Jump to content

Summer Olympics 2016 Brazil


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

Just outdone by Canada smashing Japan 45-0.

 

And for those that don't know, Rugby sevens are seven aside with seven minute halves. Massive score.

 

 

Japan appear to be totally outclassed though,given the many overlaps they didn't make use of against GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I wonder what's causing the difference this time, assuming it isn't the obvious. I thought all of the big drops in world record times had stopped after they banned the shark swimsuits

 

It's just pure skill, he's British after all. Definitely not doping. Oh no. 

 

Anyway, the beach volleyball is on now, except it's the men rather than the ladies. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I wonder what's causing the difference this time, assuming it isn't the obvious. I thought all of the big drops in world record times had stopped after they banned the shark swimsuits

Not really. Everyone said no world records would be broken again for decades, if ever. Then they immediately went back to breaking records again. The only sensible explanation is doping. Swimming is a total joke of a sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MalevolentPanda said:

Not really. Everyone said no world records would be broken again for decades, if ever. Then they immediately went back to breaking records again. The only sensible explanation is doping. Swimming is a total joke of a sport.

 

Didn't they scrap the shark suit records?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he's just a very talented young lad at his first olympics. If it were someone competing at their third Olympics who had never qualified from a heat then there would be eyebrows raised.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dng said:

Swimming also has the problem (in terms of the consistency of times) of technology and design helping to make faster and faster pools, so at each Olympics they have a brand new pool with all the latest tricks to minimise turbulence and the like, because everyone wants to see records broken all the time.

 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-swimming-pool-idUSKCN10301O

 

But actually that article suggests no major innovation to make pools faster since Beijing 2008, when high tech swimsuits were also being used. What really makes swimming suspicious (read: obviously doped to fuck), apart from the notoriously lax testing, is the fact that records have continued to tumble since then, despite the banning of suits that was meant to make such records untouchable.

 

And I can see why reducing splash back in the outside lanes would make lanes fairer but some of that just reads like complete bollocks: "That uniform three meter depth, now recommended by world body FINA and considered the norm since Beijing, makes the water more buoyant" What the fuck does that mean? Would a five metre depth be even more buoyant again?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumably the amount of energy a swimmer is pushing "down" through the water to the bottom of the pool to be reflected back would dissipate enough at 3m to make 5m unnecessary.  5m is 60% more water, so diminishing returns vs cost and all that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Presumably the amount of energy a swimmer is pushing "down" through the water to the bottom of the pool to be reflected back would dissipate enough at 3m to make 5m unnecessary.  5m is 60% more water, so diminishing returns vs cost and all that.

Ok, but how does water reflecting back from the bottom of the pool make the water less buoyant?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.