IGNORED

What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

A solo entry in my collection for Glass and this genre too I think. 

Can’t say I’m fond of it as an album but I bought it at the time purely for Opening and Closing which I’d heard in Breathless - one of my fav films as a young man and thought it just worked so brilliantly in that.  

59AF7724-5494-4BA5-9581-0687B81306A2.jpeg

The best Zappa album - low on satire, hardly any singing, just brilliantly played music throughout. The digital versions swap Track 1 and 2 around, but the "Blessed Relief" closer is such a beautiful track to finish on. Its a shame the Zappa Estate can't be fucked to get around to re-releasing this and a few others, the whole vinyl reissue program of the classic albums has been completely stalled for years now. 

spacer.png

Bought the 7" single when it charted back in 1981 - I was 10 years old then, my mum was not best pleased with me playing it. The b-side "Walk the dog" isn't on the album, and it took me until my late teens to get the album - it has stood up incredibly well - every track is some avant garde masterpiece. You can also hear the birthplace of a lot of female artists here - coincidence or not - like Julia Holter and especially St Vincent ("Sweaters"). I'm glad I dug this out of my collection today, give it a go. I could listen to the title track all day.

spacer.png

On 04/07/2021 at 14:19, englishbob said:

The best Zappa album - low on satire, hardly any singing, just brilliantly played music throughout. The digital versions swap Track 1 and 2 around, but the "Blessed Relief" closer is such a beautiful track to finish on. Its a shame the Zappa Estate can't be fucked to get around to re-releasing this and a few others, the whole vinyl reissue program of the classic albums has been completely stalled for years now. 

spacer.png

Not sure I agree it's the best, but it is sublime. I too have been waiting for a re-issue of this along with Waka Jawaka.

One of the best electronic albums this century. Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica. How he wasn't approached to score Blade Runner 2049 is a great missed opportunity. The albums sounds (to me) the perfect soundtrack to that film

spacer.png

21 hours ago, englishbob said:

One of the best electronic albums this century. Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica. How he wasn't approached to score Blade Runner 2049 is a great missed opportunity. The albums sounds (to me) the perfect soundtrack to that film

spacer.png

Rather enjoying this - good call.