IGNORED

PS4 4.00 firmware - folders, library sorting and trophy improvements - Out now!

Halo

Probably down to reducing cost by cutting down on battery size maybe? The pad is way better than the DS3 but it doesn't feel as sturdy as the xboxOne pad.

Is the rubber thumb stick wearing out if you look at it wrong still a thing? I had that on my launch pad but not on the replacement.

I agree the touchpad is terrible but it's a much better controller than the xbone, its the best pad ever IMO. Better sticks, better dpad, miles better bumpers..seriously why do those xbone bumpers have to be so clicky - ps4 bumpers feel much nicer. It has the headphone jack, a speaker on it, I even prefer the analogues next to each other now. They both lose synch sometimes which is bullshit, but yeah, best pad ever.

Subjective innit. For me the PS4 pad feels too wide. Probably because of that pretty pointless touchpad. And the stick placement is all wrong.

Yeah, I went there.

Oh yeah, that dude above me thinks the Elite pad is shit. I wouldn't trust him if I were you.

I don't think the elite pad is shit but it is much too heavy for my delicate sensibilities. It's also way too expensive for a pad and still has that odd bit of ergonomic design they introduced with the One pad that means your forefingers naturally rest at the end of the triggers. Good for racing games but not for any game where bumpers are needed. Keen to try the new One S pad, see if that sits better in my hands. 

The weight thing surprised me. All the money Microsoft spent researching pads and listening to feedback, yet they increase the weight by almost 50% and forget to mention it.

For reference, the elite pad weights 348 grammes from the official site, and the standard pad is 233g, so 50% of 233 = 116.5.  233 + 116.5 = 349.5. Before any maths pedants start getting silly.

The weight thing might be a deliberate decision to make it feel more sturdy and expensive; I seem to recall reading that Beats headphones contained components that were basically just weights. I'm not suggesting that MS are stuffing random bits of metal in the pad, but the keeping the weight down might not have been a priority for that reason. 

So anyway, I am on the new dash and it feels much more polished, the quick menu feel quicker both in terms of doing things (checking friends, messages etc) and in terms of actually loading things in. Folders are handy but I have mainly used it to tidy up older games/app I don't use very often. Feel like a solid update but wondering what big features they will add (like PC remote place last time) when is actually launches

1 hour ago, angel said:

The weight thing surprised me. All the money Microsoft spent researching pads and listening to feedback, yet they increase the weight by almost 50% and forget to mention it.

I love that. Nice heavy pad, I've always hated light pads.

8 hours ago, K said:

The weight thing might be a deliberate decision to make it feel more sturdy and expensive; I seem to recall reading that Beats headphones contained components that were basically just weights. I'm not suggesting that MS are stuffing random bits of metal in the pad, but the keeping the weight down might not have been a priority for that reason. 

I agree, would have been nice if they'd said so though. Even the demo units were fastened to the console, there was no way to tell.

8 hours ago, King A said:

I love that. Nice heavy pad, I've always hated light pads.

I found using it felt like I had a not insignificant weight pushing my hands down, compared to standard. 113 grammes may not sound like much but I found it just pushed over that edge of making you aware of holding something, and for hours on end.

5 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I just read that the new firmware automatically records the last 60 minutes of gameplay instead of 30 and also let's you stream at 60fps? That'd be excellent.

I thought it recorded 15 mins.  Even that needs a better way to manage it, hitting share sometimes takes ages to get a response, editing it down to what you want can be awkward..zapping to the end of 15 mins each time. Oh and if you hit share and it hangs, you hit it again during the unresponsiveness, then it comes back and cancels with the 2nd press...and that 15 minutes is now gone. Lost a great clip because of this with no way to get it back.

14 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Probably down to reducing cost by cutting down on battery size maybe? The pad is way better than the DS3 but it doesn't feel as sturdy as the xboxOne pad.

Is the rubber thumb stick wearing out if you look at it wrong still a thing? I had that on my launch pad but not on the replacement.

The PS3 pad's got about a 500 mAh battery, the PS4 pad has double that. Both are Bluetooth too. Genuinely baffling.

8 minutes ago, angel said:

The ps4 pad has more degrees of movement sensitivity on the analogues, and possibly triggers. The headphone stuff too. It also has a sturdy outer casing to prevent fallapart.

Shame they didn't make the sticks and triggers from the same anti fall apart material :( 

18 minutes ago, angel said:

Never had an issue with mine.

I have had the sticks fall apart on the first pad, the triggers stick and finally the triggers don't register a certain pressure - the exact pressure to fire one of the sniper guns on BF4 - every other gun works fine, believe it or not is a 'common issue' on ps4 pads https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/22z83d/srr61_and_m98b_refuse_to_fire_on_ps4_really_needs/

The best and fourth 'fault' is the serial number has rubbed off so even while in warranty Sony wouldn't touch it....

Second pad is fine, mainly as it has Xbone sticks in it which are much better than PS4 sticks!

The sticks on my two pads I bought at launch are definitely succumbing to the pad rot issue, which isn't surprising given it's common and how much I've played Destiny.

I don't find the battery life a problem since I dimmed the light and turned on the auto-disconnect piece.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't find the battery life a problem since I dimmed the light and turned on the auto-disconnect piece.

I should go check I have that enabled, I have the official Sony charging dock which is a lovely little thing but if it's going to save me some electricity then I'm all for it!

On 16/08/2016 at 18:24, Uncle Mike said:

You know can set it to do that? Ever get that prompt about power options? ;)

On 16/08/2016 at 18:26, Shimmyhill said:

No wai!

I genuinely didn't know that, bloody Sony and not explaining anything to do with the power options ;)

The settings only work in-game. Not while you are sitting in the dash. So if you are downloading something for a few hours with the controller on, it will never turn off and happily burn though the controller battery quite happily.

On 19 August 2016 at 09:50, englishbob said:

The settings only work in-game. Not while you are sitting in the dash. So if you are downloading something for a few hours with the controller on, it will never turn off and happily burn though the controller battery quite happily.

Nah, my controller turns off after a period of inactivity in the dash. 

On 20/08/2016 at 22:57, jonamok said:

Nobody yet using the new firmware then? Interested in how much freedom you have with the folder system.

I'm using it. What do you need to know? Folder system seems to be the same as something like an android phone. 

Functionality seems to boil down to

1) press options on dash, select create folder

2) Name folder and select Apps/games from tick list

3) holder appears on the dash with top app/games contained show inside (as in it doesn't show everything, just the first 3 or 4)

I am finding the new quick menu much more useful,  it seems quicker both in terms of loading and in terms of getting to the information you want

• 3 weeks later...