rllmuk
tobert

Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

16 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Well I'm not thinking of call of duty progression but maybe each character has 3 different special abilities that you unlock eventually and then equip just like a Street Fighter Ultra.

Why not just give those characters the 3 different special abilities out of the gate? 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Why not just give those characters the 3 different special abilities out of the gate? 

The point is there isn't anything to aim for....

4 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

But there is. You aim for winning matches and having good times. Progression by unlocks is a horrid thing in my opinion and just makes it so those with the most time get the best items and unlocks. 

Whereas with this, i know I lose or win based on how well I play. 

Not having a go (apologies if it comes across like that), just nice to have games where I can just jump in and out at my leisure and not be left behind.

• Upvote 3

Just now, bradigor said:

But there is. You aim for winning matches and having good times. Progression by unlocks is a horrid thing in my opinion and just makes it so those with the most time get the best items and unlocks. 

Whereas with this, i know I lose or win based on how well I play. 

In street fighter you pick the Ultra that best suits you. You only allowed to equip one at the start of battle and can't change it until you start a new game.

It's not about getting the upper hand but having more options to play the way you play and having a reason to keep going outside of the loop.

Street Fighter doesn't have a progression mechanic either, though (which is one of the reasons I love it). You choose different Ultras/Super Arts etc in Street Fighter to suit the opponent your facing; surely Overwatch is an even better example of that since it actively promotes switching characters to counter your opponents' teams?

I think the gradual unlocking of cosmetic loot boxes is a decent wee reward to keep you playing without ever feeling like you don't have the tools to be effective.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Your suggestion would fundamentally break the game, as it's been designed specifically with the special skills the heroes have in mind. There's a reason why Blizzard are very slow at introducing new characters - they can potentially wreak havoc in a way that spoils the game completely.

The aim is to get good, get gooder, get Grand Master, then get Top 500. It's the satisfaction of achieving a level of play that few possess. Just like Street Fighter, the competitive aspect is where the true meat of the game lies.

I spend hours and hours playing Symmetra every day - much to the chagrin of people screaming "OMG SYMMETRA ON ATTACK?" The satisfaction of shutting them the fuck up as you carry the team and win the game is absolutely addictive as fuck, and sure beats the shit out of CoD or any perk-based bore I've ever played.

Hell, I've even considered setting up a Twitch stream so you guys can watch me fuck up on a daily basis and hear me swear a lot - if, of course, Virgin Media doesn't disconnect me from the fucking competitive games like it did last season, costing me SR. (not that I was far in, as I only started playing it on PC recently.) :D

• Upvote 5

I generally dislike unlocks in competitive games. I remember in Battlefield Bad Company 2 the medic class having all the healing and revive abilities locked at the start of the game and thinking "this nonsense has to stop". I was really happy when all characters were unlocked as default in Tekken 6 and the later versions of SF4. No pointless busy work to get in the way of how I wanted to play the game.

For a game like Titanfall 2 which is player appeasing junk food gaming at its very best - go on then - have the constant unlocks and ludicrously detailed post match progression info dumps. But for something like Overwatch? Just let the game speak for itself.

After having not played this for months I've now gone back to this and I'm amazed to find that it runs like a dream! 120fps on med - high settings with no stutter or other performance issues. 120hz monitor purchase redeemed. :omg:

This is still Tracerwatch for me though. There are some base characters which I've never even played lol as I just love poking at the enemy and being annoying in their spawn area, keeping them from even reaching the objectives in the first place. 

Had some great games tonight on PS4. We won the vast majority of them, and we made a new friend too.

He loves Symmetra, so he's alright in my book.

God, I fucking sucked tonight tho.

15 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Stop playing,  then?

I feel there must be a clicking point given the overwhelming reception the game got.

It feels like, in the absence of pretty decent teamwork and communication, it's hard to find fun and that teamwork basically never comes close to occuring in the wild.

Bizarrely that random select character one often provides better teamwork experiences than when players can pick their own characters.

14 minutes ago, carlito said:

I feel there must be a clicking point given the overwhelming reception the game got.

It feels like, in the absence of pretty decent teamwork and communication, it's hard to find fun and that teamwork basically never comes close to occuring in the wild.

Bizarrely that random select character one often provides better teamwork experiences than when players can pick their own characters.

Maybe, maybe not. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's something you will like. FIFA is popular, but I don't like it. Minecraft is popular, but it hasn't clicked with me. 

Overwatch is a great FPS, but it's also often unfair, punishing and infuriating. 

It would seem unlikely in this case because I have played FPS games, including teamie numbers, since the dawn of time.

I am also fucking brilliant at them.

And all games.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Maybe, maybe not. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's something you will like. FIFA is popular, but I don't like it. Minecraft is popular, but it hasn't clicked with me. 

Overwatch is a great FPS, but it's also often unfair, punishing and infuriating. 

Case in point, thought I'd come back for this season, currently sat at 1 win, 7 losses in placements so far. 

I'm halfway through my placement matches with 4 wins and 1 draw. Now I can relax safe in the knowledge that by Overwatch law I'm only allowed at best one draw from the remaining five and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I'm not gonna rage, I'm NOT gonna rage.

3 minutes ago, DC07 said:

I'm halfway through my placement matches with 4 wins and 1 draw. Now I can relax safe in the knowledge that by Overwatch law I'm only allowed at best one draw from the remaining five and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I'm not gonna rage, I'm NOT gonna rage.

Lost 9, won 1, got placed at 2830 rofl.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Overwatch is never unfair. It's all about team composition, and the skill of your team. It does hinge a lot on relying your team to carry in certain situations, which can feel unfair if they SUCK - but that's why I generally play with the rllmuk crew on PS4; we're all pretty decent at the game, and the banter helps a lot.

We do need Mr. Benn back, though :( COME ON, MAN, WE MISS YOU BRAH.

Ended up 7 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses. The eventual defeats came in the last two matches with the usual and expected groans.

Result = down by well over 100 SR from where I left off season 4. Seems legit.

Moral = don't play support during placements.

3 hours ago, DC07 said:

Ended up 7 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses. The eventual defeats came in the last two matches with the usual and expected groans.

Result = down by well over 100 SR from where I left off season 4. Seems legit.

Moral = don't play support during placements.

Don't forget while it adjust to find your true SR, you'll get more for a win than a loss. Atm I'm losing 15SR but gaining about 40. 

Yeah placement games mean bugger all. I remember we determined that last season especially when your brother played again Varsity.

It just artbirtrarily drops you near your season ending rank probably 100-200 below what it was, no matter the outcome of your games.

Yep, I've finally learnt to ignore the objective in all my placement matches in the future. Despite the loss of SR, I've started the season with a 70% win ratio which means I'm now due a losing streak to rub salt in.

Fortunately, I have my smurf account so can unleash my inner toxic Widowmaker in another ten pointlesss placement matches today! If they take less SR off for that, I'm suing Jeff.

1 hour ago, DC07 said:

Yep, I've finally learnt to ignore the objective in all my placement matches in the future. Despite the loss of SR, I've started the season with a 70% win ratio which means I'm now due a losing streak to rub salt in.

Fortunately, I have my smurf account so can unleash my inner toxic Widowmaker in another ten pointlesss placement matches today! If they take less SR off for that, I'm suing Jeff.

That reminds me I need to make an alt account this season....I can't play serious and carefree on my main one lol need one for pushing rank and one for dossing about.