Mentazm

Atlanta - New Donald Glover show on FX

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Cow-Appreciation-Day

its real!

Right, so in the Season 1 finalé

Spoiler

The uber driver who got shot, was he an actual criminal who the cops were busting while the guys happened to be there or did someone call the cops because there were 3 black guys in a car outside his house and that was the OTT police response?

?

I was made aware of this upcoming film recently, Sorry to Bother You, so anybody who likes Lakeith Stanfield (and who seriously wouldn't after watching this TV series :D) should probably keep an eye out for it, due out in the US in July, but looks like it will have very limited distribution. Looks really good, a point which the trailer does kind of shove in your face :P

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Naieve said:

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Cow-Appreciation-Day

its real!

Right, so in the Season 1 finalé

Hide contents

The uber driver who got shot, was he an actual criminal who the cops were busting while the guys happened to be there or did someone call the cops because there were 3 black guys in a car outside his house and that was the OTT police response?

?

Spoiler

To me i took it to be the former.

I love how Earn asks to check the pockets and then when we get to the end of the episode we actually see the horrid reason why. 

I love this show. 

This thread is all sorts of fucked up if you are, like me, watching it legit on Sky which is up to Episode 2 of Season 2 via FOX. I skipped the BBC2 showings when I realised I could get them all off FOX on catchup.

Spoiler for Epi2 Season 2

Spoiler

Kat William was awesome, after the amount of shit he's got off the police over the years it must have felt good to play that part - loved it when he let the gator out.

But anyway, its great in a really understated kind of way. The episode in Season 1 with the TV show adverts really confused my missus when she walked in half way through. Very inventive.

Yeah I binged the first series over the weekend as they were all on iPlayer, I had seen them before but watching again was possibly even better, I seemed to laugh at the subtle humour a hell of a lot more. I think I'll rewatch the 2nd series again soon. For anyone who hasn't tried this yet get it whilst it's on iPlayer, it really is great.

I just watched the first episode of the first series of this on iPlayer and I ended up watching three in a row. This show is AMAZING. It's pitch perfect. A beautiful blend of so much goodness. And proper laugh out loud funny. Why is this thread only 2 pages long? Why did it take me this long to watch?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, barkbat said:

Why is this thread only 2 pages long?

Subject matter maybe? Despite it originally airing in late 2016, it was only when it hit a mainstream UK channel that I paid any attention to its existence. If you look at the critical consensus, this should be way more popular than it is currently. I think it will sadly become a cult classic and not hit the level of popularity it deserves to. I'd agree though, it's probably the best thing I've seen in a very long time.

Is the bit in episode 2 a reference to Pulp Fiction? as that is what came to mind when I saw that bit :)

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Is the bit in episode 2 a reference to Pulp Fiction? as that is what came to mind when I saw that bit :)

Which part? I may have to sit through a third sitting. 

Remember to spoiler tag the answer. 

It's when Paper Boi is given the special chicken by the intense waiter who likes real rap. And if it's not a reference to Pulp Fiction, then both are referencing some earlier film I'm not aware of.

OK so there I was watching S2 of Atlanta. And don't get me wrong it's fucking great and different and intelligent and funny.

Then Ep 6 happens. God I love the Insidious nature of British Comedy. Cos if it didn't just turn into the League/Psychoville. 

How did Glover and Stanfield keep a straight face. 

10/10

It's really weird and hilarious and dark and easily one of the best things American TV has done for a long time. 

• Upvote 2

So I finished watching the first series on the iPlayer, it really is something special, the sort of programme which only comes along rarely.

Actually due to impatience, I hopped into my DeLorean and went back to the future, circa May 2019, when I assume the BBC will be broadcasting the 2nd series and actually finished watching all of that while I was waiting for the rest of the first series to be broadcast.

There is a definite shift in tone compared to the first series and the subtitle of the series being Robbin' Season is referenced in every episode with at least one theft taking place. The overall vibe is more sombre, which might be in part due to the time of year it is set in and what happens in a fair amount of it, though they do still have some fun. Certainly some fairly bizarre situations happen :)

Spoiler

Is Vin Diesel Black?

