rllmuk
Rowan Morrison

Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread

On 14/01/2020 at 17:46, amc said:

Oh man this was a seriously large drunk buy. I was sober looking at the Monologue, that was well under half the price of the XD. A few too many sherbets and it's crazy town, you only live once drunk nonsense. I need to curb all purchasing when I've had a few. Still super excited though haha.

How are you enjoying the XD then?  The module is next on my list..

26 minutes ago, RiK said:

Wavestate sounds great. I've long been a fan of the Wavestation sound and still have an SR in my rack.

Mad to think that the WaveState is all running on a Raspberry Pi 3 though, eh?

I've got @cavalcade's old SR in my rack that I love to bits, but I sincerely hope they announce a Wavestate module because I'll be buying that for sure.

I saw some chat about it running on a Pi, is that actually the case? Very impressive what it's capable of if so.

19 hours ago, RiK said:

How are you enjoying the XD then?  The module is next on my list..

No, no didn't get it in the end. Received an email that delivery would be delayed so replied back for them to change my order for a Minibrute 2. I'd sobered up by then and there was over a £100 price difference. I'd been looking at Monosynths and modular stuff before the drunk ordering anyway. Got it running into a Kaossilator Pro and Kaosspad KP3 and having my own little rave sessions. Love it.

No doubt the XD is the better of the two but that £100 saving justified me buying something I'd only use for wacky noise creation. Never going to be proficient enough to be uploading to Soundcloud lol.

Put a pic up on the last page but here it is again, 56k is long dead now hopefully haha.

20200203_114326.jpg

On 15/02/2020 at 19:53, Blunted said:

I saw some chat about it running on a Pi, is that actually the case? Very impressive what it's capable of if so.

Yep, Raspberry Pi 3 Compute Module in there...  Nick Batt took the lid off and posted a video on FB..

?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAhsRs5u_9kO302HuNtO

Morning all, I've got my eye on this kickstarter. Love the sounds of it's big brother, but love the price point of this: 

Also got offered a tascam 006 for £30. I have a massive soft spot for 4 tracking and don't like the knob free interfaces of the iOS equivalents. I'd borrowed my brothers semi permanently in my teens and twenties until he requisitioned it. The one on my OP1 was a selling point for me too. 

Is there a soundcloud sharing thread here now?

• Upvote 1

Hah, I literally just got an ELZ_1 in the post :)

Screenshot_20200218_112900_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.9fd0931e2d02e1d65e255671d94ae19d.jpg

Very impressed with it from the 20 minutes or so I've played with it so far. Mainly bought it for pissing about on the go and in bed and it looks like it'll be ideal for that, plenty of scope for interesting synthesis.

The Audio Club thread is where most people tend to post their stuff: 

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new midi controller, specifically a NI Komplete Kontrol M32.

Any reasons not to? Or other alternatives in that price range. Only criteria? Must have nobs!

Good idea, but I was thinking of pairing it with something like Maschine or Maschine Mikro as if I want to get back into this I want to do things a little differently,and try a little more performance led composition rather than exclusively in a DAW. And that'll obviously give me the drum pads plus so much more.

Anyhoo, it's only a midi controller and bought already. Gear decision making is a creativity killer - just get jamming! ;)

My alt rock band, We Used To See The Sky, have released a new single called Deep Fake this morning. To promote it on Facebook in the lead up, I made 7 videos using just an iPad and a whole bunch of music apps. I took samples from the track and totally manipulated/mangled them, creating a variety of moods over the course of the campaign. It was really fun to think of a new thing to do every day! All videos edited in Lumafusion on the iPad.

Have a look! The campaign had a countdown theme - see if you can guess what each one is and what it represents. Requires all-round geek knowledge.

And here’s the single itself if you want to have a listen: 

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mIeKSvA2hJGicegpRapFp

Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/gb/album/deep-fake-single/1501828656

Far behind the hardware owners in here, but I've been getting back into making music recently and made a firm resolve to actually learn synthesis a bit more. Anything more than the preset tweaking and random knob twiddling I've been doing so far.

