Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Nespresso

And thats a wrap...just this second finished the campaign. Amazing graphics but the game just descended into an awfully dull corridor shooter. (With some flying bits and some floaty space bits along the way).

I will leave you boys to it....back to big fuck off robots and some WWI action for me.

On 25/11/2016 at 12:07, Kevvy Metal said:

It 'twas a joke. I've gushed about how amazing I think the game is. I totally love it. 

I was riffing on the drive by poop slinging posts in here of recent. 

Oh, I'm enjoying it hugely - it's just new to me, and I'm having difficulty reading the gameplay at times, don't know the weapons, can't always work out where I'm supposed to be heading, and think I'll enjoy a second run-through a bit more.

The plot point I highlighted about just how likely you are to be involved in each mission still stands - but I've had to suspend my disbelief over worse than that in the past.

Aaaaaaand I'm done (with the campaign, that is).

I liked that ending. Sure, the whole lead-up was pretty gung-ho, but a respectful resolution nonetheless. And it would be churlish to criticise a game like this for being hung-ho; that's why you buy it, right?

So despite my feeling a tad manipulated in the feels here and there, an enjoyable romp with some great set-pieces. I think a replay is on the cards, as I was getting the hang of the game flow and and the nuances of the various weapons later on. Might see if my connection will handle MP, but not until I've had a lot more practice!

Finished the campaign myself, it was great stuff. My only regret is not having more of it. Crazy gung ho space nonsense which was all too happy to throw new toys and guns at you, and all the spectacle you'd hope for.

The plot was written by the lead actor, incidentally.

The aspect of the plot that really stuck out to me was how utterly irredeemable the martians were painted. I'm not asking to talk to the monsters, as it were, but they laid it on so thick — including in the 'death quotes' — I was half expecting it to go all Spec Ops: The Line towards the end.

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Crazy gung ho space nonsense which was all too happy to throw new toys and guns at you, and all the spectacle you'd hope for.

Yeah, pretty much this - at one point I had an awesome automatic shotgun which chewed up the bad guys into meaty confetti. That and the sniper energy rifle with automatic fire mode would have done me for the entire game (apart from the mandatory 'bullets can't hurt this type of mech' bits).

40 minutes ago, smac said:

Yeah, pretty much this - at one point I had an awesome automatic shotgun which chewed up the bad guys into meaty confetti. That and the sniper energy rifle with automatic fire mode would have done me for the entire game (apart from the mandatory 'bullets can't hurt this type of mech' bits).

It's basically the game Guerrilla have been trying to make for about 10 years with Killzone 3 and Shadow Fall, only good.

Well, I'm glad you guys talked me into it - I'd never have gone for it if this thread hadn't said the campaign was worth a punt. Cheers!

On a related note, my Black Friday copy of Titanfall 2 has just landed on the doormat, so I can now go and compare the two...

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

It's basically the game Guerrilla have been trying to make for about 10 years with Killzone 3 and Shadow Fall, only good.

Similarly this (and Titanfall 2) made Halo 5 look really out of date and a bit crap.

It's the exact sort of planet-spanning scifi militarism that series is all about, and this does almost everything better first try.

6 minutes ago, sprite said:

Hi guys

Have I missed the boat on good deals for the Legacy Edition? Hoping someone can point me in a good direction for a physical copy for PS4 :) Thanks!

I don't think it was at cheaper during Black Friday than what Simply are currently doing it for.

http://deals.simplygames.com/p/call-of-duty-infinite-warfare--legacy-edition-ps4

Finished the campaign last night. It was refreshing not to have some shit quicktime event where you eventually either shoot/stab Jon Snow in her his annoying fucking face. Some might mourn the lack of something resembling a big final boss battle and collectables lying all over the shop, but I dug it. The sense of doom towards the end is magnificent and while some character deaths are well signposted, they never felt cheap or wrung out. 

2 hours in and so far it's been really solid and is showing signs of perhaps being the best CoD campaign yet! 

I'm impressed by how good the writing and performances have been so far. Even though it's mostly been a lot of military wankery between the leads they even manage to make the robot (Ethan) to be a captivating character. Compared to BT from TF2 he has a lot more personality and charm to him. So as far as BT vs E3N goes... this round goes to CoD. The combat doesn't hold a candle to TF2 obviously but it's been enjoyable enough. 

Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow. :)

The multiplayer is shockingly bad. It's like they threw all design sensibilities out the window when they developed it. Movement feels worse, weapons lack defining visual features, map design is just plain bad (with most maps being a collection of rectangle rooms) and the spawning system is even worse than before as well, and the list goes on. Also there are a ton of technical problems on PC but that's to be expected I suppose (well not really as Black Ops 3 was just fine).

Honestly, why anyone would play this over BF1, TF2 or BO3 is a mystery to me. It's subpar in pretty much every regard.

8 minutes ago, VN1X said:

The multiplayer is shockingly bad. It's like they threw all design sensibilities out the window when they developed it. Movement feels worse, weapons lack defining visual features, map design is just plain bad (with most maps being a collection of rectangle rooms) and the spawning system is even worse than before as well, and the list goes on. Also there are a ton of technical problems on PC but that's to be expected I suppose (well not really as Black Ops 3 was just fine).

Honestly, why anyone would play this over BF1, TF2 or BO3 is a mystery to me. It's subpar in pretty much every regard.

I'm with you on this. I loved BLOPS3 (19 days, 1.9kd, 96% of challenges done) but this feels so subpar. I've so little motivation to play it. Most of our group have binned it off already. Might be time for me to check out Titanfall.

I've got some issues with multiplayer, but I'm not sure they're the same as everyone elses. The movement is fine for me, it's identical to BLOPS3 if not even more lenient. You jump higher and you can wall run then boost far more in this. I find the maps have a bit of an oppressive atmosphere on the spacey ones. The lava planet one just feels claustrophobic and unpleasant...as it should, but I don't want to spend much time with it. Same with the one over Saturn, the black starry sky and oppressive metal base just isnt a hospitable environment to play it. I much prefer the ones on earth, or earth like planets. The Halo map is pretty good, the one in the train station with the baseball ground next to it, the ice planet level, there are some decent maps.

The sound is broken though..or maybe not broken, but it needs some tweaking. You can hear anyone using the robot character clanking around for miles, but most other people (even with dead silence), you can barely hear til they're on top of you. However if they're near you but behind a wall, you often hear them more clear than if they were 10 yards away but without the wall. Definitely needs some work...and there is no 'amplify' this year as a perk. This next one im genuinely baffled by...dead silence as a perk is great, my 1st perma unlock...essential for me. However, perk slot 2 tracker is listed as 'countering' dead silence...as in, you can see people tracks. This blows my mind however and I'm still not sure if its a bug...if you equip dead silence AND tracker....it disables your dead silence. You are "countering" your own dead silence with your own tracker, in so much that it literally turns it off for you. They don't stack. I'm convinced this must be a bug.

Apart from that...the weapon, crate, salvage system is a bit average. I ran up the 1st mission team to full level 50..got some 2nd tier guns. I unlocked some with crates as well, got some tier 2 ARs, SMGs and stuff. You are free to spend salvage on them right off the bat, but the prices are a joke..it goes 200, 500, then 2000...I don't even know whats after than..probably 5000 or 10,000. I get they are meant to last the full year, but it's stupid. The menus dont tell you which challenge is nearing completion like BO3 did, the after match stat screen doesnt tell you your headshots for that match (BO3 did, and it was how you unlocked camos), there are just too many weapons, camos, etc to do challenges for in general. I've not even got near maxing out the main starting rig, never mind the other ones..even for COD, its too much of a time sink.

Its still good, ive more than had my moneys worth, but I'm not getting the same sense I got last year with BO3, where it felt really exciting, like loads of people were playing it and fascinated by it's secrets. I think i'm mostly done with IW for now, and am ready to install MWR.

Oh, and you unlock those classic weapons like the AR with underslung grenade launcher...it comes with ONE grenade per life, and it has a damage radius of 1 square foot. I literally have recordings of shooting people right on their toes with it and they survive, even on hardcore..really annoying.

See I dont mind that, mixes things up, the advantages of the PTW weapons are so minute as to barely even count. At best, you might get an auto reload after 2 consecutive headshots or something.

The whole front end is just not as well put together as Treyarch's though.

It's free to try this (five-day) weekend and because five days is likely to be more than anyone will want to spend on this multiplayer, they're throwing in the start of the campaign and Zombies too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-13-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-free-to-try-for-five-days

Desperate times for Activision.

And to think it's still slaughtering everything at retail apart from FIFA.