IGNORED

What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

Had my records in storage for ages but marking their reappearance with this. From a weird time in jazz where things like this were coming out on Dutch labels being largely overlooked and people like Airto are making albums that are distributed from New York taxi ranks. 

Think it’s been rereleased now which is great news.

422BB0AB-BA96-41F4-80AF-AB274E60A11F.jpeg

11 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

3 albums for less than 6 quid. Those were the days. 

IMG_20220122_000025.jpg

Heh, I’ve got Outline, think mine came from Lee’s Sound City in Deptford (does it still exist?) for £2.99…a scandalously low price even then. £1.99 apiece though?! Ridiculous.

I just googled Lee’s, a great nostalgia piece about it here:

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/lees-sound-city.html

They were saying it was in New Cross which made me scratch my head, but then there was this comment at the end:

”I worked at sound city from the early 80’s until 90. Although the shop was on new cross rd, it was in deptford, opposite the high street, more or less. Loved my time there, the music has stayed with me . Of course lee taught me how to read a crowd and dj successfully.”

Good to see some of my memories are still in working order! :blah:

The days of filling a townhouse full of records must be gone now, unless you really let the quality control go. I’ve read things where Mr Scruff said he would empty the shelves at Our Price every week as the buyer was a West Indian dude who loved reggae and afrobeat and no-would else would touch it. Also, I think it was maybe Patrick Forge who had a mate that imported VW parts from Rio so he’d get him to fill whatever space was left in the container with boxes of Brazilian records and buy them off him for pennies. I’ll get my break one day.

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

The days of filling a townhouse full of records must be gone now, unless you really let the quality control go. I’ve read things where Mr Scruff said he would empty the shelves at Our Price every week as the buyer was a West Indian dude who loved reggae and afrobeat and no-would else would touch it. Also, I think it was maybe Patrick Forge who had a mate that imported VW parts from Rio so he’d get him to fill whatever space was left in the container with boxes of Brazilian records and buy them off him for pennies. I’ll get my break one day.

Ha, definitely. In those same halcyon days I used to go to The Red Eye in Lewisham, South London’s Mecca in the days of acid jazz, Patrick Forge was one of the residents there iirc. 

17 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Glorious. That's how you make a gatefold pop.

Yeah, it really is. Didn't even realise I'd bought the gatefold until it arrived, thanks to the vague listing with a single blurry photo and weird description.

First decent UK charity shop finds this year.
Everything £2 each.
Vangelis albums turn out to be US / Canadian releases. A few duplicated tracks but both very listenable. 
Just to be tricky, one side of the Mekon 12" plays at 45rpm, the other at 33rpm. Neither labelled as such 😬
The Leftfield / Lydon 12" single also plays at 33 and has 2 cracking mixes.

The final one is 4 good mixes of Electronic's 'Getting Away With It'. 

Screenshot_20220126_222555.jpg