Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

Here's my review in progress: the Widowmaker sticker left quite a bit of tack on the case, which I'm now going to have to clean off.  1/10

Edit: As a heads up, seems the PS4 version requires at least a 10GB patch; there might be another to come before launch day.

56 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Have my copy too. Be ace if you could play offline with bots

With games like this and Destiny, the retro landscape is changed forever. When you can't even progress past the title screen because its online only with absolutely no offline content, even practice (of which I believe this game goes have a practice mode), firing up games 10 years from now for a "quick go" will no longer be possible. 

Your "licensed" game will only work for the duration of servers being kept online, and in some games thats been a very short time indeed, before your copy is a drinks mat or spare space on your HDD

Instead of firing up the game for a nostalgic go, you'll be watching replays on YouTube.

With games like this and Destiny, the retro landscape is changed forever. When you can't even progress past the title screen because its online only with absolutely no offline content, even practice (of which I believe this game goes have a practice mode), firing up games 10 years from now for a "quick go" will no longer be possible. 

Your "licensed" game will only work for the duration of servers being kept online, and in some games thats been a very short time indeed, before your copy is a drinks mat or spare space on your HDD

Instead of firing up the game for a nostalgic go, you'll be watching replays on YouTube.

This is Blizzard we are talking about though, they just released a new patch for Diablo 2 that was released 16 years ago.

I think we're good investing in Overwatch.

Yep. Bliizard games have some of the longest lifespans in the industry in terms of content and support. The argument also is one of the ones that would never actually happen. No one would load up an offline copy of an online multiplayer game just to shoot some bots in ten years for nostalgia. What. 

6 hours ago, Aimless said:

As a heads up, seems the PS4 version requires at least a 10GB patch; there might be another to come before launch day.

How is that even possible? The beta (which seemed to be the entire game for all intents and purposes) was only around 6GB on PC.

7 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

How is that even possible? The beta (which seemed to be the entire game for all intents and purposes) was only around 6GB on PC.

Not sure, but the total install size is now 19GB.

My best guess would be that they've packed in the CGI videos, perhaps with FIGS variants. 

Probably a few new characters that we haven't seen yet as well. As RubberJohnny posted previously, Sombra for one, supposedly being revealed in the new animated short released on Monday.

Yeah it has been said before, but the character designs in this game are just so good. Distinct, memorable and somehow totally 'modern' for want of a more precise term without overly pandering to the Internet culture nonsense that will eat it up.

Whilst it would be nice to be into a new shooter (haven't really since Rare's efforts, really) I didn't really enjoy the beta. Changing character mid-game removes individuality to me, which for a game that has quite a cast is a shame. I'm sure it makes sense for the gameplay (I honestly didn't play it enough to judge, was trying to learn the ins and outs of 1 character and never switching) it didn't feel right.

I'm sure it'll be great in due time but even Heroes of the Storm excited me more.

Maybe it's also I'm secretly still annoyed the MMO Titan turned into a shooter. Sob.

I've still got Starcraft 2 to play through as well. At one point I was such a Blizzard fanboy I was buying all the Collectors Editions even if I'm not even that into the genre.

Not this time, methinks.

This just sounds excellent and being a TF2 addict many many moons ago I really want to give it a go. I tried the beta on the last day but it just seemed to get stuck after completing the tutorial. Play option was greyed out and unselectable which was annoying to say the least. From reading up apparently it should have been downloading something in the background but never seemed to change for me unfortunately. The overall positivity though is thinking to just give it a punt anyway. Look forward to reading more thoughts this week on it from those who are in.  

I mean this guy is supposed to be all mysterious, and we don't find out anything about his origins, so I'm wondering whether this might be the hidden origin story of the girl as another hero, perhaps one to be introduced later on?