IGNORED

What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

56 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I had a little spin of Steely Dan last night due to the Prince Paul Aja podcast:

957A665E-A525-43D8-8629-66FDEAF4EF63.thumb.jpeg.8046d8d8292261aae00c5212fcc41734.jpeg

9A0E1295-41B5-4F20-BB2D-A75BE6EE12F6.thumb.jpeg.2dc4fa31913ae9393d06f1d2ddd3a629.jpeg

You know what I don’t have a clue about Steely Dan - I’ll give them a whiz.  It’s funny, when I got my 1210’s, what  30 years ago, black was the only way. Now I rather wish they were the 1200’s. 
Genuine design classic regardless - we’re lucky having them. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

You know what I don’t have a clue about Steely Dan - I’ll give them a whiz.  It’s funny, when I got my 1210’s, what  30 years ago, black was the only way. Now I rather wish they were the 1200’s. 
Genuine design classic regardless - we’re lucky having them. 

Indeed - Technics should always be silver, which is as God intended.

Mate, Steely Dan are the best band, probably my favourite other than Prince and The Revolution. Aja is always a go to for people because Peg is an iconic tune, but it’s stuffed to the gills with great tracks. If you want a place to start with them give it a listen - if you don’t like that then they’re not going to offer you much else, and if you love it you’ll love everything. But they never made a bad album. And if you like them, also worth checking out Fagan’s solo stuff like The Nightfly and Kamakiriad.

If you want to mainline all their ‘best’ tracks in one go though, seek out this:

65265A6B-0C18-426E-86C6-45F7AA4F32D0.thumb.jpeg.a496f36ec9c93b49f347531f39e4542a.jpeg

A phenomenal collection!

Going to echo everything ZOK said there. Their quality control was basically a fully blown diagnosable mental issue. Apparently they’ve never once listened back to Katy Lied as they weren’t entirely happy with the mastering, but it’s widely considered an audiophile’s dream. They’re both incredibly musicians, but if someone could do it better then they’d pay to have the world’s greatest session player to come in and record something instead. The credits on Aja are mind blowing. Bloody hell I love Steely Dan.

8 minutes ago, englishbob said:

When I head for a Dan album its usually "Gaucho" for some reason, but I understand its not high up on hardcore Danophiles

It’s probably my favourite! Obviously it has Babylon Sisters and Hey Nineteen on it which are (deservedly) fan favourites, but Glamour Profession is one of my personal top tracks.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

It’s probably my favourite! Obviously it has Babylon Sisters and Hey Nineteen on it which are (deservedly) fan favourites, but Glamour Profession is one of my personal top tracks.

Time out of mind and my rival are great too. Think it just had a bad rep after aja but it’s really grown on me. 

Played my original 1978 copy of Parallel Lines last night. When I was given it as a present I thought how cool it was that Blondie had done something unusual with the label, but I've never seen another one like it. I suspect it must be a lucky mis-labelled disc. Anyway, still remains a favourite album. 

Screenshot_20211219_092227.jpg

Love this album - I don't think I'll ever tire of listening to it, and I've been doing so for many decades. It's so random and never boring, you just live in its bizarre world for its long duration - when its over you feel its been a long double album but you still want it to continue. This is the Mono version from the recent-ish boxset, and I've also recently sampled the 5.1 Blu-Ray mix which is also really good. The Beatles have been my comfort musical food this week while having Covid.

spacer.png 

Get well soon! It is a fantastic album, I’d never really listened to them that much but since ending up with all my dad’s Beatles records in 2020 I’ve been tucking into them regularly myself since I got the decks set up again, really surprised me how much I like them.

Having said that, my favourite of all so far has been John & Yoko’s Double Fantasy…

26 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Having said that, my favourite of all so far has been John & Yoko’s Double Fantasy…

Thanks for reminding me of that one - I had "Beautiful Boys" by Yoko in my head the other day - for no reason. I haven't heard the album, but that track was on the B-Side of Woman, which I had back on cassette single back in the day. His shooting and death was very surreal.

Also, worthy of a re-appraisal is Danger Mouse's "Grey Album" - shame EMI were such dicks about it, I think its amazing

21 minutes ago, Camel said:

If you haven’t seen it you guys are going to freak over the video for that Sugar Bear song. It was never released until the man himself put it out there a few years ago. It’s the most budget thing ever.

Rushes to YouTube….

13 minutes ago, scruffycat said:

I can’t tell you how much I love this song.

It’s a masterpiece really.  Perfect lyrics, backing track, sample, they must have been bouncing off the walls when they finished making it. 

in fact I remember the only issue I had was it was bloody hard to mix in and out of as he virtually never stops rapping…

12 hours ago, Camel said:

If you haven’t seen it you guys are going to freak over the video for that Sugar Bear song. It was never released until the man himself put it out there a few years ago. It’s the most budget thing ever.

That is so cool! I’d never seen it, cheers for the tip.

That little kid dancing the break! 8-)

Hi everyone, just a quick reminder that the RLLMUK favourite albums poll runs until 31 December - you can post your list here:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/324427-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-2021-list-thread-open-until-31-december/

Every vote for a new or reissued 2021 album counts, even if you've just got one album you really liked this year!