Denis Villeneuve's Arrival

Goose

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Wish I could take credit for spotting this, but this was pointed out to me by a guy in work (who read it somewhere)...

Hide contents

Early in the film, Ian reads the opening lines of Louise's book, An Introduction to Linguistics:

"Language is the foundation of civilisation. It is the glue that holds the people together. It is the first weapon drawn in a conflict"

What's the first thing Abbot & Costello manage to say to Louise and Ian?

"Weapon. Use Weapon."

I just watched that early scene to confirm that dialogue, and there is something I myself noticed. When Ian first reads that, you can't hear him, because Louise can't hear him over the sound of the helicopter they're sat in. It's not until Louise puts on the headset that she can hear and understand him. Everyone in that chopper needs the headset, a universal tool, to communicate.

The film is consistently brilliant throughout. Truly magnificent. 

Oh man, THAT is good. I had a real problem with 'use weapon' as a device. Now it makes beautiful sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved this, especially Amy Adams performance.

i have read the thread and don't think this has been discussed...

Spoiler

Does she write a book on how to decipher the alien language once they have left earth? I'm guessing that all those that read this will have access to the seeing the future type power?

I can't imagine that would end well for humanity, or is this what is required for humans to be able to help the heptapods in 3,000 years?

5 hours ago, Syntax said:

Hide contents

Does she write a book on how to decipher the alien language once they have left earth? I'm guessing that all those that read this will have access to the seeing the future type power?

I can't imagine that would end well for humanity, or is this what is required for humans to be able to help the heptapods in 3,000 years?

Spoiler

That was one of the most interesting takeaway concepts for me - what does the world look like when anyone who wants to can see the future?

Much would depend on the exact mechanics of how the foresight works (Can you only see into your own lifetime? Are you always aware of future events or do you need to stop and have a think? etc), but I think it would probably work out pretty well. What problems would you predict?

28 minutes ago, ryanm said:
  Hide contents

That was one of the most interesting takeaway concepts for me - what does the world look like when anyone who wants to can see the future?

Much would depend on the exact mechanics of how the foresight works (Can you only see into your own lifetime? Are you always aware of future events or do you need to stop and have a think? etc), but I think it would probably work out pretty well. What problems would you predict?

Spoiler

Knowing peoples intentions in advance, would the human race be able to adhere to the requirement of such knowledge, i.e. not looking to meddle and change things.  We know she had her daughter, but she also told her partner of her foresight which I am guessing is not something you should do.

I guess its hard to say, is having knowledge of others intentions allow all suspicion to be removed, or does this transparency actually allow us to see bad intention and as such escalate matters more quickly?

Human race being what it is I fail to see how some would not choose to abuse the "power" in some way.  Although in the context of the film we dont fully understand how it can be utilised.

7 hours ago, Syntax said:
  Hide contents

Knowing peoples intentions in advance, would the human race be able to adhere to the requirement of such knowledge, i.e. not looking to meddle and change things.  We know she had her daughter, but she also told her partner of her foresight which I am guessing is not something you should do.

I guess its hard to say, is having knowledge of others intentions allow all suspicion to be removed, or does this transparency actually allow us to see bad intention and as such escalate matters more quickly?

Human race being what it is I fail to see how some would not choose to abuse the "power" in some way.  Although in the context of the film we dont fully understand how it can be utilised.

Spoiler

I can't see a way to abuse the power of foresight that doesn't involve fucking other people over, and it seems really difficult to fuck other people over when those people can see the future.

"We'll fund the NHS with £350M every week!" "Get fucked!"

"Morning sickness getting you down? Ask your doctor about Immunoprim today!" "Get fucked!"

"United Airlines flight 175 to LAX is now boarding" "Get fucked!"

etc, etc

2 hours ago, Syntax said:
  Hide contents

Exactly, so in a way foresight and certainty could breed uncertainty via the knowledge that they also knew the future based on their outcomes, regardless of what time reference based upon.

fuck

Spoiler

Well that's the nub of the thing: how can there be uncertainty when all parties can perfectly predict the outcome of any action?

To put it simply: They (the fucker) knows that they (the fuckee) knows that they know that they know that they're going to fuck them.

They know that they know this, there's no way that they can be ignorant of the fact that they know that they know that they are in for a rigorous fucking, courtesy of them. So why would they just lay back and continue on as if they didn't know that they know that they know that they're about to get fucked?

That'd make no fucking sense at all!

So yeah, it's a bit of a thinker.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to watch it.

