rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
KriessG

What type of TV do you use for console gaming?

What type / resolution of screen do you use for console gaming?  

291 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following on from asking who had yet joined the current gen and from seeing someone mention they didn't have a HD TV yet, I'm just curious as to what screen the console gamers here are using for their gaming?

I know just stating resolutions isn't answering the whole story, as a Panny plasma is vastly different to some cheap supermarket 1080p set but I felt adding even more options for Plasma, LCD, OLED etc could get a bit much. I also included projectors separately as they are highly different in terms of cost and set up. 

Personally I have used a 720p Panny projector showing a 96" picture for years, I was impressed with how games looked on it on PS4 and Bone. I've recently bought a 2016 Sony W8 49" 1080p TV and I can definitely see the difference though, Battlefield 4 immediately looked more detailed and crisp. I'd love next to upgrade the projector to a 1080p model and run the screen a bit bigger.

'So'... what do you use and are you happy with it, or are you planning on upgrading for the shiny new Xbox One S / PS4 Pro?

I avoided adding 'so' to the beginning on the title this time as I saw someone annoyed by that and it feels a bit 'Gaf.

• Upvote 2

4K HDR

LG OLED 55C6.

Over the moon with it!

Definitely recommend one of these or the B6 if you prefer flat (but happy to for go 3D).

pvAwvRu.jpg

I have a 27" 1080p LG M2780D LCD at the moment. I had a 32" something or other but the display went and it was too bulky anyway so I scaled down a bit. Generally I'm quite happy with the image, but that might be because I don't know any better. :P I mentioned in the "will you upgrade to PS4 Pro" thread that I would only consider it if 4K and HDR gets a big push from TV manufacturers and becomes an affordable prospect rather than a luxury purchase. Even so, people have said that affordable TVs are out there right now... but I'd still like to wait and see how Pro is received... :) 

I have a 1080p 2010 spec 46" Panasonic Plasma . I'd like a 4K HDR, but reading comments in various threads about gaming lag does put me off a bit, so will stay put for now...

Woah amazed to see 15% are still HD ready. Goes to show how much of a non issue pixel counting is on the whole. 

Everything I've read says that current 4K TVs aren't really ready for primetime yet, if you want one for gaming. Personally I wouldn't be in any rush to get one yet. Sony are hoping the Pro will help shift their 4K tellies, but apparently they're the worst ones out there for input lag.

50" Panny ST50 circa 2012 or so upstairs.

50" Pioneer Kuro ready to set up dowstairs as soon as I find a stand, that I bought off gingerling. Not seen it running yet, hoping for great things.

I'm on a 26in 720p Bravia that's about 10 years old, maybe more. :blush:

It's just so solid and has a stupid amount of ports, I've not felt the need to upgrade. Also not having a massive living room, I don't like the thought of a colossal TV taking up half a wall. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dataDave said:

Not interested in current gen.

This does make me chuckle, as if you are awarded a medal at the end of each year you show disinterest. Last guardian out in a month, xbones and ps4s on cex for £150, 360 and ps3 long since abandoned. Sometimes get on my hands and knees down to the floor and whisper to my xbone and ps4 that I don't love them, and they will never be my snes.

Seriously though dave, 4k tv running last gen systems, what kind of madman's approach is that?

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I only upgraded from 768p to 1080p last November. 

That's not so bad because you get the downsampled effect, ps4 still looks good on a lower resolution set. 360 and ps3 blown up to 4k though, not so much.

1080p 48" Sony 2014 model, it's lovely, a big upgrade to my previous LG which is why I have no immediate interest in 4k.

Still using an ancient Sony LCD that can't even manage 1080p, years after promising myself an upgrade.  Also have a Trinitron CRT in the living room for the retro stuff.  In the bedroom I've got one of those weird PS2-built-in LCD TVs which never actually gets used.

Panasonic 50" GT60, love it and wouldn't change it for anything on sale now - maybe the Panasonic OLED thats silly money but even then the lag is too much for gaming.

