IGNORED

Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

tobert

Yeah but it's no different than your team getting teamwiped in another big ult like a grav, heck even a whole hog can push a whole enemy team off the cart in the final seconds, or a blizzard, etc. Mind you I've yet to be on the receiving end of a mega ult like that so it's probably pretty annoying, what I do know is that feeling of helplessness as you hang in the air from that ult before slamming down to your death, its like being stuck in a grav but with even less chance to survive.

In other news I have been trying out the role lock beta and I love it. It basically fixes most of the bullshit you had to live with in ranked before, and replaces it with fairly stable team compositions so you can worry about playing the game instead of who's throwing, or why you have no healers, etc. It's a real breath of fresh air and I've tried out all the roles, although unsurprisingly the damage queue time is a bitch, taking upwards of 10 minutes on PS4 (I usually restart matchmaking once it goes that long). As a tank though its amazing to get heals and have teammates who usually stick by you. So far I'm really enjoying it.

26 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Yeah but it's no different than your team getting teamwiped in another big ult like a grav, heck even a whole hog can push a whole enemy team off the cart in the final seconds, or a blizzard, etc. Mind you I've yet to be on the receiving end of a mega ult like that so it's probably pretty annoying, what I do know is that feeling of helplessness as you hang in the air from that ult before slamming down to your death, its like being stuck in a grav but with even less chance to survive.

The thing with those those is there is something you can do to stop/avoid them.

Grav can be healed/sound barrier'd through, whole hog can be slept or you can run around to the other side of the cart. Even blizzard doesn't move you.

My biggest issue is it can't be interrupted. make it so if Sigma is slept, stunned or killed through the execution and it's fine. As it is it's just a  win button.

And totally with you on roll queue. Apart fom just having solid teams it avoids a lot of the toxicity associated with bad comps.  I was against the idea at first but after playing it I'm totally sold.

On 22/02/2019 at 10:25, Benny said:

There's a really easy fix for this: split the DPS class into long and short range, then limit the number of hero picks to 2 per class.

Presto, no more boring triple metas.

Where's my cheque please, Blizzard?

Nope, blocks bullets. Shields block fire from the enemy but not friendly fire, so the sym turrets go right through it. 

Shields dont stop wilson lightning though, but that would require some coordination from the attacking team.

Some changes on the PTR:

Bastion's repair no longer takes up resources when he's at full health, but there'll be a 0.25 second cooloff after repairing before you can fire again.

Seems unnecessary and a nerf to me.

And this one is straight out BS:

Sym's beam width has been reduced from 0.3m to 0.15m and the max dps has been reduced by 15.

The very moment she becomes viable she's nerfed. Given the prevalence of shields and being forced to stay at 2 DPS slots they've just gone and nerfed two of the three best shield breakers.

Also apparently BOB had a bug fix that's mostly a buff wihich means he's less likely to be caught on extranious scenery on his way to where he was aimed at. That's pretty good.

Yeah not sure why they're nerfing Sym, maybe 15 DPS is only minor though. When Sym is on the enemy team now you really have to focus her, or have good protection, which is how it should be.

Based on my role lock experience the meta is in a good place right now, so many heroes are viable. A lot of people are going the Overwatch League comps of Orisa and Reaper but its not as strong as OWL and you can overwhelm it. The buff to Reinhardt stopping him from getting knocked back so much has made a big difference. I'm seeing him in a lot of games which is nice. Mei is pretty good right now too providing she has support.

Winston seems a lot more viable now with role queue too. Now there's guaranteed to be 2 healers (who actually want to heal rather than choosing zen because no one else picked healer) his can actually stay alive for a while, and you come across 2 shield tanks a lot at the moment too which he's pretty useful against.

So, after playing as Sym against Sigma a fair bit I've come to the conclusion that his ultimate is an automatic death sentence for her. Its supposed to do 50% of total health in damage, so if you're unhurt it shouldn't kill you, but for her it always does, even if she's at full health.

I think it may be a funky interaction i reading shields as healthe or something. I would be inetrested in  seeing if Zen had the same issue, if I could stomach playing Zen.

