rllmuk
tobert

Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

Nope. I played it at launch for a bit and something else came along so I sacked it off. Can see myself pumping hours into this now it’s on switch. (Which is what happened when fortnight landed on Nintendo, too)

No buyer’s remorse just yet, it had to be done for the gyro experience alone, but there are numerous ways in which I believe Paladins is objectively better than Overwatch now. The one I was instantly reminded of last night was when my team stood at the first choke point for the entire round while attacking on Hanamura. You could put it down to new players but it was ever thus back in the day.

Paladins has a flank class and no choke points as bad as that. I have not missed Hanamura.

• Upvote 1

No remorse here. Similarly to @Strafe, I haven’t put that much time in before now. Always wanted to though. Love the style of it. 

Do we have a few muk Switch players to team up with?

1 hour ago, DC Lemon said:

No buyer’s remorse just yet, it had to be done for the gyro experience alone, but there are numerous ways in which I believe Paladins is objectively better than Overwatch now. The one I was instantly reminded of last night was when my team stood at the first choke point for the entire round while attacking on Hanamura. You could put it down to new players but it was ever thus back in the day.

Paladins has a flank class and no choke points as bad as that. I have not missed Hanamura.

I put a lot of hours into Switch Paladins and had convinced myself it was just as good (having picked it up on switch launch and not having played overwatch for some time). I don't think it is really. The flank class doesn't really differentiate itself from assault to my mind and despite the 60fps it is still rather bland looking. OW has bags more character and better heroes to use.

Plus most of the players on overwatch are new and I'm racking up kills like I do in my dreams. For now.

5 hours ago, grindmouse said:

The Fortnite launch has overshadowed it. Again.

Overwatch was released in 2016 on PC, Xbox and PS4. Fortnite came out in 2017. So spot on with that observation.

39 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Overwatch was released in 2016 on PC, Xbox and PS4. Fortnite came out in 2017. So spot on with that observation.

Fortnite obviously had a muted initial launch until BR took off late ‘17 / early ‘18. Are you saying that had no impact on OW despite the overlap in their audiences?

OW was a massive success story for a year and the “next big thing” until it wasn’t and Fortnite’s popularity blew up. Even GaaS like Siege which OW initially buried have gone on to surpass it in popularity.

Blizzard have been too slow to react and iterate, which I would speculate stems from them being caught out as other games set a higher standard for post-launch support. Despite being an early adopter of loot box MTX there’s no evidence they’ve re-invested to the extent Epic have.

It’s a huge failure for Blizzard the Overwatch Switch launch has been overshadowed by Fortnite.

• Upvote 1

You are quite correct that Fortnite has dented the popularity of OW. But then it's sucked away players from absolutely everything multiplayer since it's release so it's no surprise to find OW on that casualty list. Your statement suggested Fortnite overshadowed the launch of OW and that's obviously not true.

54 minutes ago, SimonC said:

You are quite correct that Fortnite has dented the popularity of OW. But then it's sucked away players from absolutely everything multiplayer since it's release so it's no surprise to find OW on that casualty list. Your statement suggested Fortnite overshadowed the launch of OW and that's obviously not true.

My statement was intended to suggest the launch of Fortnite Chapter 2 on Switch yesterday overshadowed the launch of OW.

The ‘Again’ was a reference to how Fortnite dented (or overshadowed) OW’s popularity  back in 2017/18. 

There was no intent to misrepresent or mislead.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

I'll never understand the hate for Hanamura's choke. It's a tough one, but there's nothing wrong with that.

29 minutes ago, geldra said:

That Battlenet sign up every time you log in needs to do one asafp. 

FIFA 18 had the same issue. They didn’t fix it 

20 hours ago, Strafe said:

Every time I boot the game up I get a ‘sharing of Nintendo account information’ email when it connects to blizzard battle net.

Anyone else getting these?

I’m sure I used to get this on Fortnite every time I logged in but can’t remember how I turned it off. Anyone?

I think that article exaggerates the issues somewhat. I have seen the red orb thing when the game initially loads in but you’re usually held in the spawn point for the first few seconds anyway.  I’ve had fun with the game so far and it feels exactly like OW to me, though I’m not an OW veteran.  

Theres no doubting that the Switch is being pushed to its limit though. Hopefully Iron Galaxy are still working on optimising the port.

15 hours ago, Meh said:

I'll never understand the hate for Hanamura's choke. It's a tough one, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Once it's broken once it's often done for good, as well - the focus of the action then tends to switch immediately to Point A, as the attackers suddenly have multiple options in terms of approaching it more quickly, and under relative cover, and can make it very difficult for the defenders to rejoin the fight.

Sometimes a team will successfully defend that first choke for the whole round,  and sometimes it'll get flanked/a defending tank and/or healer will die almost immediately and it'll all fall apart in seconds.

Picked this up as it’s cheap and I’m in bed sick, hardly relaxing but playing OW in bed is ace :)

I see the loot boxes are stingy as ever, no way I’d pay for that nonsense.

gyro aim is great fun if a little wild, sure I’ll get used to it.

2 hours ago, Meh said:

The lootboxes are fine. You'd often get 3 duplicates in the old system, whereas now you never get any.

It's actually worse now, because the level of rarity in items you get is exactly the same, but because you don't get duplicates you don't get the credits you used to normally get in exchange, which means when new costumes roll around you usually have less credits in the bank to buy what you want. So the change actually encourages people to pay more.

Only had a few goes so far but seems like good old OW for me. Not played in well over a year. 

However, at your moment everything's I lost it up I have to agree Blizzards policy which then triggers an email from Nintendo too!  Is this normal?

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

Only had a few goes so far but seems like good old OW for me. Not played in well over a year. 

However, at your moment everything's I lost it up I have to agree Blizzards policy which then triggers an email from Nintendo too!  Is this normal?

Same here. Hopefully will be binned off in an update. 

Seems to run better on handheld than docked, noticed a couple of drops in frames with the latter. That said, it looks pretty decent docked and the mclassic I have smooths it out a bit, too.