So I've been working through Syntorial (https://www.syntorial.com) which has no doubt been mentioned on here before. But what a revelation! You can tell it's all a bit DIY, but I'm genuinely listening differently in the week or so I've been at it. Couldn't be more impressed.

• Upvote 2

Cross posting from the Good Covid News thread:

A couple of music apps from Korg and Moog are free to download for the next few days to keep people entertained while trapped at home!

Korg Kaosillator

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/03/korg-kaossilator-app-for-android-ios-is-currently-available-for-free.html

iOS Moog Model D:

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/03/moog-is-giving-away-his-impressive-model-d-app.html

• Upvote 1

On 13/03/2020 at 21:16, StephenM said:

Far behind the hardware owners in here, but I've been getting back into making music recently and made a firm resolve to actually learn synthesis a bit more. Anything more than the preset tweaking and random knob twiddling I've been doing so far.

So I've been working through Syntorial (https://www.syntorial.com) which has no doubt been mentioned on here before. But what a revelation! You can tell it's all a bit DIY, but I'm genuinely listening differently in the week or so I've been at it. Couldn't be more impressed.

Syntorial is brilliant! I must go back to it.

• Upvote 1

Just ordered a Korg Volca Beats.

Think it'll fit in with my attempt to create the simple lost acid tracks I'd envisioned in my minds eye back in my youthful days .

Can't wait.

I like the Beats, but the snare is a touch weedy and really needs combined with the clap a lot of the time. If you're handy with a soldering iron there is a mod that really improves it a lot.

Finally bothered my arse to build a wee additional shelf in my desk for effects pedals. Quite pleased with how it turned out, just need to paint it white.

Screenshot_20200403_151723_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.64d1b20c027f9acc50f5be11da2aa499.jpg

Managed to find a cheap (£50) Yamaha TG33 the other day too which is nice.

• Upvote 3

Anyone with an iPad or iPhone really should get Drambo by Beepstreet. It’s a modular groovebox, sorta like what an Elektron Octatrack Mk 3 (ie. something that hasn’t even been built yet!) might be. It’s amazing, an all-timer: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/drambo/id1469365718

A guy called Ben Richards has been making loads of tutorial vids about it. Definitely watch the first couple if you’re on the fence, but trust me, this is a no-brainer of a purchase:

Got an MPC Live due on Monday. Excited to finally replace my ageing MPC 1000, particularly with something I can fuck about with on the sofa and in bed on battery power.

• Upvote 1

On 01/05/2020 at 19:04, Blunted said:

Got an MPC Live due on Monday. Excited to finally replace my ageing MPC 1000, particularly with something I can fuck about with on the sofa and in bed on battery power.

Did it come? How is it?

Delayed until today, now due between 3 and 4pm. Not sulking like a massive child all yesterday was difficult.

On 05/05/2020 at 11:31, Eighthours said:

Did it come? How is it?

MPC live has gradually morphed into a lovely bit of kit. There's rumours of more soft synth additions coming soon, but even in its current form I think apart from the Deluge you can't really do much more on a standalone bit of equipment. My only criticism of it is the slightly archaic MPC workflow, but to be fair the weird way it works does tend to foster creativity if you're used to PC track-based sequencing. I find i do a lot more beat mangling on the MPC. 

There is an MPC Live 2 due to be released soon, but it's the same hardware with a couple of extra buttons and a built in speaker, so now is a great time to pick up a discounted Mk 1. 

• Upvote 1

Is there a decent alternative for a Mac to Melodics to learn piano/keys? if not I'll get a subscription, but just curious what other people are doing or have done to learn to play.

Is there a Piano learners thread?

My mate's 4 year old daughter is on the right track

20200521_113720.jpg

Screenshot_20200521-113647_Gallery.jpg

• Upvote 1

I got myself an elektron:cycles to get back into making musics. I also moved from soundcloud to YouTube because soundcloud was all full up.

The cycles took a while for me to get to grips with, it actually clicked a lot better for me once I'd stuck some dots onto the trigger buttons so I knew where the notes are :P  I love it now though. You get a lovely range of tones out of it and a really nice low end.

Here's two of my early tries...  

They're a bit broad in styles just because I try everything when I'm learning new stuff.

• Upvote 3