Lorfarius

ZX Spectrum Appreciation thread

On 24/10/2017 at 10:06, Simonfifa1 said:

Enjoying "Into the Eagle's Nest" right now. It's on some compilation disk.

Always loved it. I think it's such a good Speccy game.

Wasn't that a bit like gauntlet with nazis? It always looked good but I never played it back in the day as it never came into my local shop. Might give it a game this weekend.

I also remember Alien (US) and scooby doo looking great (in your sinclair I think) but don't know if any were any good in the end. I remember reading something years later about scooby doo being scrapped and another version released

30 minutes ago, crocked said:

Wasn't that a bit like gauntlet with nazis? It always looked good but I never played it back in the day as it never came into my local shop. Might give it a game this weekend.

Yep, that’s the one

one of the few Speccy games that I still find ok to play 

57 minutes ago, deKay said:

This thread suggests the Select button on the MD pad is the C64 killer.

Only there's no Select button on a MD pad.

Worst I've seen personally is the keyboard stops working properly with MD pad connected but apparently it can cause long term damage.  There are adaptors you can buy that make it safe to use MD pads on a C64.  IIRC the pad pushes a 5v signal down one of the lines and can affect the 64's CIA chip.  

Thought I'd chuck this here. RetroManCave is rapidly becoming my favourite retro youtuber. Everything is so well put together, with every t crossed and i dotted. Great special appearance by George too!! Particular brownie points too for the nes jibe! :lol:

• Upvote 2

Even though I'm an old Speccy owner and used to play a lot of graphic and text only adventures (unsuccessfully, in some effort to push my brain and failing) can anyone recommend 10 of the best text and 10 of the best graphic adventures to play through?

Happy to go from any era - Arctic basic clunkers like Inca Curse through to the more parser expansive games (I had a brief attempt at the Pawn a few years ago and was flummoxed by removing my VERB NOUN safety cage and had to go running back to the safety of some instadeath game like Subsunk or something like that)

16 hours ago, luth714 said:

Even though I'm an old Speccy owner and used to play a lot of graphic and text only adventures (unsuccessfully, in some effort to push my brain and failing) can anyone recommend 10 of the best text and 10 of the best graphic adventures to play through?

Happy to go from any era - Arctic basic clunkers like Inca Curse through to the more parser expansive games (I had a brief attempt at the Pawn a few years ago and was flummoxed by removing my VERB NOUN safety cage and had to go running back to the safety of some instadeath game like Subsunk or something like that)

The Hobbit, obviously, but my favourites:

Behind Closed Doors (all of them)

Fish

Double Agent

Spider-Man

Redhawk and Kwah

Heavy on the Magick

Quest for the Golden Eggcup

The Pen and the Dark

The Gordello Incident

Pretty much anything by Tartan or Zenobi was great though.

And Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, of course!

And Guild of Thieves, but I never played that on the Speccy so not sure it was ever released on that.

6 hours ago, deKay said:

The Hobbit, obviously, but my favourites:

Behind Closed Doors (all of them)

Fish

Double Agent

Spider-Man

Redhawk and Kwah

Heavy on the Magick

Quest for the Golden Eggcup

The Pen and the Dark

The Gordello Incident

Pretty much anything by Tartan or Zenobi was great though.

Thanks - I remember playing a Behind Closed Doors when it was free with YS and it stumping me...loved Spiderman though never could get the gem away from the exploding egg despite following the solution (and found it a shame those Questprobe adventures were still obsessed with Scott Adams and his hidden treasures to store - some of them were very obscure to find, like an unlisted crevice in a lift shaft that you have to search twice, even though the first time it says "There's nothing here")

I liked the idea of Redhawk and Kwah but their parser caused me issues back in the day and much that I adored Gargoyle Games and the idea of Heavy on the Magick I couldn't figure most of it out.

Had Golden Eggcup and really liked that one - I had a soft spot for the Compass Software stuff (Project X, O-Zone etc) - always liked how they were presented.