IGNORED

PS4 4.00 firmware - folders, library sorting and trophy improvements - Out now!

Halo

PlayStation EU Blog: PS4's 4.00 Beta Starts Tomorrow - Get a Sneak Peek at Upcoming Feature

PS4’s 4.00 beta starts tomorrow – get a sneak peek at upcoming features

Folders, new UI, updated menus, Trophy changes and new personalisation options

Our beta for PS4’s upcoming 4.00 update, codenamed ‘Shingen’, rolls out tomorrow for everyone included in the public beta program. If you signed up and were selected, be on the lookout for an email with instructions on how to download.

Whether you’re in the beta or not, we wanted to give everyone a glimpse at some of the new features of this system software update. 4.0 will allow you to personalise your PS4 experience and enjoy a more streamlined interface with new ways to connect and share – we’re refreshing the system UI, adding Folders, updating the Quick Menu, and much more.

UI refresh

We’ve made a lot of adjustments and improvements to PS4’s main UI. That includes a range of changes, like revised pop-up notifications, updated system icons and new system backgrounds to choose from. As a whole, it all adds up to a more refined and easy to use UI.

Quick Menu

As you know, pressing and holding the PS button on Dualshock 4 brings up the Quick Menu. We’ve overhauled this menu to make it faster and easier to use. One big change is that the menu now only covers a portion of the screen, meaning you don’t need to leave gameplay entirely.

While still offering a range of feature options such as viewing trophies for the game you are playing, you can also customise the Quick Menu to add shortcuts for the features you want immediate access to. For instance, you can add Online Friends to your Quick Menu that will show the online status of your friends, as well as shortcuts to your Favourite Groups and Communities and lots more.

Share Menu

We’ve given a similar overhaul to the Share Menu, which appears once you press the Share button on Dualshock 4. Like the Quick Menu, it only covers a portion of the screen. It will save the last social network you shared video clips or screenshots to and allow you to share screenshots directly to a Community wall, making the process of sharing a screenshot or video a bit faster and more streamlined

You can also upload longer video clips to Twitter (was 10 seconds, now up to 140 seconds).

Folders and Library Organisation

One of the big requests we get from you is for more options to organise content on PS4. With this update, we’re adding functionality to create folders on PS4’s content launcher and library. This will help collect your favourite games and select apps in one place for quick and easy access.

We’re also making some pretty big changes to the Library. We’ve added a new tab called Purchased Content, which will show all of the content you own while your main library will only show content that is currently installed on your PS4. If you’ve downloaded a lot of games, demos, and game betas over the years, this should really help de-clutter your Library.

There are some new sorting tools for your Library as well allowing you to sort content by purchase date or install status. Also you can search for specific games and apps via text input.

Trophy Improvements

This update brings the ability to view Trophies offline. You’ll see a new ‘offline mode’ option if your system is unable to connect to the network, letting you view your entire trophy collection without an internet connection.

We’ve also added a button that will let you reveal the content of a Hidden Trophy. The trophy will still be hidden by default, but you can now choose to show the trophy name and info.

Lastly, we’re changing the icons that show how rare a trophy is. Instead of four boxes that fill, the icon looks like a pyramid with the ultra-rare trophies at the top.

User Profile

We’ve updated the look of the User Profile, making it easier to see relevant info for a player at-a-glance. For instance, you can now see your trophy progress compared with another player right from their profile. You can also add a background image to your own profile selected from the screenshots you took in your favourite games.

The 4.00 update has even more features that won’t be available in the beta, so stay tuned for additional info on what to expect. We’ll be back with more info on 4.00, including its launch date, in the coming weeks.

We hope you enjoy the beta and we’re looking forward to your feedback.

Pictures (from the Japanese blog):

Lw1v2xu.jpg

GHkwP8P.jpg

20160815-ps4-02.jpg

If we're at the point of claiming folders as a Nintendo/Wii U innovation then, well, blimey.

Unless there's something else in that list that can be seen as borrowing from the Wii U that I didn't notice.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:
If we're at the point of claiming folders as a Nintendo/Wii U innovation then, well, blimey.

Unless there's something else in that list that can be seen as borrowing from the Wii U that I didn't notice.

Exactly, the PS3 had folders years before the Wii U was announced. Why Sony haven't implemented them on the PS4 from the start, I don't know, but better late than never.

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

On Gaf they were talking about the rumour that two-factor authentication was being rolled out. I hope that's true because it would be far more welcome than all these improvements listed here,  even moreso than folders and the like.

Allegedly confirmed by a Playstation UK call center operator as rolling out on the 25th August after an initial trial in the Australia / New Zealand region.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/4xqfge/psa_2step_verification_coming_soon_for_eu_regions/

http://imgur.com/a/vekxu

1 hour ago, Hean Dog said:

Why?  Im guessing it reflects in your screen or something?  I cant say I have ever noticed that myself.  It is a pain you cant turn it off though to save battery.

It take barely any battery.

my battery life is fine with a dock. Charge it when it's not in your hands. I also took the rumble packs out f my controllers so they are super light now.

To be able to turn off the controller light would be to save battery. Anyone who says it doesn't use battery up is lying. The DS4 has worse battery life than the DS3.

Sony should also allow it on ecological grounds, if they care at all, as it means you are constantly charging the thing.

To be able to turn off something that has fuck all use makes ecological sense

Well the LED in the DS4 pad isn't going to be using more than around 5mA of current, I believe the battery on the pad is a 1000mAh capacity cell. So you could run just that LED for 200 hours before the battery runs out. You get about eight hours out of a single charge of a DS4,  so its drawing about 125mA an hour. So, it's roughly worked out in my head,  but removing the LED would barely get you an extra twenty minutes of battery life. 

I once had an 8.5 hour session of Destiny, I had to swap pads right near the end - I woulda made it without the LED :omg:

Having said that it also would have made it if the pad turned off during times I wasn't using it like the Xbone does so when making coffee and having lunch etc!

7 hours ago, Hean Dog said:

Why?  Im guessing it reflects in your screen or something?  I cant say I have ever noticed that myself.  It is a pain you cant turn it off though to save battery.

It lights up a room suprisingly when you're playing something like SOMA in the wee hours, I just wanted it gone. Wait 3 years for Sony to relent or just nip to the kitchen drawer.

I really didn't think I was giving one of those prick answers, whack 1 layer of black insulation tape, bang, its just the right width too. :)

33 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Having said that it also would have made it if the pad turned off during times I wasn't using it like the Xbone does so when making coffee and having lunch etc!

You know can set it to do that? Ever get that prompt about power options? ;)

Do we know for sure why the PS4 controller has such a ridiculously low battery life compared to the PS3 controller, which seems to last forever? Surely the touchpad/LEDs can't use THAT much power given their widespread use in portable tech? It would be a horrible design tradeoff given they're basically useless.