It was...okay? I'm a big fan of Arthur C Clarke's stuff, and the first half of the movie tapped quite well into that sense of wonder. I found the second half dipped quite heavily. The whole 'twist' of what was going on felt so heavily sign-posted it didn't do that much for me, other than being a fairly annoying cliche of stuff that has gone before. I think if it had been a TV series and given more room to breathe I'd possibly have been happier. I found quite a bit of it slightly contrived. It feels very much like a partner film to Interstella in many ways. Quite big themes going on, beautifully presented and acted but lacking...a certain something to elevate it higher. For me at least :(

However, it was perfectly watchable, and I even enjoyed Renner's performance. Might have been something to do with him not having vast amounts of screen time, but there we go :p

On 2/6/2017 at 22:54, Vin said:

The score is incredible. My god, Jóhannsson's score for Blade Runner is gonna blow faces off. 

I wasn't at all interested in Blade Runner but Arrival is one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in ages. I loved interstellar but this was better. Soundtrack was exceptional. 

On 2/24/2017 at 08:56, Syntax said:

Hide contents

She starts a selective breeding program selecting for foresight. Because of the timescales involved, she actually splits the program into multiple parts, one of which uses a religious order to control the breeding. 

Three thousand years later and one part of the breeding program has created a form of human which is capable of instantaneous space travel (like the Aliens have). It's not 100% reliable though, but thankfully the aliens have access to a drug which enables 100% reliable space folding.

Eventually another part of the program succeeds in breeding someone with perfect foresight. This guy goes on to take control of the space travel drug and uses that to control the universe.

At this point it starts getting all weird, people start fusing with giant alien sand worms and an intergalactic army of lesbians who are invisible to foresight come along and clones of the first prescient dude's favorite bodyguard start appearing everywhere.

It turns out that the squids needed mankind to make this worm/dude hybrid, because he's the one who created the race of people who are invisible to those with foresight. Which stops the universe imploding upon itself. OR something like that.

It all makes sense if you pop some acid, apparently.

Spoiler

..the story fits surprisingly well into the Dune universe. The aliens travel is almost identical to the travel in Dune...

..I was actually watching Dune before I started Arrival, funny coincidence :)

Sorry that this isn't the ideal place - mods please move as needed as I couldn't find another more suitable thread.

Saw Enemy over the weekend - phwoar!! Loved it. My favourite Villeneuve movie to date.

Something I didn't see in any analysis articles on Enemy's plot -

I wonder whether Villeneuve is having a crack at marriage being a form of government/totalitarian control.

I saw this on the plane and thought it rocked.

Really interesting, great subtle performances, some cracking ideas in it.

Had no idea what to expect and was worried I'd touch down before it finished.  But it had already finished.  And started.

On 01/04/2017 at 00:42, sir shrew said:

Different strokes, as they say!

I love a good existential sci-fi, but this wasn't clever or engaging enough to satisfy me. I hated it. But at least we're all communicating with one another!

Because it was dull and I was expecting other forumites to rip into it, but unfortunately it seems most of you lapped it up!

I didn't feel as strongly as you but I get where you are coming from. It's simply not a clever film. Not that films need to be clever. But I hate it when they parade as one. It's all a bit heavy handed and trite and even I saw the end coming (and that never happens!).

6 hours ago, Mentazm said:

How is this film not clever? It's about language and pictograms. Have you actually seen a smarter Hollywood blockbuster in recent years? All the marvel films for instance are as dumb as a box of frogs.

Just because it's clever by blockbuster standards doesn't mean it is clever. It's 'about' language and histograms. So what? It jumps from 'we have no fucking idea what they are going on about' to 'shit yeah, we cracked it'.

Like I said, films don't need to be clever, I love plenty of 'dumb' films. But this parades as being some existential work and it simply isn't. 

Again, I'm not saying it's awful, it's a decent movie but it just left me feeling a bit disappointed. I'll get over it.

It's not necessarily a plot that we haven't seen before

I can't think of a film right now, but there are loads where knowledge of the future is being used as a way to save the day.

However, it is part of a broader idea that I find very interesting, even if the individual plot points weren't necessarily.

The difference between a sort of 'holistic' perspective of time and a linear one is quite something and everything in the story ties into it. How a lot of military and political struggle is the result of fear being stuck with limited information about the future. How so many aspects of life are temporary, something that both grief an joy are tied to. They are quite simple ideas, told with just a few characters and plot elements.

I found the central idea quite a 'twist', but the rest followed quite predictably from that. But to me it's a film less about plot surprises and more about exploring the central idea in a thought provoking way. The plot gives examples of political and personal consequences that are tied with it. In a sense a large part of the experience is to me clearly meant to happen after the film, for the viewer to think further on the basis of those examples.

I dunno, I found the ending a bit too much and it's very simple in so many ways. But the central idea remains very strong and I found the storytelling by Villeneuve very focused and self-assured.

I saw this the other night, from what I could hear, I loved it. It's going to need a rewatch though. Two of the guys that watched it with us just fucking talked over the whole thing. Complained about the lack of shooting & killing & got annoyed that there wasn't a war with the aliens. Then complained that it didn't make sense after they had spoken over the majority of the film.