Then again, Sym is so lethal against Sigma I suppose it's fair.

Looks as if Overwatch is going to be released on Switch, possibly as soon as Sept 15th.

I don't think PC players can play with console players though.

Also apparently Jeff Kaplan was talking about the results of role queue and said that damage roll queue times are aberagin 3-6 minutes as oppoise to less than 2 for tank and support, and have been as high as 20 minutes.

Good.  Shit widows need to be punished.

Its on console in Competitive mode only, for the next 5 days before it rolls out over all modes.

Having being on the receiving end of a few Symettra lockdowns yesterday, I'm starting to see why she may need toning down a little.

Had a beautiful play yesterday where I slammed into an enemy team as Hammond, then when they were in the air Sigma did his ultimate, and then I dropped minefield underneath so they all landed on the mines and died :lol: - I bet they loved that!

12 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Having being on the receiving end of a few Symettra lockdowns yesterday, I'm starting to see why she may need toning down a little.

Yeah I'm just salty because she's been my favourite character for ever. Right now she's a beast. But she still needs supporting, but if that support's there she goes through shields and high health targets like butter.

I was also listening to n interview with a few pro players last night, and they all reckoned Brig is going to be a mainstay healer in the coming season. Apparently her healing potenital is insane, and her health pack healing no syncs really well with a few characters. Doomfist was given as a prime example - jumping into the enemy team, getting brig's ranged sheild x3 at intervals with his own shield from hurting people, he can build up enough to get his ult and escape, rinse and repeat.

This pleases me. I love playing Brig.

I've been playing quite a bit of role lock and Brig is a rare pick so far, so I haven't really seen what her potential is. When I play healer I wouldn't even think to go Brig these days as Mercy, Moira and Ana are so good with the kind of comps you see. Maybe I'm underrating her then.

I had a game last night on Rialto where the other team held us on the very last point at that big archway into the final room using Sym. It was just so hard to push into that choke due to the turrets and her beam (backed up by a full team). And when things got hairy she just popped her ultimate sealing off the whole arch. I guess we needed beefy tanks and two big healers to power through, that or our DPS using the flanking routes to distract whilst we went through. Sometimes especially with randoms it can feel really hard to break through chokes like that.

38 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I've been playing quite a bit of role lock and Brig is a rare pick so far, so I haven't really seen what her potential is. When I play healer I wouldn't even think to go Brig these days as Mercy, Moira and Ana are so good with the kind of comps you see. Maybe I'm underrating her then.

I can definetly see her potential. She has no resource that could run out like Moira, or have to reload like Ana, so long as she's close enough to hit people, and that healing effect and her ult has been upped. Plus her repair pack goes through enemy shields.

But yeah, she'll need more than the usual PUG level coordination to get the most out of her. We'll see how the OWL goes next season.

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I had a game last night on Rialto where the other team held us on the very last point at that big archway into the final room using Sym. It was just so hard to push into that choke due to the turrets and her beam (backed up by a full team). And when things got hairy she just popped her ultimate sealing off the whole arch. I guess we needed beefy tanks and two big healers to power through, that or our DPS using the flanking routes to distract whilst we went through. Sometimes especially with randoms it can feel really hard to break through chokes like that.

That is the one downside of 222 role queue. Previously you could of tried a 3rd tank or dps to try and break a choke but now that's no longer an option.

15 hours ago, Mikes said:

The more I play he the more I appreciate the calls to nerf her. And this is me playing as her. So many games now can come down who has the best Sym or who can keep her alive the longest.

It's true. A pocketed Sym has always basically been an absolutely horrible thing to deal with. Even her counters basically fall to pieces if there's a good Mercy on her.

9 hours ago, grindmouse said:

30fps is going to be a bit rough isn’t it? 

Hmmmmm. I thought they’d be able to downgrade level geometry etc without too much of a visual hit given the art style. And Paladin’s manages 60fps.

I was all in and I have enough eshop credit left over to make it a painless purchase, but 30fps makes me pause. Will wait for impressions.

It'll be fine if you've got no experience with the game - but for those used to 'proper' Overwatch, it's going to be a bit of a thing to feel sorry for.