IGNORED

ZX Spectrum Appreciation thread

Lorfarius

On 06/01/2022 at 23:52, MLH75 said:

Admirer from afar… 

Naturally, I haven't played every single ZX Spectrum game and these lists are always highly subjective, but I've at least tried to show much thought process and the difficulty involved with nailing a top ten. 

Nice video! Laser Squad but no Chaos?! Maybe I missed it…

On 03/01/2022 at 23:24, Camel said:

I’ve been playing this today. It’s a really nice little platformer and proceeds go to charity.

8BC3DF8A-8351-46D1-90B8-0D93742FB17F.thumb.jpeg.2e7f7bd82b6a95d4838524c264860a67.jpeg

https://cronosoft.fwscart.com

The developer of this game is a really old friend of mine who moved to Kazakhstan many years ago. He has an excellent coding group on FB called Happy Coding ZX.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/happycodingzx/?ref=share

As well as the above game, he’s worked on some excellent projects via the group including a really close conversion of Asteroids and the brilliant Jetpac RX.

If anyone wants to support the development of these games he has a Patreon page and could do with the support at the moment. The country is in a state of unrest which means he can’t work currently. 

www.patreon.com/happycodingzx

hey guys

Another quick update from me. The internet shut down again not long after I posted. I have to assume the same will happen today.

The situation is still not very clear, but what I'm reading in the international press does seem to be a bit overblown.

I ran out of local money yesterday which was a bit of a concern so I went to a local hotel. I asked if they could change some dollars so I could buy some food but they said they couldn't. Someone else overheard the conversation and literally gave me a tenner to help me out. I took his number and told him I'd transfer it back when the internet came back.

So off I went to my local market to buy vegetables, where I was surprised to find everyone in good spirits. Most of the local vendors told me they would have been happy to give me food and I could have paid them later because they all know me. So sometimes these situations remind you of the best sides of people.

On the downside, I still can't work, and my wife is still stuck in Almaty and the airports are closed. So a bit of cabin fever is setting in, especially without the internet which helps me keep in touch with my family and friends. Hopefully it will be back more reliably soon!

I'm not altogether comfortable promoting my Patreon page in the circumstances, but if you have been thinking about signing up for a while, now would be a good time to take the plunge. Thanks!  www.patreon.com/happycodingzx

1 hour ago, Camel said:

The developer of this game is a really old friend of mine who moved to Kazakhstan many years ago. He has an excellent coding group on FB called Happy Coding ZX.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/happycodingzx/?ref=share

As well as the above game, he’s worked on some excellent projects via the group including a really close conversion of Asteroids and the brilliant Jetpac RX.

If anyone wants to support the development of these games he has a Patreon page and could do with the support at the moment. The country is in a state of unrest which means he can’t work currently. 

www.patreon.com/happycodingzx

Blimey. I didn’t expect there to be any crossover between Spectrum game development and the crisis is Kazakhstan. What was the reason he relocated there?

• 5 weeks later...

The Six Most Important Games - ZX Spectrum

Sinclair Research Ltd. released the ZX Spectrum, an 8-bit personal home computer, in the United Kingdom in 1982. The Spectrum was one of the first mainstream home computers in the United Kingdom, comparable to the Commodore 64 in the United States. The advent of the ZX Spectrum resulted in a surge in firms developing software and hardware for the system, and some credit it with launching the UK IT industry. Head Over Heels, Jet Set Willy, Skool Daze, Renegade, R-Type, Knight Lore, Dizzy, The Hobbit, Way of the Exploding Fist, and Match Day 2 were amongst the top 10 ZX Spectrum games.

On 08/01/2022 at 01:14, ZOK said:

Nice video! Laser Squad but no Chaos?! Maybe I missed it…

I couldn’t get laser squad or chaos back in the day as they never came to our local store. However one day lords of chaos came and I remember taking it home not having high expectations and then spending a huge amount of time playing it in the following months. I assume it is similar to chaos or laser squad but to this day I have never played these games. I imagine they‘d still standup today as the gameplay was where it was at. I did hear recently that Julian Gollop created a 3DS game as part of the ghost recon series which is also meant to be worth checking out.

4 hours ago, crocked said:

I couldn’t get laser squad or chaos back in the day as they never came to our local store. However one day lords of chaos came and I remember taking it home not having high expectations and then spending a huge amount of time playing it in the following months. I assume it is similar to chaos or laser squad but to this day I have never played these games. I imagine they‘d still standup today as the gameplay was where it was at. I did hear recently that Julian Gollop created a 3DS game as part of the ghost recon series which is also meant to be worth checking out.

Lords Of Chaos is an interesting blend of Laser Squad and Chaos and manages to take the best parts of both. The layouts added some extra variety to the battles too. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Robo_1 said:

Haha, bit of drama on the World Of Spectrum Facebook group, look who's signed up:

73542556_Screenshot2022-07-13at19_14_52.png.b536d966ebaf8cff9abd0fa93e01c6e1.png

It's gone about as well you'd expect. 🤣

Someone should give a heads up to Bo of Fairlight fame and the two guys who did the C64 port of Soldier of Light. I’m sure they’d love to add some memories.

1 hour ago, Robo_1 said:

Haha, bit of drama on the World Of Spectrum Facebook group, look who's signed up:

73542556_Screenshot2022-07-13at19_14_52.png.b536d966ebaf8cff9abd0fa93e01c6e1.png

It's gone about as well you'd expect. 🤣

There's no way that account isn't a spoof.

Helped Clive design the Spectrum? It's got to be someone (not Tim) taking the piss

The blatant plug for the mobile game is either a spot-on parody or, as I suspect, the real deal. Wordzle though, I'm pretty sure that's not riding on the back of something a lot more popular, oh no.

9 hours ago, Vimster said:

The blatant plug for the mobile game is either a spot-on parody or, as I suspect, the real deal. Wordzle though, I'm pretty sure that's not riding on the back of something a lot more popular, oh no.

the worzel gummidge reboot?

1 hour ago, ulala said:

is world of spectrum the good forum or the bad forum?

The *forum* is fine.

The guy who *runs* the forum, much less so.

I had a Spectrum for years but never got to play any text adventures because my dad hated them. Are there any that are accessible enough to be fun now or has that age well and truly passed?

On 18/07/2022 at 15:05, Yasawas said:

I had a Spectrum for years but never got to play any text adventures because my dad hated them. Are there any that are accessible enough to be fun now or has that age well and truly passed?

Text adventures (now generally called Interactive Fiction) are still a big thing.

The obvious Spectrum suggestion is The Hobbit, but I'd recommend Double Agent and The Gordello Incident because they're really clever. All of The Boggit series, and Behind Closed Doors are excellent and very funny. Fish (+3 only, I think) by Phil South is good too.

Heavy on the Magick is a favourite of mine. It's a graphical text adventure with moving sprites - almost point and click without pointing and clicking.

Then there's all the Scott Adams Questprobe/Marvel ones, which are good but have some really, really obtuse puzzles.

Oh, and I can't remember how good it was, but The Pen and the Dark comes with a whole actual novel (I think PDF versions of it exist) that acts as a prologue. I was very impressed with that at the time.

8 hours ago, deKay said:

Heavy on the Magick is a favourite of mine. It's a graphical text adventure with moving sprites - almost point and click without pointing and clicking.

Thanks for all this! I’m going to read up on the titles you’ve mentioned but initial thoughts are this is what I’m trying first. The name rings a bell too - I think I remember it being well received from some magazines of the time.