rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dino_jr

Summer Olympics 2016 Brazil

6 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

Just outdone by Canada smashing Japan 45-0.

And for those that don't know, Rugby sevens are seven aside with seven minute halves. Massive score.

Japan appear to be totally outclassed though,given the many overlaps they didn't make use of against GB

2 hours ago, Danster said:

Jeez, didn't realise we had a fish swimming for us! New world record in his heat of the 100m breaststroke!

I wonder how long till he tests positive for something.

Only half joking.

I wonder what's causing the difference this time, assuming it isn't the obvious. I thought all of the big drops in world record times had stopped after they banned the shark swimsuits

47 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I wonder what's causing the difference this time, assuming it isn't the obvious. I thought all of the big drops in world record times had stopped after they banned the shark swimsuits

It's just pure skill, he's British after all. Definitely not doping. Oh no. 

Anyway, the beach volleyball is on now, except it's the men rather than the ladies. :(

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Not really. Everyone said no world records would be broken again for decades, if ever. Then they immediately went back to breaking records again. The only sensible explanation is doping. Swimming is a total joke of a sport.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MalevolentPanda said:

Not really. Everyone said no world records would be broken again for decades, if ever. Then they immediately went back to breaking records again. The only sensible explanation is doping. Swimming is a total joke of a sport.

Didn't they scrap the shark suit records?

Sad fact that whenever anybody does something, like break a world record, that everyone cries doping.

I know we've been burnt before, but let's at least give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Fuck that.

It doesn't diminish the achievement for me anyways as everyone else is coping too so he's still the best!

Maybe he's just a very talented young lad at his first olympics. If it were someone competing at their third Olympics who had never qualified from a heat then there would be eyebrows raised.  

Swimming also has the problem (in terms of the consistency of times) of technology and design helping to make faster and faster pools, so at each Olympics they have a brand new pool with all the latest tricks to minimise turbulence and the like, because everyone wants to see records broken all the time.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-swimming-pool-idUSKCN10301O

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dng said:

Swimming also has the problem (in terms of the consistency of times) of technology and design helping to make faster and faster pools, so at each Olympics they have a brand new pool with all the latest tricks to minimise turbulence and the like, because everyone wants to see records broken all the time.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-swimming-pool-idUSKCN10301O

But actually that article suggests no major innovation to make pools faster since Beijing 2008, when high tech swimsuits were also being used. What really makes swimming suspicious (read: obviously doped to fuck), apart from the notoriously lax testing, is the fact that records have continued to tumble since then, despite the banning of suits that was meant to make such records untouchable.

And I can see why reducing splash back in the outside lanes would make lanes fairer but some of that just reads like complete bollocks: "That uniform three meter depth, now recommended by world body FINA and considered the norm since Beijing, makes the water more buoyant" What the fuck does that mean? Would a five metre depth be even more buoyant again?

Oh yeah, I'm not saying there's no drugs in swimming (which is why I said "also"). But I'm pretty sure the pool stuff isn't all bollocks, and is a contributing factor at major competitions.

Having a deeper pool reduces turbulence in the water, as the ripples each swimmer causes down through the pool have further to dissipate before they're reflected back to the surface, so are much more spread out and shallower, which is presumably what they actually mean with that quote (churned up white water is less buoyant than normal water but I don't think the depth of a pool would have much effect on that as that's all at the surface, and presumably what the lane dividers are there to smother).

I assume there's diminishing returns on the effects of water depth, but I would have thought having a 5 metre deep pool would reduce turbulence over a 3 metre pool and might make it marginally quicker.

Presumably the amount of energy a swimmer is pushing "down" through the water to the bottom of the pool to be reflected back would dissipate enough at 3m to make 5m unnecessary.  5m is 60% more water, so diminishing returns vs cost and all that.