rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dino_jr

Summer Olympics 2016 Brazil

Lovely stuff. Great final, huge pressure from the Aussies bringing out the very best from the British team.

Pretty good at this bike lark.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Chinese women having the best helmets has of course been an issue in the past...

And then they put up the caption "Men's Team Pursuit ceremony" over the Chinese women being presented gold...

• Upvote 1

Are the cyclists on drugs? Honest question. Scientific answers only please.

No

Or if they are, it's in absolutely tiny amounts that are possible to squeak past the most thorough testing regime in sport and not upset the biological passport long term numbers.

Just watching the highlights of the woman's pairs rowing. They absolutely smashed it didn't they. What an awesome win.

24 minutes ago, Tourist said:

Are the cyclists on drugs? Honest question. Scientific answers only please.

Looking at the last few Olympics (first place, second place, last in the quarter finals):

1992: 4:08:791, 4:10:218, 4:16:685
1996: 4:05:930, 4:07:730, 4:15:610
2000: 3:59:710, 4:04:520, 4:06:495 (two teams lapped)
2004: 3:58:233, 4:01:760, 4:05:266 (two teams lapped)
2008: 3:53:314, 4:00:040, 3:58:633 (lots of lapping)
2012: 3:51:659, 3:54:581, 4:05:458
2016: 3:50ish. Even the slowest qualifier was 4:05:02, and 5 were under 4 minutes...

There was basically a huge jump in performance by GB in 2008 when they started applying large amounts of lottery money to the problem, then incremental gains since then. Noticeably, five countries did better in just qualifying than would have got silver in 2008 this year, and Australia were much much closer to GB (0.7 seconds).

the rate of improvement has tailed off dramatically. It's not like four-sigma swimming.

• Upvote 1

It'd be nice if BBC1 could show a bit more actual sport and fewer interviews with Team GB (and Norn Iron) athletes. They spent about half and hour licking Redgraves and Hoy's holes before the pursuit race and now they're interviewing the rowers for what has seemed like an eternity.

There are other competitions still going on you pricks. 

• Upvote 5

You have to watch streams on the website or red button channels if you want to avoid the BBC personalities.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

It'd be nice if BBC1 could show a bit more actual sport and fewer interviews with Team GB (and Norn Iron) athletes. They spent about half and hour licking Redgraves and Hoy's holes before the pursuit race and now they're interviewing the rowers for what has seemed like an eternity.

There are other competitions still going on you pricks. 

Can't pos this enough.

Wiggins seems like an absolute prick of a man.I wish one of the interviewers would ask him about where a lot of that charity foundation money went.

• Upvote 2

I wish the BBC would stop rolling out Steve Redgrave whenever an athlete has won multiple medals. They did it in 2012 and it just looks ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I was in the car all day listening to 5 live, and they did a pretty good job. But I was quite cross when they broadcast almost none of the 10,000m, a historic / laughable race, depending on your point of view. I'm used to going elsewhere in the early laps. But here we missed all of it, including the finish, apart from a replayed sliver a few minutes late. And for what? A rowing medal ceremony. On radio. One national anthem is very much like another. And then several minutes of idle chat about the way people might be feeling. Broadcast. The. Sport. 

• Upvote 3

Christ there's a lot of moaning in this thread.

Are you all still on analogue? There's this thing called the BBC website where they have live streams of nearly all the sports.

Plus BBC four and the red button channels, if you really can't use the website or the app or the PlayStation app. Move out of the dark ages fellas.

I quite enjoy the interviewing, I actually like Mark Chapman and the other guy on BBC four, although Clare Baldwin can do one, as far as I'm concerned.  But if you don't like that stuff then avoid the BBC one coverage cos that's what it's like.

As for Team GB, what a great couple of days! We got golds and silvers falling out all over the place from trampolining and Judi to rowing and horse dancing, and the athletics has only just started. Loving it! :)

Rio looks amazing, the crowds are a little sparse, but that's poor organisation (tickets too pricey for locals) rather than anything else.

Maybe it's because I've been watching it while on holiday that I am getting a better buzz from it than you guys tuning in your radios at work. I dunno.

C'mon GB!! :)

• Upvote 2

So, it's all streamed from the BBC Sport website itself and not iplayer?

I was looking for the separate events on iplayer to no avail.

Weirdly, I can also only access all sports via BBC on Sky and not freeview, and my mum has sky locked to cooking channels 24/7.

<_<

2 hours ago, Danster said:

Christ there's a lot of moaning in this thread.

Are you all still on analogue? There's this thing called the BBC website where they have live streams of nearly all the sports.

Plus BBC four and the red button channels, if you really can't use the website or the app or the PlayStation app. Move out of the dark ages fellas.

I quite enjoy the interviewing, I actually like Mark Chapman and the other guy on BBC four, although Clare Baldwin can do one, as far as I'm concerned.  But if you don't like that stuff then avoid the BBC one coverage cos that's what it's like.

As for Team GB, what a great couple of days! We got golds and silvers falling out all over the place from trampolining and Judi to rowing and horse dancing, and the athletics has only just started. Loving it! :)

Rio looks amazing, the crowds are a little sparse, but that's poor organisation (tickets too pricey for locals) rather than anything else.

Maybe it's because I've been watching it while on holiday that I am getting a better buzz from it than you guys tuning in your radios at work. I dunno.

C'mon GB!! :)

Im loving it and also on holiday so outside of family trips its on all the time, it's no London 2012 in terms of atmosphere but it's still been great to watch as ever :)

• Upvote 1

Weirdly, I can also only access all sports via BBC on Sky and not freeview, and my mum has sky locked to cooking channels 24/7.

<_<

You don't have Sky Q??

Wiggins seems like an absolute prick of a man.I wish one of the interviewers would ask him about where a lot of that charity foundation money went.

I go from thinking he's great to thinking he's a prick but the foundation funding mostly went to funding women GB cyclists because there was a big thing about how none of the money went to the women's sport at the time - still true - and that local school rugby team his son went to (that was probably unwise but the team will benefit long after his son has moved on)

You can hardly criticise someone who made up £25k of the losses the 2nd Ride with Brad made, after the date had to be changed, out of his own pocket.

Did they let Cav do Round 1 of the Team Pursuit just to net him a Gold? I didn't know you could do that.

Katie Ledecky beat her own world record by 2 seconds and was 12 seconds clear of the field in 800m Freestye.

While I like to be naive and assume it is a legit record if she was a Chinese or Russian athlete questions would be asked.

Isn't she 18?  Those improvements are consistent for a super talented 15 year old growing into her body and being full time coached by the best in the world, dropping her own world record by a little each time.

In comparison, Ayana recorded a time that was 40 seconds faster than anyone in the same event had got in seven years, anywhere.