:lol: shame they never chose to answer that question

19 hours ago, cassidy said:

OK so there I was watching S2 of Atlanta. And don't get me wrong it's fucking great and different and intelligent and funny.

Then Ep 6 happens. God I love the Insidious nature of British Comedy. Cos if it didn't just turn into the League/Psychoville. 

How did Glover and Stanfield keep a straight face. 

10/10

It's really weird and hilarious and dark and easily one of the best things American TV has done for a long time. 

I watched this one last night. Superb lol

• Upvote 1

On 28/06/2018 at 15:14, SpagMasterSwift said:

I watched the 'German' one last night and it completely weirded out my wife so I can see why its not blowing up the mainstream. 

There are arguably a couple of episodes that have that odd tone in the 2nd series, the backend of

Spoiler

Woods

and the Michael Jackson homage episode being the two obvious other ones. Historical German cultural things do seem to be quite odd, as that episode illustrates :D Though it mainly seemed designed to show how much of an areshole Earn is, a recurrent theme from the first series.

Spoiler

Not to mention the scene in Episode 9, reminded me of of some of the abuse photos from Abu Ghraib.

One episode of season 2 left and my word this is insanely good, loved the first season but this one is on another level - the haircut one reminded me of Fly in breaking bad and the piano one after just blew my socks off. My wife was pretty freaked out by that one due to not liking clowns/masks etc but even she admits it’s a show that seems to be on for 10secs as it’s so good you can’t look away!

I don’t know anyone who watches it and this thread is a hundre pages short but it feels like a secret show that needs to be seen by everyone!

• Upvote 1

It's incredible. Donald Glover and Miro Hurai are geniuses. All the characters are great but Darius is on another level.

19 hours ago, Minion said:

It's incredible. Donald Glover and Miro Hurai are geniuses. All the characters are great but Darius is on another level.

According to Brian Tyree Henry himself, he just might be that :P It's all in his head.

It's a bit amusingly ironic that the show is ostensibly about an upcoming rapper and his entourage/manager, yet that character is played by a person who doesn't rap but both his male co-stars do in real life, but not in the show, that's good acting :)

• Upvote 1

It might help if the topic was changed to at least let people know it's on the iPlayer for less than 2 weeks and is actually brilliant, as at this point only the people curious as to why this topic is getting bumped recently would even find out why they NEED to see this show while they still easily can. The OP is letting this show down.

• Upvote 1

I have watched the first 2 episodes of the second series and I have to say it's a little disappointing compared to the brilliant first one.

I really miss Zazie Beetz, she better turn up later on in the series.

Finished last night. Nothing I can say that's not already been said :) 

I think ep6 was the stand out episode for me but every episode had a way of drawing you in. 

Rewatching Champaigne Papi from series 2 (the Drake house one) and I think it is my favourite. This show is so good, watched most of it twice already and could easily watch another few times, the humour is so subtle and clever. The only tv shows I have watched this much so far are the Sopranos and The Wire. It's up there!

Darius is the best character in tv ever along with Omar.

I’ve really warmed to Paperboy in season 2, the haircut episode was brilliant along with 

Spoiler

his quest to keep it real and come to terms with what I think was the death of his mother at the start and the ghost of his absentee father in the woods...plan on rewatching the lot once the series is over as the deeper stuff is probs going over my head. 

Love the humour also, it’s more on a real world level than the usual forced jokes of most shows.

Supposedly you already saw his father, in the very first episode of Series 2, he's the alligator man, though that seems unsubstantiated at present.

Spoiler

The person in the Woods might actually be real, hard to tell as that seemed more of a fairytale atmosphere after the very real near death experience he had minutes earlier

Up to the barbershop episode now, the standard really stayed high from S1. I think I may hate Bibby more than anyone I've seen on TV in my life, and that includes war and murder documentaries.

• Upvote 1

I preferred to the first season of this a lot. Found the characterisation to be a bit all over the place in this one, and he spent three episodes seemingly trying to make Get Out.

It's still a cut above most things, and has some excellent moments, and Darius, but I'd be happy with it finishing there. Not least because the next logical step is

a big old escalation in their circumstances, as happens to so many shows a few series in.