rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

What is spinning on your turntable?

Today's trip to the second hand record shop got me these 12"s (amongst others)

3AMeternal.thumb.jpg.c84fbe1bb8c4ac164ac17bed65c3b9d6.jpg

• Upvote 5

Has turntable/needle/vinyl technology improved at all?  I assume it's the same....or it would kinda defeat the object of it....I'm just wondering if it's any more difficult to scratch a record than it was when I was a bairn?

Purely because I've got 3 kids and am nervous about diving into vinyl again!  

No, it’s just as easy as it ever was. It’s not a problem if you’re just a little careful.

9 minutes ago, Jashin said:

No, it’s just as easy as it ever was. It’s not a problem if you’re just a little careful.

If they'd been careful they wouldn’t have 3 kids :D

Turntables can be as sensitive as they’ve always been, maybe start with a budget stylus if you’re worried about damage to your TT.

On the plus side, there’s some great budget cartridges/styli available, check out the AT95E.

• Upvote 1

The list for Record Store Day 2020 has leaked, here's photos of it:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yjsBe0e

As always, I'll say I'm not queuing up and paying over the odds for one pisstake day when I support the record industry all year round.

However.....

I'll probably weaken, am interested in:

Manic Street Preachers 12"

Mansun album

The Amorphous Andogynous album (FSOL)

Chemical Brothers 12"

Charlatans vs Chemical Brothers album

Cybotron - Colossus

Czarface album

Future Sound of London album

The Grid 12"

I can't afford all of them, if I get the Mansun and FSOL albums I'll be happy.

On 06/03/2020 at 06:53, RastanSaga said:

IMG_20200306_064122.jpg

Nice, love the piano intro to The Little House I Used To Live In.

• Upvote 1

Over twenty years ago I had to sell my vinyl collection as I was unemployed and skint.  I have always, always regretted it but at the time had no choice.

Combination of marriage, kids, work, and modern progress for CD’s and streaming, and vinyl disappearing for a while meant I just left it all in the past. But recently my daughter started buying vinyl of her favourite artists.  No deck to play them on but the spark was there, and mine was back too.

My wife bought me a deck for Xmas, but unknown to her it was damaged and faulty so had to go back.  Yesterday, I finally bought a replacement.  It’s not a high end job, and the built in speaker is only ok with no bass really, but it’s better built than the first one, very sturdy and a full size platter.  I’ve got an old pair of bookcase speakers so an amp will be next as it has phono out cables attached.

Daughter has said she would like to go to a Record Fair so that’s in the pipeline, along with my ever expanding list of what to buy & re-buy, but I have two of my favourites that also came at Xmas to keep me going.

Tl:dr version - 45 year old remembers vinyl is a thingFA9D031A-8671-4043-9662-15D34EA64DA9.jpeg.da1b380755ff3ba6c7c34399d90ece21.jpeg

• Upvote 3

@Horribleman

would you mind sharing a wider shot of your listening spot? I love the black / dark grey walls - would like to see the wider room. I redecorated our living room from a very gaudy but dark wallpaper to the light blue and don’t regret it as the room is so much bigger but do like a dark wall. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, And said:

@Horribleman

would you mind sharing a wider shot of your listening spot? I love the black / dark grey walls - would like to see the wider room. I redecorated our living room from a very gaudy but dark wallpaper to the light blue and don’t regret it as the room is so much bigger but do like a dark wall. 

Sure, here you go. 

20200325_091740.thumb.jpg.285c8d364075bcccf22f97b050b68b28.jpg

This is the colour:

https://www.farrow-ball.com/paint-colours/studio-green

• Upvote 2

Sorting out/playing a bunch of my 7"s today with my daughter's help. "Play that pink one, Daddy!"

IMG_4881.thumb.JPG.4a7dba59c03ac8cc9975d0709e04e83b.JPG

• Upvote 1