Rowan Morrison

Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread

You are teetering at the top of a slippery slope ;)

My Eurorack journey continues in a rather silent fashion. There is activity but nothing that makes noises as I'm still building modules. Finished a VCF and half way through the Spring Reverb build.

Oh I'm well aware of that :lol:

You are infinitely more patient then me, not sure I could do the whole build-a-synth from scratch thing. Not without something to play with in the meantime anyway :)

Now I'm thinking a 0-Coast might be a good pairing for the Neutron, something completely different. Anyone got/played with one?

I started with the 0-coast and really enjoyed it, but quickly went full modular so it doesn't get the use it should do. I got it to pair with my minilogue partly because of the different approach to synthesis. I was thinking of selling it if you're considering getting one!

• Upvote 1

Anyone want to buy my DSI Evolver so I can buy stoofle's 0-Coast? :D

Screenshot_20181030-055816.thumb.jpg.56070498bba48549a54f7a3b612e4ead.jpg

Would do it for £325 including postage for rllmuk mates rates.

Mint condition, owned since new.

It's gone already, sold within 24 hours on eBay. I'm pretty sure I will regret it some day, but I told myself at the start of the year that I won't hold onto equipment I'm not making use of.

Selling my 101 hurt more tbh.

• Empathy 1

On 14/10/2018 at 07:54, Norfolk Enchants said:

That’s on my list. I want to build a Turing Machine first. 

Just saw the Mylar Melodies video on the Radio Music, guest starring the Turing Machine. They both feel like a perfect fit for what I'd like to do, which is based more on random chance and happy accidents than something intricately planned. If I can scrape some cash together for a skiff I think I'll build both of these.

*puts fingers in ears and closes eyes*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Absolutely loving this wee combo that I got from @stoofle:

Screenshot_20181104-062125.thumb.jpg.1985f64ce5f827bd23274ecaf964f057.jpg

Don't have a fucking clue what I'm doing, but I'm having fun doing it.

• Upvote 3

Glad you're enjoying it, there's plenty to be exploring with the two of them together! I'm trying to convince myself that I don't miss it.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Norfolk Enchants said:

KMR Audio are selling the Happy Ending Kit for £99 delivered. That’s where I got mine.

Thanks- it's something I considered but I'm after something more portable and cat-proof, as one of ours is a cable chewer. If the Make Noise skiff had a lid, it'd be ideal.

I have a Synthstrom Deluge arriving next week. Have to wait until the 19th (my birthday) to open it, though! Can't wait - it looks like an amazing little box.

• Upvote 2

Currently on an overnight ferry to Belfast from Liverpool. Laptop with rllmuk on it, a remarkably decent chicken curry and cranking out some shite drum and bass on an MPC Live.

Life is pretty good. 

20181107_224936-min.jpg

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

Anyone else order an OP-Z? Mine should be arriving tomorrow, looking forward to some portable jamming.

Ah, excellent, definitely let us know what it's like! I've heard mixed reports (where there have been complaints, they've mainly been about the battery life compared to the original specs), but plenty of people already really love the device and I know that Teenage Engineering will bring a veritable fuckload of updates to the OP-Z over the coming months and years. Having missed the boat with the OP-1, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I pick up a Z before long.

My Synthstrom Deluge has arrived. Can I resist it for 11 days? Better go watch a million videos about it to satisfy my craving!

I've played with a Deluge and an MPC Live as I was looking for something to complement my OP-1. I think the Deluge is amazing. Genuinely fabulous bit of kit. The MPC, in comparison, has a hideous workflow, serious missing features and is occasionally an absolute pain in the arse sometimes to get anything done on. But, in the end, certain things it could do (I love the pad chord mode and step sequencer), massive capacity (I currently have my entire sample library ready to go and portable), the double MIDI and multiple outs and the fact the OP-1 could plug some of the synthesis gaps meant I went for it instead. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Deluge though - it is, quite simply, marvelous. 

I've ordered a couple of small soldering kits to practice before I feel capable enough to not screw up a DIY build. Watching Robin Vincent of Molten Modular narrowly avoiding making a pig's ear out of his Turing Machine last night was a confidence boost. :lol:

• Upvote 2

I have no musical training (apart from 2 years of compulsory recorder playing at school), but I'd love to be able to mess around and create something like this:

I'm looking for some software to do this (haven't got the room for a big rack of stuff like above), and my amateur googling has led me to reaktor 6. I'm not necessarily going to be making any tracks, just something to play around with. Any recommendations to get me up and running? Would I need any hardware to run alongside it, or anything that would make the learning curve more enjoyable?

Thanks!

I have survived part of the way through my tortuous journey towards my birthday next Monday without being able to touch my new Deluge. Watching tons of videos about it, reading the manual, and knowing that I have a fuckton of Rytm drums to program for a band rehearsal tomorrow are all helping!

• Upvote 1