rllmuk
Yobo Ahoy

Fleabag - BBC3 Comedy

Wow. I just rewatched the new episode having seen it last night. I don’t think I’ve ever done that with a tv programme before. 

Its possibly the tightest 30 minute sitcom episode I’ve ever seen. Every line of dialog, every cut, the glances between characters and their expressions as others speak, nailed. 

• Upvote 2

On 06/03/2019 at 21:34, MemoryLeak said:

Its possibly the tightest 30 minute sitcom episode I’ve ever seen. Every line of dialog, every cut, the glances between characters and their expressions as others speak, nailed. 

totally agree, there was a single wasted line or look or movement that wasn't pitch perfect and served the whole awkwardness of the episode

great first ep return and worth the wait.

• Upvote 2

On 04/03/2019 at 17:42, Triple A said:

I like this show a lot, but for a bit of balance against all the love, fucking hell it’s smug. Like, worse than Catastrophe smug.

I think the show is only 'smug' if you find well off people who live in London inherently smug, which I think says more about you than it does about the show.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah exactly I don't get the smug criticism because we as viewers know how shallow it all is. That criticism just shows you've missed the point of it all.

I wasn't as blown away as everyone else, might watch it again. Very happy to have it back though.

• Upvote 3

Smug is fine, cos in regards to fleabag its not condescending. Its not, this isnt for you. It's,  this is for you.

I just talked directly to you, come in be horrified and laugh, cos yup, your right we are all fucking nuts and fucked up in our own way.

Anyway if that wasnt the most confident and funny opener to a second series of anything ever. 

Andrew Scott oozes charisma its uncanny, same for Phoebe. 

Give all of the series to me now. 

• Upvote 5

The (future) mother in law is so wonderfully awful, and the brother in law just drips with slimy sadism. Fuck it - every character is so well realised. It's just brilliant.

• Upvote 1

The Mrs persuaded me to watch the first episode last night, having never heard of this before, and I thought it was superb especially Fleabag herself.  I loved the icy, awkward relationship between her and her sister.  Going to binge through the remaining episodes and looking forward to it.

I found out that the creator of this is the same woman who created Killing Eve, so jumped straight into the first episode of series 2 - absolutely brilliant, both myself and my other half laughed frequently and in all the right places. 

I was very impressed by how, having not watched the first series, I was immediately sold on all of the characters and their relationships. There was no explanation necessary - I think without the series recap this could have worked as a stand along short film almost. 

Really quite excellent, looking forward to catching up with the first series and following on through with the rest of the second. 

The writing in this is just out of this world. So funny and fucking grim, jesus. Everything is top class - script, performances, casting, editing.

On 08/03/2019 at 12:51, Professor Puzzles said:

The smugness is balanced out nicely by the fact that every one of the characters is living a horrible, miserable life.

Apart from the God/Stepmother. She's having a ball and couldn't give a fuck about the car crashes happening around her. She's fucking gas.

Thanks for the recommendation, its funny but I find it more depressing and even more so when we found out what happens regarding her pal.

Just rinsed series 1 and onto 2 now. 

It’s certainly funny in places, but it feels, (and I cant think of another way of saying this) like a comedy for Guardian readers.  That’s not a critism of them or the program, but  that’s my observation.  

In fact I just asked a colleague if she watches it. She does and loves it, and reads the Guardian, so there you go. 

• Upvote 2

I’m not overawed by it myself either, but that’s because I find this kind of comedy of misery a bit tedious, no matter how nicely it’s done.

People whooping it up is fair enough because it’s very good indeed, but you can pick an episode of Phoneshop entirely at random and it will be better than this - for me, anyway.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 2

23 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’m not overawed by it myself either, but that’s because I find this kind of comedy of misery a bit tedious, no matter how nicely it’s done.

People whooping it up is fair enough because it’s very good indeed, but you can pick an episode of Phoneshop entirely at random and it will be better than this - for me, anyway.

Ha - Photoshop certainly did make me laugh...

• Downvote 1

I was a bit disappointed with ep2, it was fine but a drop off from ep1.

ep3 was awesome.

Again the performances are nailed on, I loved Kristen Scott Thomas’ role, funny and effortless. Andrew Scott too, I was in bits at the Fox stuff. Intriguing *twist* too...

I agree, ep2 felt like a drop in the intensity from the first, but last night felt pitch perfect again.

Some brutal lines between Fleabag and her sister too.

• Upvote 1

I love this so much. Re-watched the first series, and I would do so a third, or fourth time. 

I love how it subverts comedy tropes. Any other comedy would have built up the tension over smashing the award, but Fleabag just drops it the second it’s out of the case. Of course she does! 

• Upvote 1

At one point I genuinely thought she was gonna get murdered last night.

The entire tone shifts gear so quickly and easily.  

I liked ep4 glance to the wrong place

Spoiler

From the priest, after Fleabag had done a look to camera

The whole bit with 

Spoiler

"Kneel" made me wonder what shit the priest was going to pull.  And then defused really quickly, mostly by "is this skirt or trousers".

The priest's 4th wall breaking feels so weird to me. The quick turn and "what?!" made me laugh but the longer one, the wide shot with her on the left and him on right, she glances first and then he turns his head and holds the glance a bit longer felt really... almost intrusive. I'm not sure if that's what they're intending by it but if it is, then bravo to them. Hard to explain, but excellently done.

• Upvote 3

I'm enjoying this series, but it definitely has a different feel. 

Largely due to the 'capsule' nature of the first series where we saw the end, and had to loop back round to it. This feels more like an unguided meander. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

I didn’t realise this before last week’s episode, but it’s dawning on me that Fleabag is at least in part about

mental health.

We know she’e grieving but that

therapist scene and the fourth wall breaks with the priest

changes our perspective and really hits home.  It is verging on crossing over into more drama than comedy, but it's done really well.

• Upvote 1

That was intense this week, brilliantly written again.

I don’t think its a coincidence that the flashbacks don’t have the 4th wall breaking - my suspicion is she isn’t talking to us the viewer, but her mother maybe.