Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread

Fallen down a bit of a rabbit hole during lockdown, have not recorded anything of note since finishing my music degree 20 years ago.

Was bought NI Komplete Select for my birthday, which I shortly after upgraded to the full Komplete, which gives a massive amount of content.

Next thing I know, I now own the Komplete Control S61 MK2. It's glorious and the DAW integration is sublime. Pretty lights!

IMG_20200619_194441.jpg

Hope this is OK to ask but does anyone know if you can get Komplete on disc?, have the serial but its been a pita to download any of them on slow internet. Was hoping I could get the discs from somewhere and copy them over and get Access to activate them

On 24/06/2020 at 13:48, yakumo said:

Hope this is OK to ask but does anyone know if you can get Komplete on disc?, have the serial but its been a pita to download any of them on slow internet. Was hoping I could get the discs from somewhere and copy them over and get Access to activate them

I don't think you can get them on a cd/blu-ray, but I know that some of the higher packages come in their own hard disk. Worth checking the NI website through.

Still loving my S61 MK2 a couple of weeks in, the integration with Cubase is fantastic particularly when it comes to hands on mixing.

• 4 weeks later...

So I sold some assorted bits I wasn't using and began my slow descent into bankruptcy/divorce:

Screenshot_20200723_192646_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.d9956feb151071182caf6505f5d7148f.jpg

I'm telling myself 84hp is plenty and no one ever got addicted by smoking it just the once. I don't believe me though.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, apologies for the cross post, but I don't know if that's such a Bad Thing like it was on usenet days. Anyway, I asked this not really knowing where the best place to ask was, and then found this thread. I need some DJ monitors, feels people here may be able to help with this sort of thing. I really don't know what I'm looking for really so I'm a bit afraid of investing money in the wrong kind of thing....thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just had notification my Nanoloop hardware unit is being shipped. Backed this ages ago. The KS hasn't been great, very poor communication and hardly any updates. I have a horrible feeling this isn't going to be great, but we'll see when it arrives. 

23 hours ago, Vimster said:

Just had notification my Nanoloop hardware unit is being shipped. Backed this ages ago. The KS hasn't been great, very poor communication and hardly any updates. I have a horrible feeling this isn't going to be great, but we'll see when it arrives. 

I was very close to backing that but resisted in the end. I hope it's good when it arrives and it's just been covid stress/general 2020-ness to blame for the lack of updates etc.

On 03/11/2020 at 16:05, Blunted said:

I was very close to backing that but resisted in the end. I hope it's good when it arrives and it's just been covid stress/general 2020-ness to blame for the lack of updates etc.

I got mine over the weekend. It's a strange piece of kit, essentially a circuit board with a thick layer of perspex bolted on and the buttons mounted on that. You have to load the software onto it via an audio cable. Very tricky to use as it's all just LEDs and button-combos you have to remember from the manual. Feels a bit rickety, the buttons wobble and spin on the unit I have. Sound quality is good though. Not sure how much use I'll get from this but we'll see.

Not my video but this'll give you a good idea of what the unit does.

On 23/07/2020 at 19:28, Blunted said:

So I sold some assorted bits I wasn't using and began my slow descent into bankruptcy/divorce:

Screenshot_20200723_192646_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.d9956feb151071182caf6505f5d7148f.jpg

I'm telling myself 84hp is plenty and no one ever got addicted by smoking it just the once. I don't believe me though.

So I've managed to go from that to this. When people call it Eurocrack they aren't joking...

Screenshot_2020-11-15-21-38-20-94_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.9e3119f18cfa94a212b6e9a3bf4833e9.jpg

50 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Wow, you have a Performer! Did you build it?

I wish I could say yes, but I'm not quite up to that yet, bought it from a friend who does the "build three, keep one" thing.

I have DIYd a bunch of stuff, all through-hole so far though. The Zlob Diode Chaos was my most recent build.

1 hour ago, Blunted said:

I wish I could say yes, but I'm not quite up to that yet, bought it from a friend who does the "build three, keep one" thing.

I have DIYd a bunch of stuff, all through-hole so far though. The Zlob Diode Chaos was my most recent build.

I wish I could say I was game for SMD soldering but even my Radio Music ended up sounding a bit funny and it took the wind out of my sails. I've seen a few Performer videos and it looks like an ideal alternative to an Eloquencer.

Yeah I've been too scared to try it so far too, although I received a Feedback Modules Squeeze kit in the post recently, so I'm going to give it a go soon. I think I enjoy DIY just as much as actually playing with my rack tbh.

The Performer is great, does the Elektron conditional stuff, can do some nice generative things and the four CV ins allow some neat modulation of various parameters. I've not really dug too deep into the curve tracks yet, but they seem like a cool way to do complex LFO/envelope stuff. Oh and it's acting as a midi to CV bridge for my MPC. All in all, very happy with it.

Point to us where your UK number one and tracks you contributed to Ocean's Eleven are I guess?

The dude writes populist electronica, he managed to get the Elvis/JXL track into a commercial this year, 17 years after it came out. I'm not sure shitting on him while he's actually successfully producing music people like and listen to is really a worthwhile endeavour is it?