 16/01/2020 at 19:02, Vimster said:

The worst thing I ever drunk-purchased was a copy of TOCA Race Driver 3 for the Xbox.  That's pretty impressive.

Haha. Well I had soberly decided to buy the Monologue which was on sale but once the drinks had happened the price got doubled.

Things have changed since the above post anyway and I've actually knocked over a hundred off the bill. I received an email stating a delay of a week on the Minilogue XD due to a stock error. Showing I'm not as focused or nearly as knowledgeable as you guys in knowing what I want and buying a specific tool for a specific function I took the opportunity to renege, slightly, on the expensive purchase and requested a MiniBrute 2 instead. The XD is obviously the superior but it's a bit too much kit for my noodling needs.

I'd been doing homework on the Monologue and had decided to go the mono-synth route as for me it's all about soundscapes and noises and my complete lack of musical ability would probably see me overwhelmed with a poly. So yeah I took the temp out of stock as a sign to save some money and go with what I'd decided, a mono-synth. Just with a patch-bay lol.

Coming today, will post pics.

EDIT*

I'm in heaven. Two minutes in and I've got Doctor Who sounds forming whilst in bed.

20200117_131737.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/01/2020 at 00:10, Blunted said:

Good on Korg for doing something a bit mental. I'm more excited by the Wavestate though... 

Wavestate sounds great. I've long been a fan of the Wavestation sound and still have an SR in my rack.

Mad to think that the WaveState is all running on a Raspberry Pi 3 though, eh?

On 14/01/2020 at 17:46, amc said:

Oh man this was a seriously large drunk buy. I was sober looking at the Monologue, that was well under half the price of the XD. A few too many sherbets and it's crazy town, you only live once drunk nonsense. I need to curb all purchasing when I've had a few. Still super excited though haha.

How are you enjoying the XD then?  The module is next on my list..