Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch

tobert

2-2-2 and role queue are going to bury the thing in the dirt.

Jeff even admitted queue times would be monstrous before these changes were confirmed. DPS players are going to be twiddling their thumbs for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Meh said:

2-2-2 and role queue are going to bury the thing in the dirt.

Jeff even admitted queue times would be monstrous before these changes were confirmed. DPS players are going to be twiddling their thumbs for a long time.

It's a dumb idea, certainly, and one that stifles creativity. Welcome to each match being the exact same as the last.

Although some interesting news about role lock - there will be an ETA timer for each role, so you can see how long you're likely to wait for a match, and also seperate SR for each role. Additionally, there will be some kind fo reward for playing in roles curently in demand. No statement what they could be at the moment.

But anyway, I hope this goes the way of the role queue.

Can't actually wait. No more instalock Genji/Widow bullshit in the lower levels anymore. The problem with that was always the 3rd or 4th person who wanted to play DPS either throwing, or thinking they can "flex" onto Moira and then just pressing right click all game, the tanks getting shredded, and then complaining that they got 3 gold medals.

Nothing about that was fun. Ever. The game was decided at the loaded screen. That will still happen sometimes, but not as much, and that's a good thing.

If you don't want long DPS queue times, learn to play a support character.

I played the Xbox version for a good old while until the queues became 5 minutes+. That was after they brought the custom games in and it seemed everyone wanted to play stupid rulesets than the game. I toyed with getting the PC version but fuck sitting at the PC to play games, I can't be arsed with that.

Actually 2-2-2 would probably get me playing the game again, and its the reason a lot of competitive players quit the game. You get so fed up of not having tanks, or healers - either that or or people are forced to fill those positions. Its also designed to reduce toxicity with arguments about roles before the match. Like you say though the problem is queue times. The question is, will DPS focussed players be willing to expand their horizons to tanks or healers? If not they're going to have to wait longer for a match. 

Well the 2-2-2 beta is coming out soon (I think PC only) so you PC folks can let us know.

36 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Actually 2-2-2 would probably get me playing the game again, and its the reason a lot of competitive players quit the game. You get so fed up of not having tanks, or healers - either that or or people are forced to fill those positions. Its also designed to reduce toxicity with arguments about roles before the match. Like you say though the problem is queue times. The question is, will DPS focussed players be willing to expand their horizons to tanks or healers? If not they're going to have to wait longer for a match. 

Well the 2-2-2 beta is coming out soon (I think PC only) so you PC folks can let us know.

I'm gonna guess 'no'.

On 19/07/2019 at 22:32, Benny said:

I already stopped playing after all these Brigitte nerfs in protest.

She needed it. Even now she's ridiculously survivable in the right hands.

But I really do think role lock could be a really bad thing. Wave goodbye to experimentation, say hello to same rotation of characters depending on map. Also we'll never see Sombra, Symmetra, Mei or Brigitte again.

OK, the predictions on the new hero were mostly completely wrong. This is him and all his abilities:

Pretty keen to give him a go. I can see how he could change the way some maps are played, and if his shield block damage as it's being deployed Pharah's ult is not even mroe hard to use. 

I'm struggling to think of how his ult will be used, though. Time will tell.

On another note, I've completely changed my mind about role lock. I played all day yesterday and think I had one game where I wasn't the only healer (Re, genji target). So bring it on.

On 24/07/2019 at 09:24, Mikes said:

I'm struggling to think of how his ult will be used, though. Time will tell.

So it turns out that if the enemy team is all over the cart on overtime, Sigma's ult lasts just long enough to distance the team from the cart to run the clock down.

Man, that would be infuriating.

Lesson to be learnt: do not group hug the payload. I can not count the times I either mumbled to myself or said over voice comm "careful, the surely have their ults. don't group up that much" before the inevitable Combo Ult hit.

16 hours ago, df0 said:

Lesson to be learnt: do not group hug the payload. I can not count the times I either mumbled to myself or said over voice comm "careful, the surely have their ults. don't group up that much" before the inevitable Combo Ult hit.

It could be that it's like Graviton Surge, where if you run into the area even after it's triggered you get caught up? We'll see  in game I suppose.

I've been watching some games from the PTR with him and he looks interesting. Like a cross between Reinhard and Hammond's disurption style play. He looks really hard to play, mechanically, with a lot of moving parts to track.  

13 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Will Overwatch ever come to Switch?  I still play Paladins on my Switch all the time, but would love it if Overwatch came over too for some more portable shooting.

I haven't seen any plans. It would be great if it was. 

• 3 weeks later...

I played a few games late last night and dps queue was listed as being shortest. I normally fill which means I’m almost always support or tank so it felt good to be that guy who picks Hanzo on attack. Queue times didn’t feel any different to normal but the games I played definitely felt like good contests, which I guess is the point of the role queue.

I think role lock is going to be great for the game and I can't wait to try it out. I might even get back into Competitive which I haven't played since the first few seasons due to the toxicity and crap team comps. Will be interesting to see how it's received by the more casual players though, in most Quick Play games you have 3 to 4 DPS players (or more). I play a lot of DPS in quick play but honestly if I knew I was getting healing I would play tank a lot more. 

They really need to make the healers better fun, Lucio and Anna are the only ones which are actually enjoyable these days. Baptiste is a strong character but I don't find him fun to play, Brigitte is ok but hard to get the backup you need, plus she's being nerfed into the ground. The lack of interesting abilities and autoaiming on Mercy and Moira make them pretty boring compared to Lucio and Anna. If there were more healers like Anna you can be sure more players would be willing to play healer.

What's people's thoughts on Sigma if you've played him?

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I think role lock is going to be great for the game and I can't wait to try it out. I might even get back into Competitive which I haven't played since the first few seasons due to the toxicity and crap team comps. Will be interesting to see how it's received by the more casual players though, in most Quick Play games you have 3 to 4 DPS players (or more). I play a lot of DPS in quick play but honestly if I knew I was getting healing I would play tank a lot more. 

They really need to make the healers better fun, Lucio and Anna are the only ones which are actually enjoyable these days. Baptiste is a strong character but I don't find him fun to play, Brigitte is ok but hard to get the backup you need, plus she's being nerfed into the ground. The lack of interesting abilities and autoaiming on Mercy and Moira make them pretty boring compared to Lucio and Anna. If there were more healers like Anna you can be sure more players would be willing to play healer.

What's people's thoughts on Sigma if you've played him?

Personally Baptiste is my favourite healer atm. His tool kit is just useful AF.

I didn't play Sigma last night, but i did play a tonne of Sym. Her beam weapin is second only to Bastion in melting sheilds, and, as expected, all comps were sigma and either rein or Orisa. A few turrest of their heads then main beam on sheild, and with a bit of back up you're killing their tanks. I was pulling in a steady 15k damage on quick games.

Played a good few games yesterday and I really like role queues. I love the fact if I want to play damage I am now guaranteed to do so. Previously it was always a case of who could select their character first, and then you'd end up with 4 dps and maybe one of them would begrudgingly switch to a healer or tank at the last minute. Also tanking is a lot easier when you know you've got two healers on your team who actually want to heal. Sigma's giant rock knockback/interrupt can fuck off though.

• tobert changed the title to Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch