uuni or other pizza ovens

Finally tried the Pizzaiolo tonight. Really impressed, rave reviews from my wife. As we’re doing veganuary we made marinaras with confit garlic - tasted amazing.

For tomorrow’s I’m tempted to go hotter in the oven (I think the Pizzaolos wood fired setting is 375) and leave slightly less air in the crust when stretching. Was shocked how much it puffed up!

56C95C55-7801-4110-8262-68B906762A32.jpeg

On 26/01/2021 at 19:10, BedroomBusinessman said:

Finally tried the Pizzaiolo tonight. Really impressed, rave reviews from my wife. As we’re doing veganuary we made marinaras with confit garlic - tasted amazing.

For tomorrow’s I’m tempted to go hotter in the oven (I think the Pizzaolos wood fired setting is 375) and leave slightly less air in the crust when stretching. Was shocked how much it puffed up!

56C95C55-7801-4110-8262-68B906762A32.jpeg

You want the puff tho, If you want less crust stretch it further and sauce closer to the edge!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Uuni 3 which is fuelled by wooden pellets, and subsequently bought an adaptor so it can run on gas. It’s easy enough to swap between the two. 

I’d say the wood fire is objectively better; it gets hotter and gives a slight smokey taste. However, on gas it’s much less faff and you’re waiting less time for the oven to get back up to temperature between pizzas.

Although I prefer the wood, 99% of the time I leave the gas adapter on - because I’m lazy and it’s just easier! If you’re only cooking for one or two you might be better off with the wood. If I were buying one again I’d probably go for one of the gas only models. 

Do get one though - they’re great!

Get the gas then, it’ll be ideal. 

As for pizzas, it’s really easy. The only thing to remember is less is more in terms of toppings. You do them thin and traditional Italian and they cook in a couple of minutes. 

once you have a pizza oven and get into it a bit you realise a few things

as said above less is more, you don't need a pound of cheese and a pound of meat on the thing, in fact a few very small bits of meat, cheese, thinly sliced veg goes a long way - its about balance

you also realise for a simple easy food its not quick, if you really go all in you start your doughs and let slow ferment for a few days in the fridge, then when its time to eat and make up you need an area for stretching the dough out, all your topping prepped and chopped to get on the base quick, then you've got to get the fragile soggy thing into the oven (this is all technique and practice) 

then at the end of a 5 days elapsed time it takes about 2-3m to cook them and about the same to eat them (allowing time to cool so you don't lose all the skin on roof of your mouth every time).

they are incredibly simple but also quite specific with a few steps to get good - but man are they worth it, the stuff you pay £15-20 to come on the back of a scooter doesn't deserve to be classified as the same foodstuff.

surprised at the variation I got last weekend with all the same dough & ingredients, just altering the oven settings, tried thin and crispy and it lowered the temps and doubled the cook time, the base was exactly as described, but you didn't get the puffy element thats present when cooking at the higher 400c temps, we prefer the wood oven effect higher temps as a slice still holds up on the base crispness but has that nice thin layer of soft dough present too. 

Now post veganuary we’re experimenting with cheese and mixing some sourdough starter in. 
As @Gottershas said - the pizzaiolo really isn’t cheap, it is pretty amazing though. As we can’t have a gas / wood fired oven it really fills a gap, far better than anything we’d managed with a baking steel / grill combo.

976444C5-42CF-4A2B-82CD-9096D53B4DF9.jpeg

On 13/02/2021 at 23:29, denisb said:

I’m really wanting one of these I’m a complete novice would you recommend the gas or pellet version ?

also tips on how to make pizza I generally buy kids frozen pizza lol

As a hardcore charcoal only bbq man who also owns a wood pellet smoker obv I have an Ooni 3 pellet oven.... bought the gas adaptor and use that far more, there is barely any taste difference and the ease of use is well worth it - pellets are a pain unless it’s perfect weather conditions and lots of work to keep the fire going.

I do want to get a wood/charcoal one when we move tho but the gas still works on that.

• 3 weeks later...

really refining what we like now with pizza to get it perfect to our tastes.

surprised at the difference Caputo Red flour made over their blue bag product - its probably one of those YMMV situations but having only had the blue bags so far the pizza today which was the same recipe was noticeably different, lovely thin crust still but a lovely light chew to the dough in the crust, really tasty.

my other half prefers chorizo to pepperoni, the suitable compromise is a very thinly sliced hot chorizo that Natoora sell (we got via Ocado) that gives the impression of pepperoni with a nice punchy flavour.

like the Galbani block of mozzarella, think its dryer and better suited to pizza, and adding a sprinkle of parmesan underneath gives you a more sophisticated cheese flavour.

there is quite a lot to pizza for such a simple concept but when you get it right its the food of the gods.

flour rabbit hole time, so Caputo have 2 bags of flour sold in blue bags, one a general 00 flour and the other labelled Pizzeria, seems I'd only used the general one. They say on their website that red makes good pizza (it does) so now the quest continues and I need to get hold of their Pizzeria product.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

flour rabbit hole time, so Caputo have 2 bags of flour sold in blue bags, one a general 00 flour and the other labelled Pizzeria, seems I'd only used the general one. They say on their website that red makes good pizza (it does) so now the quest continues and I need to get hold of their Pizzeria product.

