rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

What is spinning on your turntable?

Np pics to back this up but today I'm playing two new album releases:

Suspiria Soundtrack (pink vinyl) by Thom Yorke

Diagrams by Paul Smith

plus an assortment of 7 different 12" Techno/dance/electronic singles I got in the Juno 99p sale the other day.

It's been a good week for music!

Just a quick reminder that the Favourite Albums of 2018 list thread is pinned to the top of the Music forum, and closes on 31 December - you don't need to have 10 albums... every vote counts, even if you've only got a couple of favourites!

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/307983-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-2018-list-thread-open-until-31-december/

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul. Must have blown minds in 1969, an incredible experience this album - the definitive psychedelic soul work, probably. Turning an old Glen Campbell song into a 20 minute psychedelic soul krautrock-infused shagging song is mad genius. 

Whatever reissue it is I have sounds sensational too. 

*Krautsoul? 

• Upvote 1

Pleased with this find in a great second hand record shop in Lincolnshire, near my parents. It's becoming a bit of a Christmas tradition now to go there and sweep up some classics for way cheaper than you'd pay in London. 

IMG_20181230_231040_980.thumb.jpg.cb2e6879654a28c073d87b14c8ce976c.jpg

• Upvote 3

Lucky, been looking for that for ages but it never appears in any of the Glasgow second hand shops. 

I did get the Midnight Express soundtrack a while back though, it was cheap!

From Here To Eternity is great. Essential, even. But I do prefer E=MC² from 1979. Like FHTE, the medley on side A is the highlight (a whirlwind of high energy disco from start to finish) but I find the B side tracks to be much stronger. 

On 30/12/2018 at 23:55, acidbearboy said:

From Here To Eternity is great. Essential, even. But I do prefer E=MC² from 1979. Like FHTE, the medley on side A is the highlight (a whirlwind of high energy disco from start to finish) but I find the B side tracks to be much stronger. 

I've got this wrenching feeling that E=MC² was in the shop as well, but I was already carrying so many records at that point and didn't know it. I might charge my sister to go see if it's there because I've since listened to it and it is great. That said, I don't know if I liked it more, different vibe. E=MC² felt more upbeat and disco and FHTE has that spacey scifi vibe. It's all good though, I'm actually totally new to Giorgio and it's getting heavy rotation right now. 

On 11/06/2018 at 21:15, keineboom said:

FB_IMG_1528748011624.thumb.jpg.c8009ce81d612f902d4b94709a8e53ce.jpg

Bit late to respond to this one but I got this too. It was great to relive on vinyl. Did you see that they've announced a special edition Six for preorder? I think Six is an amazing album. I can understand if not everyone would be into it, it's odd in its own way, but it's a real journey. I can't wait to put it on, make myself a cocktail and just let it wash over me.

• Upvote 1

After the mentions in the one hit wonders thread, I had to start digging out some old school 12"s.

First up is this beauty which also made it into the halls of Amiga soundtrack fame.

btb1.jpg.5374c9786009eda43e8c73234e6c210e.jpg

A look at the label for those that don't recognise it in motion.

btb2.thumb.jpg.1730d1aa244fd603f39b4c367e3d8b20.jpg

Next up - Airport 89 by Wood Allen

Edit - Now playing - 20 Seconds to Comply by Silver Bullet

• Upvote 1

My local oxfam is getting a refit so  had a sale on before closing - everything in the shop 10 for a £1. All the vinyl had been picked over, but I did find an amazing field recording/audio tour of London from 1969 in there.  This thing

No Artist - This Is London (A Tour In Stereo Sound Of The World's Most Exciting City)

Url: https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-This-Is-London-A-Tour-In-Stereo-Sound-Of-The-Worlds-Most-Exciting-City/release/630437

There's a bit where a guy is speaking against the Vietnam war in Trafalgar Square and getting roundly booed!

I am pretty sure it has never been listened to. Perfect nodding off to sleep stuff. 

(I bought 9 books otherwise). 

OH HELLO MR MOUSTACHE

After our recent discussion I asked my Sister if she was passing the record shop near my parents, to see if they had this. And they did. I actually wonder if whoever gave the other FTTE record to the shop also gave this one, and I've reunited the old friends in my collection.

image.thumb.png.5917cb92a81c6dbf534ffddf04cecd5a.png

First Specials album in 37 years. First number one album I’ve bought in about the same time. Loving The Interrupters as well. Tim from Rancid all over it but that don’t make it bad. Way better than Lars’ obsession with football aggro and “street music”

71137165-9EEB-41D4-ABBB-59EBB8FF1240.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 24/02/2019 at 13:00, mrben09 said:

First Specials album in 37 years. First number one album I’ve bought in about the same time. Loving The Interrupters as well. Tim from Rancid all over it but that don’t make it bad. Way better than Lars’ obsession with football aggro and “street music”

71137165-9EEB-41D4-ABBB-59EBB8FF1240.jpeg

Ah, should have gotten 'Encore' on vinyl and not CD. I'm really enjoying it - much funkier than your classic Specials, in places.