Lorfarius

ZX Spectrum Appreciation thread

19 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Edit - did you sell the N-Gage to buy this?

Nope I've still got it! Still got a load of videos to cover but won't be keeping hold of it much longer :(

I've got three of the buggers at the moment.  Sadly, the speccies of my youth are long, all dead for various reasons.  Currently have: 48k rubber keyed jobbie that appeared to be brand new when I picked it up from a boot sale years ago, another 48k rubber keys which needs a new membrane, and a +2 a/b which I've never tested as it doesn't have a PSU.  

Will be setting up soon so happy to join in with discussions although I'll probably just play Turmoil and little else as that's probably my favourite speccy game. 

• Upvote 1

Fantastic thread!

Funnily enough, I just sent my +3 and PSU off to Mutant Caterpillar this morning. I'm having the following work carried out on them:

PSU

• Full cap replacement

Spectrum +3

• AY Audio fix (the +3 features a design flaw which means that sound output from the AY sound chip is terribly distorted and sounds awful
  • Full cap replacement
  • Audio in fix. For some reason my tape input port only works if you push and hold the lead in

I'm having to make do with the +2A and 48K units while the +3 is being fixed. The 2A with Enjoy interface has been my main machine for some years, but the +3 will be receiving that honour when it returns.

• Upvote 2

Spent ages trying to get it working on my phone, finally managed it a shortwhile ago. Been playing Benny Hill with it's Popeye style graphics but I'm a bit worried about getting ROM overload! Don't want to sit there sifting through game after game anyone got some recommendations?

I suppose you can't really go wrong if you go through the Your Sinclair Top 100 Games for the classics. They might take you off to try other games.

You could also try the modern developed games just so you can see what's still being created now - I could discuss this at length seeing as I'm part of this and I'll find the link to the website that has all the latest games produced.

• Upvote 1

Here's the thing with real tape loading. We'll assume that the games will pretty much load. The average loading time for a game is between 3 to 5 minutes. Now, when you were 13 that's aaaaaggggees as you sat and watched it load. These days, I can do so much stuff in that time. Start a game loading, see the loading screen, go off and, say, do the dishes or tidy up, real mundane stuff, y'know? Pop back to see the progress "oh, it's loaded!"

i mean, load up Ultimate's earlier 16k games, Jet Pac (this is a must play anyway), for example, and it'll be loaded before you get your latter years self up of the floor, if you're anything like me AND have the Spectrum on the floor in front of the telly just to be even more authentic.

• Upvote 2

Good old George Bum can help you out with some recommendations (seriously, his videos can be a bit offensive but I'm sure it's tongue in cheek. I'll try and find the one where he describes his sister being attacked by seagulls).

Rolling Thunder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJqeZfeo28

Skooldaze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrC2dL4HDW4

Horace Goes Skiing (one of my favourite reviews by him...love the story how William Tang got his name!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmziv_bvyEo

• Upvote 1

I'm the proud owner of boxed rubber-key 48K and a +2A, also have a + knocking about somewhere. There's just something about using the real thing that really brings it all back.

@roberthazelby did they ever update the firmware on the N-Joy? the 8.3 filenames were a proper pain.

I might reach out to them. It's a great bit of kit, works with all Spectrum models, built-in Kempston interface. It's just the software that was lacking.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently selling my mint rubber keyed Spectrum which I'm gutted about but I need the cash.

Still got my original grey plus 2 and my 128k toast rack. I use a divMMC Enjoy to load games these days. It has a built in Kempston interface which is handy too.

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna get a DivMMC. If there's one thing I can't put up with these days it's tape loading. Just urrgh :lol: Managed to get a pile of random tapes from a friends attic, nothing amazing but having to wait.... I tried using my phone but it's very hit and miss with loading them.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

What's compatibility like with a DivMMC?  Does it support multi-load games?

To be honest I can't remember regarding multiload. I'm out today but I'll test it later with a multiload game. Pretty sure it works, as long as you use a tap file but I'll double check.

Compatibility wise it's loaded everything I've tried so far. Supports 128k games too which a few other of the SD card solutions don't do.

Re: DivMMC, just been having a look at the guy's Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/BenVersteegTech

He seems to be far more into the hardware side of things than software, been right back through his posts and whilst he's now celebrating making 1000 DivMMCs (the 1000th is in a gold-plated metal case), nothing on updated firmware/system software.

The white replacement 16k/48k cases look really nice though.

The software used on the interface is ESXDOS, the latest version appears to be 0.8.5, it doesn't support TZX files, sadly. http://www.esxdos.org/

My dad bought me a ZX Spectrum 128K, specifically this one:

plus2abox.jpg

Anyway, I always remember my dad beating the shit out of me because he thought I wasted £100 of his money as I couldn't get it to load anything. He thought I gone and broke it, I was lucky that I had a friend who came after school and taught me how to load the cassettes and play the games. Also, think it was my first dabble in basic?. The only games I remember playing was of course Dizzy, School Daze,Renegade and Zynaps.

Its still in the loft somewhere, I should try and dig it out. Its pretty much in pristine condition as I didn't really play on it that much as my dad thought playing games was too distracting. So instead of smashing my stuff up like normal, even he had the common sense not to and just stored it away.