What type of TV do you use for console gaming?

KriessG

What type / resolution of screen do you use for console gaming?  

383 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've got a 21" Trinitron for my retro stuff, an old 3D Panasonic 1080p plasma which I kept for 3D films and older consoles (and the Switch) plus is has a ton of different connections on the back, which is useful. I also have an oldish 55" Samsung QLED for the 4K stuff and my PC.

34 minutes ago, Jarik said:

As I'm moving house soon and have set aside a better gaming space I've got my eye on one of those LG C2's.  A 42" would seem about right as I don't think there's really any benefit to going bigger unless you are sitting further back?

How far will you be from the TV? 

Right, maybe I should try in this thread instead.

*cough* ahem

"What 32 inch telly would you get if you wanted to setup one in a spare room to run a PS4, Xbox 360 and possibly a Wii and occasionally stream some stuff?

Budget is £200-£300.

Bonus: recommend a sub £100 soundbar to go with it."

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’d say go for at least 55” if possible. The thing with 4K is that if you’re too far from the screen, depending on size, you won’t be able to resolve the detail so you don’t benefit from 4K. 

Sounds good.  The thing is too, that the stand actually gets smaller and thinner as the screen size goes up, which works out for me as I don't intend to wall mount and would prefer a slimmer TV unit.

6 minutes ago, Jarik said:

Sounds good.  The thing is too, that the stand actually gets smaller and thinner as the screen size goes up, which works out for me as I don't intend to wall mount and would prefer a slimmer TV unit.

The good thing with that too is that it will be further from your wall, so again you’ll benefit more from the higher resolution. I have mine wall mounted and even just a few inches can affect it. 

I use a 49” regular LED Bravia for my current gen stuff in the living room (although it currently also has a GameCube attached) which was a 2017 model I think. Probably from the last generation of TVs to still have non-HDMI inputs (it has a single component input). 49” is about as big as I can go, I hate that better screens pretty much always mean going bigger.

In my little room I have a 20” LCD from 2007, it has nasty ghosting/trails when dark things move across bright backgrounds, but also has S-video, DVI, VGA and composite inputs so can use it for my Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Wii, PSP Go.. you name it. The ghosting is surprisingly easy to ignore, but I wish it wasn’t there. Sadly this TV is showing signs of being near death - the actual broadcast channels don’t work any more, it just says ‘please wait’ and on all other modes if I have turned it on from cold the picture cuts out every few seconds (doesn’t happen if it’s from standby or warmed up a bit).

I’m about to replace it, but nothing has the range of inputs any more so I’m also investing in an OSSC (can’t afford Retrotink). I gather OSSC can exacerbate burn in on OLED and IPS displays so they are off the table, also as this TV is going in my little hobby room I don’t want the room to be overwhelmed by a giant screen. It’s tough to find anything current that meets my requirements. Looking at a discontinued 32” Sony from the same year as my main TV (32 is still bigger than I would prefer). It only has HDMI despite being from the same gen but the OSSC should make that irrelevant.

16 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Right, maybe I should try in this thread instead.

*cough* ahem

"What 32 inch telly would you get if you wanted to setup one in a spare room to run a PS4, Xbox 360 and possibly a Wii and occasionally stream some stuff?

Budget is £200-£300.

Bonus: recommend a sub £100 soundbar to go with it."

Sounds like you are in a similar place to me, although the retro requirements limit me a bit more in terms of screen type. I expect OLED etc put the price up anyway.

This is the model I’m probably going for:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01N4R8AOB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 hours ago, Darwock said:

I use a 49” regular LED Bravia for my current gen stuff in the living room (although it currently also has a GameCube attached) which was a 2017 model I think. Probably from the last generation of TVs to still have non-HDMI inputs (it has a single component input). 49” is about as big as I can go, I hate that better screens pretty much always mean going bigger.

In my little room I have a 20” LCD from 2007, it has nasty ghosting/trails when dark things move across bright backgrounds, but also has S-video, DVI, VGA and composite inputs so can use it for my Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Wii, PSP Go.. you name it. The ghosting is surprisingly easy to ignore, but I wish it wasn’t there. Sadly this TV is showing signs of being near death - the actual broadcast channels don’t work any more, it just says ‘please wait’ and on all other modes if I have turned it on from cold the picture cuts out every few seconds (doesn’t happen if it’s from standby or warmed up a bit).

I’m about to replace it, but nothing has the range of inputs any more so I’m also investing in an OSSC (can’t afford Retrotink). I gather OSSC can exacerbate burn in on OLED and IPS displays so they are off the table, also as this TV is going in my little hobby room I don’t want the room to be overwhelmed by a giant screen. It’s tough to find anything current that meets my requirements. Looking at a discontinued 32” Sony from the same year as my main TV (32 is still bigger than I would prefer). It only has HDMI despite being from the same gen but the OSSC should make that irrelevant.

They do 48” OLEDs now

I hope that they still do the smaller sizes when I’m next due an upgrade for our main telly then. I did suggest to my better half that we do that this time, and I inherit the larger living room TV to replace the dying one in my room. It would have been way too large for the space but that component input is very desirable lol. She said no, as it feels like we just bought it and the picture quality is great.

I want a 27" 1080p 144hz Oled monitor with 800 nits. 

I would happily pay £900 for such a monitor. All the oled monitors I have seen so far are either 4k or super widescreen which both require vastly more expensive graphics cards to run than a 1080p panel would.

I will never get it though