rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dino_jr

Summer Olympics 2016 Brazil

Well, the football is a bit of a rubbish event for the Olympics anyway.

Looking forward to this now, just remembered this morning that it was on and  then started thinking about what I want to watch:

Men's Cycling roadrace Sat afternoon.

Women's Cycling roadrace Sun afternoon.

Diving every evening from Sun

Rowing is in the afternoon from Monday.

Track cycling starts thurs evening.

Athletics doesn't start until next week

Should be fun, I always love watching the olympics.

One of the most underrated events to watch at the Olympics is the weightlifting. Some of the weights being chucked around are unbelievable, and there's usually some good fun to be had in how the various competitors psych themselves up (and if you're a cynic, you can guess who will get popped first for using PEDs).

Downloaded the various official Apps and will start making sense of the timings for the must-see events. Hopefully Team GB can dominate the cycling, also can't wait to see how Jessica Ennis and Katarina Johnson-Thompson get on against each other, and whether Fly Mo can keep on winning. Add in boxing, gymnastics and the curiosity of seeing how golf and rugby sevens get on and there's already plenty to be excited about, even with the time difference (e.g. 100m finals are around 5:30am here), so guess TV catch-up will come into its own.

Hopefully after all the lacklustre build-up the Games goes well. The Olympics just about retains its shine, will be great to see some new superstars emerge, and those moments of pure joy when someone who has invested their life into their sport achieves something beyond their own expectations.

• Upvote 2

On 3 August 2016 at 20:02, dino_jr said:

Opening ceremony is Friday, but it's started today with women's football on these new BBC olympics channels.

Practically empty stadiums, not a good start.

Monkey tennis 

6 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Opening ceremony should be kicking off very soon. Hopefully less ostentatious and rubbish than the London games. 

Fairly sure this statement officially counts as treason.

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

The London opening ceremony was 3 of the worst hours of telly I've ever sat through. 

I can only assume you skipped the Closing Ceremony.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Comrade said:

I can't believe they are dedicating a section of this show to microbes, apparently in an attempt to remind everyone what's in the water?

lol. "You see these? They'll be swimming in your guts very soon!"