Yobo Ahoy

Fleabag - BBC3 Comedy

You lost me at Seinfeld, the least funny show in the history of humanity.

Also reminds me of when someone on the forum years back claimed nobody really likes beer, they just say they do because they don't want to admit they don't

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

it’s suddenly become the thing to be seen to be saying is incredible - better than anything before it, and I don’t think that’s the case.

Maybe, just maybe, it really is good and that’s why people are talking about it?

Has anyone actually said it’s better than anything before it? Although, even if they did they’d be entitled to their opinion.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

Maybe, just maybe, it really is good and that’s why people are talking about it?

Has anyone actually said it’s better than anything before it? Although, even if they did they’d be entitled to their opinion.

maybe this thread is indicative of what's happening "out there"?

a few posts 3 years ago, during series 1, and then it blows up with series 2 right from the get-go, suggesting that it's even better than series 1, at least.

So more people get on board with it. Word of mouth and that.

It's really slowly grown so by the time series two came out loads were up to speed with how brilliant it is. The show is also very much of its time, I'm the same age as flea bag and it's the most relatable thing I've seen on TV. The shallowness of online Dating, feminism, mental health and death are also topics which we are only just starting to talk about properly as a culture. Fleabag has something new and funny to say on all those topics. And the absurdity of modern life. Yes it's very middle class and London, but that's because she is.

Why is no one commentating on the symbolism of the bus stop?

Spoiler

Bus is very delayed, then cancelled. Much like her quest for love. I felt that ending was her giving up looking for it, and just coming to terms with what a shit bag she is.

Obviously many ways to read that. 

I think the whole point is she is not a

Spoiler

shit bag any more, or at least doesn't think she is one, and so isn't going to do anything self-sabotaging or reckless any more. Not to condense what is a whole series character arc into just the last episode, but we've had her sister say how she is the only person she'd run into an airport for (she then rushes off for someone else but the point stands - the sibling bond is totally recovered) we've had the priest say he loves her and mean it (doomed but still, this is love, not a one night fuck), we've had the dad basically say how her mother had all her crazy characteristics and not to lose them even if they can be dislikeable (previously they couldn't relate at all)... her taking the statue and not dropping it in the bin is basically her accepting those 'mother ordained' characteristics. The ending is the calmness of self acceptance and the hope of bridges un-burnt.

• Upvote 6

I didn’t see it quite that way. It was nice to have some acknowledgement from her family, but there was nothing to indicate some revelation 

We’ve all known people like her, there is no changing them. But she knows what she is and the ending showed to me an acceptance of that

I think of it like La La Land, I loved the end of that. It’s life. That’s what’s refreshing about the show

• Upvote 1

I agree with both of you! You can read it either way.

And I'm just reminded of her sister coldly explaining why chasing someone to an airport would be difficult to impossible, and then creepy. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I've watched both seasons of this over the last two weeks and thought it was fantastic. The best thing the BBC have done since This Country. The performances and writing were exceptional, and the fourth wall 'breaks' were strangely chilling. Brilliant TV.

9 hours ago, linkster said:

You lost me at Seinfeld, the least funny show in the history of humanity.

GTFO. Seinfeld is frequently hilarious, and so many programmes wouldn't even exist today if it had not.

• Upvote 1

So here's something. Fleabag IS brilliant. But the reason we love it is because despite being politically incorrect and awful, she tends to be right. Which plays into our narrative of being misunderstood.

Guess what. Some of us aren't right. 
Not you, obviously.

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

So here's something. Fleabag IS brilliant. But the reason we love it is because despite being politically incorrect and awful, she tends to be right. Which plays into our narrative of being misunderstood.

Guess what. Some of us aren't right. 
Not you, obviously.

Exactly. It’s like this forum, post what people actually think and you get negged to oblivion. Like her for the entire series - open your mouth to be honest and everyone in the scene is on hand to tear her down, because of weakness, need to be part of a mob / have validation for their weakness

I still think she is selfish, I dont think she was in love, but that doesn’t mean it is OK to abuse someone in that position, but thats what people do

I think there is truth to her asides to camera and when she 'causes a scene', certainly. But I think they are both defence mechanisms for someone who's unhappy and fucked up (Boo's suicide, mum's death). They are a release and an intended distraction. 

I took the last scene to be her realising they are just that, and they are ultimately pointless if she wants to be happy. Her mother in law and brother in law constantly admonish her for being a drama queen who wants to be the centre of attention, and as awful as those characters are, they're right. She does it for reasons they don't understand of course, but she has little care for the impact of her behaviour on others. To them, it's selfishness. To her, it's self-preservation*. I'm not sure it's that she's particularly trying to be brave or right about what she says or does.

*Although thinking about it, her dad thinks her behaviour is just who she is, and she takes it from her (now dead) mum. He thinks it's not a very nice part of her personality, but it's just *her*. But maybe it was self-preservation for her mum too, and she learned that behaviour from her mum, who knows?

Good show. Interesting to see how everyone is interpreting it. I suppose we all project the meanings that make most sense to us.

On 10/04/2019 at 13:47, Dr Nookie said:

My slightly tongue in check Guardian reader point is simply because I feel that way, and it just so happens - quite possibly by sheer fluke - that the several people I’ve asked about it who love it are Guardian readers, do get what I mean and we have had a laugh about that. 

You can totally see what he means though. Every time I go to the Guardian this week, there's another new Fleabag article.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/fleabag

• Upvote 1

But that is more that the media is so desperate for page impressions now that anything even remotely popular with their typical demographic gets endless articles, 'OMG are you Fleabag or her sister', 'which Lannister would you be', 'which Direwolf comes closest to your spirit animal'.

Its not the fault of the program, and doesn't make it any better or worse. 

• Upvote 1