tobert

Overwatch - Bob!!!

Hammond definitely seems like he would be really good at disruption/dive kinda stuff. The shield is nuts.

However what I mainly do is throw myself into walls or off maps, so...yeah.

On 01/08/2018 at 22:00, palaver said:

Hammond definitely seems like he would be really good at disruption/dive kinda stuff. The shield is nuts.

However what I mainly do is throw myself into walls or off maps, so...yeah.

Rialto is the best for this, the amount of Hammonds that I see at the start immediately swinging into the canals - plop! :lol:

I've worked myself up to level 59 over the last few months on my sib's PS4. I'm not into online games at all ever since the community of Halo 2 crushed my expectations. ;) But I gave this a go at my sister's recommendation, and it's really fun. Depending on the random teams I can either do really well (17-player kill streak yesterday!) or really badly, and the teamwork aspect really appeals to me. I don't mean headsets-on, okay-guys-you-take-point, but just using the in-game actions, emotes and speech phrases to communicate. Not just for tactics either, but just daft little things; without saying a word, a player started swinging in circles as Wrecking Ball and we started jumping over like a skipping rope. :lol: And a D.va and Junkrat having an impromptu dance contest that ended with D.Va going, "...Nice try." :lol: Incredibly endearing.

Of course, I have made no attempt to get into the whole fandom as a whole. I haven't even been to the official site, and I'm informed that that's a good thing. ;)

Here's a question though: I fancy playing it on my PC, but I'm not keen on using keyboard and mouse. If I use my Xbone controller, am I going to get destroyed in every game? I'm mainly on quick play and team deathmatch, I'm almost never on competitive.

I play on PS4, but have tried the PC version at one of the Belong's in Game.  I failed pretty miserably for a while and then asked if I could switch to a pad.  The really helpful assistant suggested we go along to their team nights, but I batted him away after seeing just how terrible my mouse and keyboard skills were.

Then he said that their best player uses a pad and, despite getting ripped by other teams for not using M&K, they quickly had to back down as she was getting all the kills.  Could be a load of sales twaddle, an outlier or they could all just be awful; but I think you'll be ok.  It's only really the snipers, Tracer and Genji that would allow a much higher skill cap on PC I reckon/what I hear from friends.

On 04/08/2018 at 23:21, RJ Badman said:

I've worked myself up to level 59 over the last few months on my sib's PS4. I'm not into online games at all ever since the community of Halo 2 crushed my expectations. ;) But I gave this a go at my sister's recommendation, and it's really fun. Depending on the random teams I can either do really well (17-player kill streak yesterday!) or really badly, and the teamwork aspect really appeals to me. I don't mean headsets-on, okay-guys-you-take-point, but just using the in-game actions, emotes and speech phrases to communicate. Not just for tactics either, but just daft little things; without saying a word, a player started swinging in circles as Wrecking Ball and we started jumping over like a skipping rope. :lol: And a D.va and Junkrat having an impromptu dance contest that ended with D.Va going, "...Nice try." :lol: Incredibly endearing.

Of course, I have made no attempt to get into the whole fandom as a whole. I haven't even been to the official site, and I'm informed that that's a good thing. ;)

Here's a question though: I fancy playing it on my PC, but I'm not keen on using keyboard and mouse. If I use my Xbone controller, am I going to get destroyed in every game? I'm mainly on quick play and team deathmatch, I'm almost never on competitive.

I played on pc with a pad, it was fine 

If you're aiming to 'git gud' at the game, you simply won't with a pad. If Quick Play's your thing, then fuck it, knock yourself out.

And play Symmetra.

Yeah I quite like this design approach and enjoyed my time on Busan. I found it makes the teams clump up more and makes for better team fights. Often you aren't fighting on the point but at some strategic point around it. Also, they finally fixed it so if Brigitte shield bashes Reinhardt when he's charging at her, they'll both get stunned instead of Rein getting screwed.

12 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Just reinstalled this for the Halloween event on my ps4 and the queue times for quick play are (relatively) really long. Is that hienitnis on console now or do I need to start fucking with my router.

No problems here (also PS4). 

I like how Torb wasn't as viable in comp as many other picks before before, so they've essentially nerfed him further while attempting to rework him.

Many of the changes sound good on paper, but 5 second overload's too short to take on anything but a slow moving tank or someone you have the drop on, and if it runs out you die. Being able to chuck a turret that's always level 2 and doesn't require building sounds neat, but the build time is three seconds, and if destroyed it's gone for 10. 10 seconds without an essential part of his kit, roughly the same amount of time as a Winston Ult. Oh, and the turret health dropped 50 too so it's even easier to destroy.

Then there's the new molten core. Spray it everywhere, deny the enemy about five seconds of free movement, then watch them nimbly glide through the bit you missed in the meantime and carry on with impunity. 

I genuinely think he's notably worse now unless you're a damn good shot with the shotgun during the small window overload gives you. The fact that the cooldown starts on turrret destruction rather than placement is insane to me. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't just pick a more reliable DPS at the moment.

I'm open to being proven wrong, and it's early days, but man. I don't play it much, but a friend occasionally asks me to team up with him - at this rate it'll be down to Soldier and Brigitte. I liked playing Torb as an easy, casual zone defence pick when I was feeling lazy, but now... eh.

On 12/10/2018 at 13:45, Straps said:

See I'm at the ~2000 level and I feel like he's better now. I actually think the old ult was a teensy bit overpowered so I like the change.

Same. he's more of a skilled play now. Plus outsniping widows witht he rivet gun is always fun.  Ditto with the changes to Pharah. The reduced splash damage has made me have to allmost relern her. I'm finding I play much closer to the ground now to help get the direct impacts, but I'm still getting gold damage. Plus she's more of a shield breaker now, too.

Well, I’m suddenly glad I was learning to aim now.

Also, for those doubting new Torb - you crazy motherfuckers. He’s so much more valid on Attack now. His turret is easy to kill, but his combined kit can be Mei-levels of infuriating.

New Season now.  But weird/different as the old season ended at 10pm last night and the new started at midnight.  We finished a whisker from platinum but placements so far haven’t been kind, set teams and all sorts :( 

I still love you OW.

Also a Widowmaker in every game but that’s fine, I’m enjoying Winston!

Nope, in fact they're talking about buffing him. They changed the way armour worked in the latest patch and now Winston is even worse against armour. I think it's just that people actually know how to play Winston nowadays. A good Winston is actually scary, especially if they're backed up by good healers.

This week I've dipped back into Overwatch to investigate the new patch. There have been a bunch of changes but most noticeably Reaper is now a beast, and the changes to armour mean that heroes like Tracer are a lot more viable again. Bastion's still quite popular since his buff. 

In general the meta seems to be in a good spot. Lots of heroes are viable right now. The only ones that I think are struggling are Roadhog (who is just a big feeding machine now) and Soldier (who is outperformed by all the other ranged heroes).

The new 2CP Paris map looks pretty good, saw the PTR version of it last night.

Although Overwatch isn't my main multiplayer game any more, it's always fun to go back to, and every few months there's a worthwhile update to check out. 

Roadhog is used effectively quite a lot. His hook range is still RIDICULOUS, so he's pretty damn terrifying in the right hands.