I also have a 27" Toshiba 720p LCD that gets very occasional use in the bedroom, its as old as Dekays and the remote is busted - quite tempted to get a 32" 4k set to replace that just to have a go...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I'm on a 26in 720p Bravia that's about 10 years old, maybe more. :blush:

It's just so solid and has a stupid amount of ports, I've not felt the need to upgrade. Also not having a massive living room, I don't like the thought of a colossal TV taking up half a wall. 

There was a massive picture quality improvement between my 2005 first gen Toshiba 32 inch 720p TV (bought for Xbox 360ing) and the Sony 40 inch Bravia I bought in 2010. I'd encourage you to think about it...

This cheapo TV 

Spoiler

2xSWdqP.jpg

Not great quality but it's big (as big as my room allows) and was cheap. Got it earlier this year to replace the 20-something inch HD Ready TV I'd been using sine the 360 was launched. 

I'm too much of a cheapskate/pauper to buy anything better. This suits me just fine anyway. 

• Upvote 2

50 inch Sony model from 2015 I think. I avoided 4K because I have nothing that would take advantage of it. The set I got, which is 1080p, has a 13ms response time which was a big selling point for me. Very happy with it and won't be upgrading for a while.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, angel said:

Seriously though dave, 4k tv running last gen systems, what kind of madman's approach is that?

I'm not running last gen, unless you count Bayonetta - I'm mainly running the 16/32bit generations via. emulation (see the emulation thread). Comparing modern gaming to retro gaming is like comparing figure skating to ice hockey. I have pretty much zero interest in cinematic QTE games with storylines.

I'd have chosen a 720p set if I could have had the latency any lower. Fortunately the Samsung also works great with movies, as you'd expect with it being a TV an all. The fact is that the 4K set had the lowest latency of all, that's why I bought it - not for pixel density (although that does come in handy when emulating scanlines at odd integers).

• Upvote 1

Needs two options. The XB1 is on an old LG 42" 1080p, this model specifically because it had an IPS panel and was 60hz. It was around the time 120 was popular, without necessarily the means to disable it.

The PS4 is on an even cheaper LG 32" 720p :lol: Bought for the price, the colours are pretty bad. I have to sit on the edge of my bed and squint at it to read the text in games.

A Sammy 4K UE55JU6800.

IMG_20160910_150500.jpg

It can only do HDR over USB, (which I've tried and can't say it blew my knickers off), at the moment. Personally, I don't care. I bought it for the increased resolution and the fact that all my blu-rays look fucking magnificent upscaled on it and that's my main concern. I use the Game Mode with the PQ properly calibrated, (I.E. Not just activating Game Mode and setting there like a dick, wondering why it looks like shit), and it gets rid of any noticeable lag. 

I won't be buying a new telly anytime in the near future. 

• Upvote 2

Panasonic Plasma, it was the best of a bad range of choices. Honestly would have preferred a HD CRT TV if they had ever released them in the UK, 0ms input lag, none of the annoying image quality niggles that all flat panel technology displays suffer from to varying degrees. All the failings of CRT aren't to do with the image quality.

If that breaks down at some point, hopefully be a much wider choice of OLEDs or LCDs which are tolerable with the faults minimised.

I badly want a 4k OLED with HDR10/Dolby Vision. All over my face. Waiting for the latest LG ones to hit half decent prices. For now my 1080p Panny LED VA panel will do. 

768p Panasonic plasma from 2008 (!) Still looks great to me, especially for films which is more my priority. Since they don't make them anymore I do sort of wish I'd stumped up for the 1080p version at the time despite the fact I wouldn't be seeing the benefit at my usual viewing distance.

5 hours ago, kernow said:

42" Panasonic from 2014 which was about £500 and is really bloody good with my neogeo somehow. Almost to the point of not needing an xrgb mini which I'll get anyway soon. 

IMG_5363.JPG

Same as that, it's a great TV for the money. Not sure how it stacks up against plasmas or whatever but I think it's a top telly.

I play console games on a 720p TV, a small CRT TV (14 or 15"), and a 5K monitor. Depends on the console.