Mentazm

Atlanta - New Donald Glover show on FX

image009-800x450.jpg

Just watched the third episode. Don Glover is a hip-hop manager (I think, it's unclear just now) who manages his cousin 'Paperboy' who's just scored a breakout hit. However, he's still slinging drugs. Highest ratings for a comedy on FX. Really enjoyed the first three episodes, it's got this weird tone to it, quite trippy. Anyone else watching yet?

I loved the first episode of this, can't wait to watch more when I've got some time.

Donald Glover really is a wonderful, talented and imaginative artist. I miss his Troy but it's so good to see him move on and achieve even more. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is easily the best show on TV right now. I never thought I'd enjoy a show with Justin Bieber on it ever, and yet here we are. There's something incredibly delicate about the way the show is put together that I still can't quite put my finger on, but in an era of bombastic high-concept TV shows, and given the subject matter, it's amazing to see such dedication to creating such a subtle series about tiny earthquakes. 

I'd been meaning to watch for ages, and caught up this week. It's an absolute peach (eyy) and getting better with every episode. 4 was just beautiful - a trading quest like in Link's Awakening, interrupted because y'know, actual real life.

Started watching this, only watched the first three episodes but knew I was on to a winner after this exchange

Didn't they kill Malcolm, too?

Oh, no, they say that.

But ain't nobody seen the body since the funeral.

That's how funerals work.

Watched the first three episodes of this tonight after not taking to the first episode when it first came out.

Not sure what I was thinking then as its brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Thought this weeks episode was incredible.

Spoiler

Lovely little nod to Get Out with the photograph scene. The ostrich egg part was so surreal.

Even though it doesn't credit him playing him, pretty sure it was Glover playing Teddy Perkins.

This shot of Darius looking up at the window was so creepy

KuhJyec.gif

• Upvote 2

I've just caught up on the second season and i have to admit it has been fantastic although massively surreal. 

That Teddy episode was mental and i'm pretty sure Darius is my favourite character in the show.

But a quick question spoiler-ed for anyone who's not up to date this season.

Spoiler

What was the anniversary mentioned in episode eight?

I can only assume it was the shooting from the first season but with the scene with the guy from Moonlight and the crazy Hobo (who at one point i almost thought was a ghost of his father) i'm not sure if i missed something else?

3 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Hide contents

What was the anniversary mentioned in episode eight?

I can only assume it was the shooting from the first season but with the scene with the guy from Moonlight and the crazy Hobo (who at one point i almost thought was a ghost of his father) i'm not sure if i missed something else?

Spoiler

I think it was Alfred 'Paper Boi' Mothers passing anniversary, that's why we saw the scene of him in the lounge thinking he saw his Mother cleaning up. Plus Earn and Darius were asking him if he was alright, both in a concerned way.

Maybe I was reading the story plot wrong though :/

• Upvote 1

Started watching this on a whim and mainly to see this Donald Glover person in action as I didn't recognise his name (turns out I do know him from Community). Watched the first ep, intriguing and enough to get me hooked, now have the annoying problem of having watched all the ones available on the BBC :(. A very different vibe than the usual shows with the off kilter bits thrown in every so often, I hope they got some of that Microsoft money for the endorsements :D

Episode 4 with Zan, brutal but highly amusing putdowns of Paper Boi :D And the constant guesses as to his racial make-up, he was obviously not entirely Black, but he ain't the only person on the show to be that way. I do wonder what his partner, Quentin, actually says under the beeps as that was a long ass sentence. :D

"But when you're out here and you can't do both, what the fuck are you doing bro? I mean, really?" :lol:

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

I do wonder what his partner, Quentin, actually says under the beeps as that was a long ass sentence. :D

The delivery of Paper Boi's response was perfect.

Spoiler

"Put your seat belt on."