rllmuk
Tezcatlipoca

The Tick (2016, Amazon)

I'm sure I'm not alone here in having fond memories of the 1994 "The Tick" animated series, or the 2001 "The Tick" live-action series?

Well, The Tick's creator Ben Edlund has been working on another live-action version, this time for Amazon's 2016 Pilot Season.

Written by Edlund and directed by Wally Pfister (Christopher Nolan's usual cinematographer), the new pilot for The Tick stars Peter Serafinowicz as The Tick, Griffin Newman as Arthur, Valorie Curry as Dot, and Jackie Earle Haley as The Terror.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-tick/43176/the-tick-2016-pilot-review

https://www.salon.com/2016/08/24/the-tick-vs-pilot-season-can-amazon-bring-back-the-big-blue-superhero/

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2016/7/21/12251774/the-tick-amazon-pilot-premiere-date

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/18/the-tick-pilot-review

I thought this was utter drivel - not a comic reader so maybe I'm not the audience for it but just didn't get who it was meant to appeal to. Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the hammy OTT shout to the back of the room stage style performance PS was delivering here, and the baggy suit he was wearing looked like something from the bad cosplay thread.

Not a fan and wouldn't bother watching a full series if they commissioned it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Enjoyed the pilot, though I can see why some might dislike the hammy delivery if they don't have a passing familiarity with the Tick's character. Agreed with all complaints on the suit, though, but it was always going to be a tricky costume to pull off in the 'real' world. Hopefully they can tweak it for the full series, as Arthur's armour was pretty cool. 

Coming in August.

That headpiece is different than in the pilot. I don't know if they've changed the suit or it's a case of trailer people doing their own thing without real input from the production, which I understand does happen.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

That headpiece is different than in the pilot. I don't know if they've changed the suit or it's a case of trailer people doing their own thing without real input from the production, which I understand does happen.

I can't remember where I had read it but I'm sure they said the suit will be altered when it goes to series.

Just watched the whole series which came out yesterday... my god it's amazing. It's on par with the cartoons craziness. The Adam West style monologuing... during fights... is just fantastic. Even they can't believe what he's doing :lol:

We get 6 episodes now and the rest next year. It finishes on a sort of mini cliff hangar and its a bloody good show!

• Upvote 2

Just watched the first two episodes and it's great. I love the way that the jokes seem to come out of nowhere. There's no set up, just stuff happening and Bang! there's a punchline in the middle of it, without even pausing for breath.

I'm also way more invested in the characters than I've ever been with any of the Marvel tv series. Bizarrely, this world seems a lot more believable than Hell's Kitchen.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Flub said:

He's nigh invulnerable chum!

"He's nigh invulnerable chum!"

chum_beef_12x1.2kg_can.jpg

What you mean is: "he's nigh invulnerable, chum!"

1536446_10152510843868332_668849033_n.jp

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Just watched the pilot and it was bloody excellent. It looked awful from the trailer and promo materials, really misrepresented it I think, but it was smart and it made me laugh. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series.

10 hours ago, Paulando said:

Just watched the pilot and it was bloody excellent. It looked awful from the trailer and promo materials, really misrepresented it I think, but it was smart and it made me laugh. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series.

Yeah, WTF I saw the trailer a week or so ago and just though 'He (Peter Schawafawihztiz) has sold out then...' . Looks like a typical terrible American zany comedy aimed at idiots but people seem to be liking it? Might have to try 1 episode but I just can't see this not being awful going by the trailer.

On 29/08/2017 at 09:56, SeanR said:

I started episode 2 last night, but the way The Tick comes and goes, it's like they WANT me to think he's just in arthurs head...

For those who have seen further

Despite thr reveal being telegraphed, it was brilliantly done still. The joke had a few levels to it and reminded me very much of early Simpsons in structure. There wasn't a point where you are waiting for an exact punchline, it just happens, followed and preceded by other punchlines.

It was clear that the setup of The Tick being in his head was there just so the moment Arthur accepts he is going crazy again, would be the moment he also realises he isn't. To pull that off in the way they did is just great.

On 29/08/2017 at 19:36, Capwn said:

Yeah, WTF I saw the trailer a week or so ago and just though 'He (Peter Schawafawihztiz) has sold out then...' . Looks like a typical terrible American zany comedy aimed at idiots but people seem to be liking it? Might have to try 1 episode but I just can't see this not being awful going by the trailer.

Thankfully, it's smarter than that. Daft, most certainly, but never actually dumb. 

Can only echo the praise here. The unhinged joy of Peter Serafinowicz's Tick is so diverting, I think I could watch him doing the dishes and still have a good time. There are moments where his barmy eloquence becomes a little strained, but they're few and far between. Similarly, the villains are just right - a blend of dastardly and pathetic. 

It's just a shame they released so few episodes to start with! 

As a huge, huge fan of the animated series I'm thrilled with Jackie Earle Haley's performance as The Terror. Everything about him is just perfect.

Absurd as it sounds, I find myself wondering if they'd dare to try Chairface Chippendale with the help of some CG.