IGNORED

What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

I had a little treat turn up today, John Morales has knocked out a triple album of Teena Marie remixes, and it’s a delight:

24C8067E-7A9D-43AE-8ABC-1253FA3161AA.thumb.jpeg.712b0db9cc447fd7efcfb8ce953b29ed.jpeg

Normally I don’t hold with remixing the classics (with the notable exception of Life Is A Dance, the Chaka Khan remix project), but this is lovingly done by the master himself, and he’s really teased some extra love out of these wonderful tracks.

The mystery is why they used that picture of TM on the cover - it doesn’t really smack of the quality of the rest of the project.

On 21/05/2021 at 18:16, ZOK said:

Yes! Lots of space to work there, very nice.

Regarding servicing, this guy is the guy, I recommend him 100%: 

https://www.technics-service.co.uk

As for carts, I went for the new Concorde mk2s, and they are lovely, a real upgrade on the old range and they look the business whichever ones you choose.

Zok have you actually used this chap then?  I’ve defo got to get mine done but I hate the idea of sending them off to anyone. 

cheers,

D. 

22 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Zok have you actually used this chap then?  I’ve defo got to get mine done but I hate the idea of sending them off to anyone. 

cheers,

D. 

Yes, I got mine done in 2017 - we went down and camped in Weymouth while he did them. He’s a lovely guy, he showed us round his workshop and everything (which is a garage), he is a proper music / electronics whizz.

Here’s what I had done - it wasn’t cheap, but considering the state of them it was well worth the money. Mine were essentially run down after many years DJ service and then being left unloved under a pile of junk! Now they are as good as new apart from cosmetic stuff.

13F6B0EE-E37C-42B0-88D0-A02ADB7E4363.thumb.jpeg.eef0ddd971d86e2e58f0fcdb9530eab7.jpeg

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yes, I got mine done in 2017 - we went down and camped in Weymouth while he did them. He’s a lovely guy, he showed us round his workshop and everything (which is a garage), he is a proper music / electronics whizz.

Here’s what I had done - it wasn’t cheap, but considering the state of them it was well worth the money. Mine were essentially run down after many years DJ service and then being left unloved under a pile of junk! Now they are as good as new apart from cosmetic stuff.

13F6B0EE-E37C-42B0-88D0-A02ADB7E4363.thumb.jpeg.eef0ddd971d86e2e58f0fcdb9530eab7.jpeg

Ok cheers will give him a call. Shame he’s so bloody far away.

edit: ok, he seems like a splendid chap so guess I better get on that in the next month or 2. 
In the meantime, let’s get ravin’

8F8227F3-3C8D-48F4-A34F-B3490BF8F3F4.jpeg

On 15/06/2021 at 18:32, ZOK said:

I had a little treat turn up today, John Morales has knocked out a triple album of Teena Marie remixes, and it’s a delight:

24C8067E-7A9D-43AE-8ABC-1253FA3161AA.thumb.jpeg.712b0db9cc447fd7efcfb8ce953b29ed.jpeg

Normally I don’t hold with remixing the classics (with the notable exception of Life Is A Dance, the Chaka Khan remix project), but this is lovingly done by the master himself, and he’s really teased some extra love out of these wonderful tracks.

The mystery is why they used that picture of TM on the cover - it doesn’t really smack of the quality of the rest of the project.

The big question is what’s Portuguese Love like on this? If I’m being honest with myself I’d probably drop £35 for just an extended version.

10 hours ago, ZOK said:

Ok spoke to him, I’m convinced - now just need to get them there. 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

The big question is what’s Portuguese Love like on this? If I’m being honest with myself I’d probably drop £35 for just an extended version.

Well, it’s a fabulous remix, but it’s still a remix, so Morales’ highly respectful fingerprints are all over it. If you’d never heard the original this would just blow your mind…but if the original is welded into your mental furniture it’s very hard not to compare.

I think the urgency of the start is lost, and the wonderfully long drift into the end is given an unnecessary complexity. But then there is a short breakdown in the middle that’s worth the whole remix, and what Morales does with the jazz workout is an amazing piece of craft. You won’t get fed up of hearing it, that’s for sure. I guess the bottom line is I do love what he’s done here, to remix like this and bring something fresh while not losing what the original does is quite a feat.

Have a listen!

To be honest the whole album is just lovely.

58 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Ok spoke to him, I’m convinced - now just need to get them there. 

He is a complete pro, you won’t regret it. Do you need anything specific done or is it just a bit of tlc?