I got 5kg of the pizzeria Caputo one from Amazon. Haven’t tried red yet - the pizzas are so good with the current one!

Which oven settings do you / have you used @Gotters? We’ve stuck to the wood fired setting so far, sounds like there’s some interesting stuff you can do in manual mode.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I think it’s gluten content and the Pizzeria (one we use) is better for a thin crust and 00 for thicker crust Pizzas

Stuck with the wood fired mostly @BedroomBusinessman, gives a great finish with the crust that holds the slice up but still some soft dough, even though only a few mm thick. Tried the thin crust setting and it worked but cooked base out more to that crispy finish.

Not tried manual but have noticed the outer upper ring which has its own setting seems to get hotter on 2nd 3rd pizzas, so I make sure to turn it down to get finish how we like.

I kind of feel I’m in far enough with fiddling around and going full manual !

I posted in here last year but never got round to getting a pizza oven as things went from bad to worse. Now that there is some potential light at the end of the tunnel and that we might be able to safely mix in gardens, I'm very tempted again so have a few questions.

Is the Ooni Koda 12 the go to model for someone who wants ease of use but still get good results?

Roughly how much is a propane bottle and how long should it last? Last time I rented a gas bottle was for a Calor gas heater in my first house in 1992.

Is a sourdough really necessary? I'm not sure I'd be disciplined enough to keep the sourdough starter alive and maintain it every day or so. I'm happy to make normal dough a few days in advance if need be to get the best out of it.

The accessories (mainly peels and storage case) that Ooni sell are getting into the "piss take" price range. Are there decent third party ones at better prices?

Anything else I need to consider buying, other than the Ooni, peel, gas bottle and cover? (obviously ingredients)

Is it really as easy as it looks? If I could get a crust that looks like the ones posted in this thread I'd be happy.

Does anybody actually have these in stock at a reasonable price? I could order direct from Ooni (3 to 5 weeks wait time) but it's worth checking for bargains!

I assume the likelihood of a real bargain is minimal as the whole of the UK will be all over outdoor family get togethers.

As above regards gas and model etc, I would get a metal peel and a wooden peel - we use the cheap no handle ooni metal one and a pro cook wooden one - wood to launch and metal to turn. 

We also have some decent scales that are very accurate at small quantities- good for baking in general as it’s shocking how digital scales are when dealing with small weights, handy for cocktail measuring too! 

Other stuff that you don’t need but is nice to have.... infared thermometer - no brand one from eBay, proving trays (handy but not essentIl) Some cast iron to cook other stuff in the oven, brilliant for veg and steaks etc! A dough scraper is really handy but agin not essential.

Cheers guys, now I just have to to convince the Mrs it'll be worth it.

I know it will, I fucking love pizza.

Hope you don't all judge me harshly when I eventually post pictures and there's pineapple on it though.

15 hours ago, cubik said:

Cheers guys, now I just have to to convince the Mrs it'll be worth it.

I know it will, I fucking love pizza.

Hope you don't all judge me harshly when I eventually post pictures and there's pineapple on it though.

my other half claimed she didn't like pizza and told me I was wasting my money ordering the Sage indoor pizza oven, she would never go for delivery style takeaway pizzas or order them out.

she now asks me to make them at weekends and requests they happen, she claims she still doesn't like pizza, she just loves home made good pizza.

On 17/03/2021 at 11:18, Gotters said:

my other half claimed she didn't like pizza and told me I was wasting my money ordering the Sage indoor pizza oven, she would never go for delivery style takeaway pizzas or order them out.

she now asks me to make them at weekends and requests they happen, she claims she still doesn't like pizza, she just loves home made good pizza.

I don’t like pizza either :lol:

Well, I despise takeaway pizza or frozen pizza as it’s basically greasy bread - I only like Neapolitan style pizza and when making it less is more!

Odd creatures aren’t we!

14 hours ago, Gotters said:

a new £40 contender emerges ? 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8924119

I see problems controlling this but the price is attractive if you already have a BBQ.

My mate has tried a few of these and they do a job but basically only just about outperform an oven in terms of temp - we did get one of them almost to pizza oven temps with a combination of my slow n sear and some chunks of wood but it was hard work getting it there let alone maintaining it!

Worth a punt for the cost as outdoor cooking is always better of course!

Just a heads up, 10% off at the Ooni website with code “upgrade10”

I’ve ordered the Koda 12! :omg:

I didn’t bother with their peel and accessories, I’m not that well off. 

3 to 5 weeks till it arrives, fingers crossed it’ll be closer to 3 than 5.

I’ll be back for tips in a couple of weeks, and probably posting a picture of a burnt offering not too long after, hopefully soon followed by something as tasty as the pizzas I’ve seen in this thread.

On 07/03/2021 at 13:43, Gotters said:

Doing a bit of searching for pizza ingredients I stumbled across this website which seems to stock the Caputo pizzeria flour.

https://www.marcoalimentari.com/online-store/Flour-Breadcrumbs-c33274277