Metroid 2 Remake (unofficial) - was released, was amazing, now eradicated by Nintendo

Heads up that AM2R has made it to Henkaku'd PS Vita. It's available in the homebrew browser if you struggle to find it, but it's amazing on that screen.  It's a perfect port, but the controls default to Xbox 360 pad so you need to redefine them in the options screen before you start.

Edit: and it's broken, see below.

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to playing this properly now I've got my 8bitdo pad. I was really impressed with it. It doesn't quite come up with a successful answer for how to make the repetitive Metroid fights more interesting, but then neither did the actual remake, and it's much closer tonally and in terms of its sense of place to the original game (although it's still kind of far away). I wonder if they could ever get away with releasing a version of this with the Nintendo IP taken off? Would that just be a slightly embarrassing pretence like Star Trek Renegades was?

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Finally got around to playing this properly now I've got my 8bitdo pad. I was really impressed with it. It doesn't quite come up with a successful answer for how to make the repetitive Metroid fights more interesting, but then neither did the actual remake, and it's much closer tonally and in terms of its sense of place to the original game (although it's still kind of far away). I wonder if they could ever get away with releasing a version of this with the Nintendo IP taken off? Would that just be a slightly embarrassing pretence like Star Trek Renegades was?

I'm not really sure what the point would be now. It's finished. It's been released. It's out there for everyone to play it. I believe the guy who made it had no intention of ever trying to make money from it, so what would be the point of releasing another free version of the game with a different name and main character? So we can direct download it from a blog rather than torrent it?

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Did I dream that the guy who made this is now working on level design for the next Ori game?

He is indeed now working at Moon Studios on a sequel to Ori. He had started work on a Metroidvania game before that and judging by his single tweet on his Twitter profile is still going ahead with that. 

There's plenty of room for improvement on the PS Vita version. The game crashes frequently enough to be annoying although the frequent save points stop that from being a massive problem (it is free, and sooo good that I'd put up with that).  However there is a game breaking bug where one of the bosses disappears out of the room leaving you trapped.  Shame because as far as I can gather the guy who ported it to the Vita isn't going to fix it. I'd go as far as saying it's one of the best games on the vita so its heatbreaking to play it so far only to get stuck.

• 1 year later...

This is pretty amazing, and not just "amazing for a fan game" but actually legit excellent. Nintendo quality. It's the Zero Mission sequel they never made. :wub:

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Samus Returns, but AM2R feels more 'authentic'.

So, the community has continued to patch the PC version of the game (currently v1.4.3) and it's very easy to set up. It doesn't even have to install - you just unzip it somewhere and play instantly. Default has V-sync off (urgh!) and some of the controls needed tweaking for my tastes (I can't handle two buttons for diagonal aiming - sorry Super Metroid), but there's loads of options you can fiddle with and it's very thorough. Presentation is excellent and I like the unintrusive log entries you unlock as you play. It has a real feel of quality running through it.

It's hard to believe this is based on a monochrome GameBoy game from 1991.

Any problems I have are mainly to do with the original game. Metroid fights are still repetitive/annoying. The map is still a bit too linear. You spend a lot of time slowly spider-ball rolling up walls and ceilings. But the game has grown beyond those limitations into something that can hold a candle to the official Metroid series, and that is frankly nothing short of remarkable.

Finished on 93%, just over 7 hours. Pretty sure there must be some hidden items that don't show on the map. (There's also one that does show on the map but I still couldn't find it!)

But I'm happy to call it done. I loved it! The extra areas, bosses and sequences are very well integrated and feel authentically Metroidy. I got Fusion vibes from some of it.

The expanded version of the Queen Metroid fight was nicely done, and no silly Ridley fight chucked in at the end.

Difficulty-wise, I found the game well-judged. Yeah, some of the bosses are very hard until you learn how to beat them, but that's how it should be. Normal enemies become easier the more you power up. By the end-game, you're flying through enemies and walls like butter - it's glorious.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished this. Funny story - got stuck on a boss near the end (trapper i believe - big spinney disc). Spent over an hour trying to kill it with no luck.

I gave up and came back a couple hours later and destroyed in first go, losing next to no health. If you get to this boss i suggest you do the same - you came across some extra power ups that help big time.

Great game, doubt i'll 100% it but worth a playthrough. Maybe I'll check out Zero Mission next.