rllmuk
Rowan Morrison

Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread

Received it on Friday and it’s totally amazing. The only limit is imagination! I’m still making my way through the basics, but using the 2 inputs and outputs I can make a patch for vocals and guitar simultaneously on separate paths, including loopers, loads of FX, expression pedal input, sequencers... it’s ridiculous. 

On 13/05/2019 at 12:37, Eighthours said:

Received it on Friday and it’s totally amazing. The only limit is imagination! I’m still making my way through the basics, but using the 2 inputs and outputs I can make a patch for vocals and guitar simultaneously on separate paths, including loopers, loads of FX, expression pedal input, sequencers... it’s ridiculous. 

It looks amazing. Is there any way for it to make sounds in itself or does it need some kind of midi input?

Edit: Just had a proper look and it seems you can add a keyboard as a module. Awesome!

2 hours ago, mindgames said:

It looks amazing. Is there any way for it to make sounds in itself or does it need some kind of midi input?

Edit: Just had a proper look and it seems you can add a keyboard as a module. Awesome!

Yep, you can 'make' a keyboard on the device, or get it to run a sequence of notes with a sequencer module, or you can use a sequencer to make generative music if that's your thing and you make the right connections. I haven't tried making a synth patch myself yet, but there are a few preset patches on the machine using subtractive and FM synthesis that sound surprisingly big/good, and of course you can put those through the amazing FX modules.

Yesterday I made a guitar patch that was so sublime in terms of reverb and delay, I could have cried!

• Upvote 2

Haha! I hope you enjoy it! I find it endlessly inspirational. The modulation possibilities alone are insane. Pads for days.

*Edit* I'm currently waiting by the post box for a Bastl Microgranny. It left London four fucking days ago. Can't wait to mess with some noisy granular sample stuff.

I had to think hard about it. Either this or the Korg Mini XD, but this has more options in OSC modulation and sequencing. Similar to what the Korg can do, but with more power on the digital side. And its kinda 6 note vs 4 note which means bigger chords and as you say...far more interesting pads. 

Only thing it misses is CV but it can output the XYZ modulation via midi which means i may be able to coax some interesting modulation out of my other synths (esp. Cypher 2).

Love the way you can record knob changes per step as well. Sure that will come in useful.

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell.

It even records button presses. If you double press the cut off filter envelope whilst recording over a pattern (or any of the buttons apart from the amp envelope i think) it'll record those too.

So you could set up 5 LFOs at different speeds modulating different things and have them play per note (or chord). 

If you record a piece whilst hitting random all steps it just randomises everything. Fucking hell. Then you can turn off the Rec and start modulating in real time.

So like....pull all the volumes down and fade all 6 OSCs which are now going fucking batshit.

Sadly theres no pan so everythings coming out mono, but i guess you could multi track each pass. But shit, just playing a single OSC sounds mental.