Denis Villeneuve's Arrival

Goose

10 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Sounds like Scotland to me...

They are both English. Nothing to do with countries. It's just ignorant fucks. If you don't enjoy a film, fine. But don't ruin it for the people who like it. They did the same on Hacksaw Ridge. Only shut up once it got to the war scenes.

55 minutes ago, King A said:

They are both English. Nothing to do with countries. It's just ignorant fucks. If you don't enjoy a film, fine. But don't ruin it for the people who like it. They did the same on Hacksaw Ridge. Only shut up once it got to the war scenes.

I'd probably stop going to see films with them

2 hours ago, King A said:

I saw this the other night, from what I could hear, I loved it. It's going to need a rewatch though. Two of the guys that watched it with us just fucking talked over the whole thing. Complained about the lack of shooting & killing & got annoyed that there wasn't a war with the aliens. Then complained that it didn't make sense after they had spoken over the majority of the film.

This is a metaphor for me and diddler isn't it.

9 hours ago, Mentazm said:

How is this film not clever? It's about language and pictograms. Have you actually seen a smarter Hollywood blockbuster in recent years? All the marvel films for instance are as dumb as a box of frogs.

Yeah but at least they are entertaining, this was a snoozefest.

1 minute ago, King A said:

No.

My mistake, I meant analogy.

You should rewatch it, loved this film. Wish I'd seen it in the cinema.

Just now, King A said:

I think it's something the missus would like, so it's on my to buy list now.

I want to show it to my ma as she's a linguist, think she'd enjoy it.

I liked the soundtrack too, even if it was very similar to Sicario. Bodes well for Bladerunner.

1 hour ago, GMass said:

But people are acting like they are.

No, people are acting like they're put together into an excellent movie which uses those ideas in an interesting way. I'm not saying it's 2001, but 2001 was full of some of the hokiest shit in science fiction by literary standards.

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

No, people are acting like they're put together into an excellent movie which uses those ideas in an interesting way. I'm not saying it's 2001, but 2001 was full of some of the hokiest shit in science fiction by literary standards.

The velcro shoes?

I think i heard in reviews it nods to vonneghaut and sci-fi, i didn't expect it to literally be the 

Spoiler

Aliens from ds9

Still, i enjoyed it. Visually it was stunning, the aliens looked alien. I twigged the plot as soon as someone said the sentence structure was 

Spoiler

Non linear

But I'm a cynical film geek.

I think both sides of this argument make good points. I was a little disappointed after all the positivity, i was expecting a classic. I still really enjoyed it and as others have said not blockbusters like this please. Ultimately it was a human story about loss and love and all the better for that.

On 13/04/2017 at 18:03, sir shrew said:

The idea of non-linear and holistic time is not new or revelatory. It's an old sci-fi trope.

Would genuinely like to watch more films that deal with this common sci-fi trope - any good suggestions for my watchlist?

I love Timecop. Though never did figure out where the time machine goes to when they travel back through time. They're never in it when they arrive in the past, but always back in it when they get back to the present day. There must be some trans-dimensional car park for time machines.

The film was a disappointment to me, I'd settled in for a good sci-fi film, and instead got some human melodrama instead. 

I tend to try and avoid trailers and reviews (other than it reviews well) for spoilers and pre-judging what events might happen from the trailer in the real film. But what I got with Arrival was really not what I was expecting at all.

I'll never sit through it again

2 hours ago, Shoes said:

This thread is so depressing 

Same as most threads really. It's especially frustrating here given that the film is clearly brilliant, but honestly, I'd ignore the rubbish and what I can only assume is trolling. 

As an aside, here's an interesting breakdown of the cinematography:

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this and thought it was excellent. Couldn't get over how Forest Whitaker was terrible at his job, though. The guy tasked with finding the best translator on American soil can't understand how someone could translate some Farsi but can't translate two aliens she knows nothing about having listened to them once via a fucking dictaphone recording. "But you translated that Farsi okay, why not aliens???" Aye, she fucking speaks Farsi, you knob. Took me ages to get past that...

That aside, this was fucking excellent.

I'm sure Forest Whitaker used to be a really great actor...well, I'm fairly sure. 

I thought his acting in this was just called in. 

Between this and his utterly baffling part in Rogue One, I'm basically just thinking I might have been wrong.

Either that or he's waiting for Ghost Dog 2 to get made.

It's weird, he features in one of my favourite scenes ever ("Are you a hustler, Amos?" in The Color of Money ) but I struggle to recall him being a standout in much else. Maybe in The Crying Game? Although I haven't seen it in years, and remember his accent being a bit Dick van Dyke-y.....