JohnC

Split from M. Night Shyamalan

The misdirection in the film's outward positioning is one of its commercial challenges.

But that misdirection is creatively positive for those who appreciate it. And could eventually become commercially positive due to word of mouth etc.

Kudos to those working on the project that backed the strategy.

On 27/01/2017 at 15:50, Fury4k said:

It's kind of ok I suppose, but it is dumb as fuck and the 'twist' is just desperate. 

Saw this tonight and this is pretty much my thoughts. Thoughts McAvoy was very good though playing different personas and sometimes switching them on the spot

A few spoilery thoughts too

Spoiler

When the girl goes into the vent he leaves the two other girls in the room whilst he chases her down. Why didnt the other two take that time to get into the vent and escape themselves? Instead they just hang around and wait for him to come back and block it up.

Theres a mirror in the bathroom, break it and stab the fucker with the shards

"This is just like the time they locked up that crazy guy in a wheelchair 15 years ago, what was his name?"

"Mr.Glass"

NO it was nothing like that time at all. Are we now experiencing the start of the MNSCU where he links his stories to keep people more interested. Is the only man that can take down The Beast, Mr.Unbreakable? It's like saying he didnt trust it to work on it's own and had to put in the Unbreakable scene to make people more invetested.

• Upvote 1

Finally watched this last night and also thought it was very enjoyable.

And that ending was utterly fantastic. I got chills.

• Upvote 3

Hah, I just realized something of an Easter egg..

(Don't read if you haven't watched it, it's a legitimate spoiler connected to the movie ending.)

Spoiler

Hedwig's favorite rapper/musician is Kanye West.

Kanye West had a song called "Through the Wire" which contains these lyrics:

Unbreakable, would you thought they called me Mr. Glass

Look back on my life like the ghost of Christmas past

The song itself isn't in the film, but I'm sure M. Night was aware of these lyrics and so he mentioned Kanye West in the movie, since Split ties into the Unbreakable movie.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

This movie is unbelievably brilliant.  I'm glad you're just a tourist..

Anyway, the ending caught me by surprise, in the best way..  (super spoilers and speculation incoming)

Reveal hidden contents

Seriously.. don't read this if you haven't seen the movie.

Reveal hidden contents

So Bruce Willis popped up at the end of the movie as the character David Dunn.  A good majority of moviegoers probably had no idea it was the main character of a previous M. Night film made almost 2 decades ago.  But I knew, and I flipped out because I love Unbreakable.

Anyway.. the movie seemed to have zero ties to Unbreakable, other than the Dunn cameo at the end.  Or so I thought....

Think back earlier in the film, when one of Kevin's alters was buying flowers at a train station.   I believe the flowers may have been for Kevin's father, who died in a train wreck. He mentioned earlier in the film that his father went on a train and he never saw him again.  This has to be the train that wrecked at the start of Unbreakable.  The one David Dunn was also on.  This is why Kevin leaves the flowers on the train station platform.. it must've been where he and his mom were supposed to meet his father but never did.

As for some of his alternate personalities:

Perhaps at a young age, his mother was somewhat abusive to him.. but something happened to cause his mother to be more abusive toward him.  His father's death.  Maybe something happened that eventually either had him institutionalized or put into an orphanage, such as his mother's death.  It could explain why his Patricia personality acts a bit like a stereotypical Nun.  His Dennis personality developed because his mother used to abuse him for making messes, so he developed a personality with OCD to prevent messes.  Hedwig possibly developed to maintain his innocence as a child, after all of this trauma.  This could also be why Hedwig can enter the light whenever he wants.  He could be one of the earliest, if not the earliest, identities, and his innocence doesn't bog down his thinking so he can just takeover whenever he pleases.  Barry eventually developed when Kevin realized he couldn't force himself to put his life together, or seek help about his DID.  So Barry essentially took charge as someone with aspirations of having a better life.  This explains why he is obsessed with being a fashion icon.

The Beast:

They said he worked at that Zoo for about 10 years, and must've lived underneath the facility for about the same time.  The beast was a personality that developed based on the animals at the zoo.  Possibly because they are tough, and Kevin is weak, and getting weaker.  I want to suggest that the beast became one of his personalities sometime before September 18th, 2014.  The time that Kevin went to "sleep" in his mind, and the other horde personalities took over.  The beast must be caged, and can only access the light if offered something to feed on.  And feeding makes him stronger.  Explains why he only killed Ms. Fletcher and didn't eat her.  She wasn't given to him by the other personalities as a sacrifice. 

The girls.  It was only supposed to be the two girls, and not Casey.  The two girls had never suffered and they were impure because they caused suffering.  In a conversation with Dennis (Faux Barry), Ms Fletcher mentions that an incident occurred at the Zoo where two school girls forced him to touch their breasts, and laughed it off.  I believe these are the two girls that were kidnapped, and poor Casey was just in the car at the time.  This is why Dennis directed his attention at just those two girls, when he was kidnapping, and why Casey was an afterthought. She wasn't supposed to be there.

He stalked the two girls for about four days, and he considered them impure based on their lack of suffering due to their privileged lives.  When he sees Casey's wounds/scars, of obvious physical abuse, he can no longer kill her, because she is pure, because she has suffered like he did.

Sequel:

I think the sequel will see the return of David Dunn and Mr. Glass.  Hard to say who Mr. Glass will side with, considering his intention in the end was to find a true superhero.  He unfortunately also created a supervillian known as The Horde.  Kevin's dad died on that train wreck, a wreck Mr. Glass caused.  Leading to the events of Split.  So either guilt will fuel him to help Dunn, or he'll try to help this villian he's created to fight Dunn, since they share similar traits.. both being "unbreakable".

I hope we get to see a couple new personalities from Kevin/The Horde.  Maybe see what Dunn's son and wife are up to.  It's also possible that Casey will make a return, potentially as an alley to David Dunn.. I mean, she knows how to use a shotgun and she's got a strong sense of danger.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to it.. so I hope M. Night doesn't mess it up, because so far it's perfect.

Something else I noticed:

Reveal hidden contents

Ms Fletcher said Kevin had been working at the Zoo for 10 years, so I assumed The Beast manifested solely because of this.  But I remember later in the movie during a conversation that Dennis is having with Ms Fletcher, that he says he and her are a lot alike.  Ms Fletcher often says she thinks they're extraordinary and have a lot of potential, and they feel like Ms Fletcher is fighting for them and protecting them.

This, combined with working with all these animals at the Zoo, developed into another personality.  An "extraordinary" alter with great "potential" that is based on various animals in the zoo that they have gathered knowledge about over the years, working there.

The Beast is Ms Fletcher's fault. Forcing them to relive the horrors of Kevin's father's tragic death, as well as telling them of their great potential.  This also kind of explains why the beast kills Ms Fletcher.  She is no longer needed, because now the beast can show them their extraordinary potential without her.

SOMEONE GETS THIS MOVIE HALLELUJAH! No sarcasm intended - this place has been surprisingly dour on the film so it's wonderful to find others here liking it too.

I think that Mr.Glass will be a Hannibal Lecter-like character in the next film - he will help Dunn find and beat The Beast/Patricia/whoever-he-is-at-the-time, but also manipulate a scenario that allows McAvoy to create maximum carnage. Glass is all about finding the potential in them, right? And Casey will become Dunn's sidekick. Her name does alliterate after all.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

SOMEONE GETS THIS MOVIE HALLELUJAH! No sarcasm intended - this place has been surprisingly dour on the film so it's wonderful to find others here liking it too.

Hide contents

I think that Mr.Glass will be a Hannibal Lecter-like character in the next film - he will help Dunn find and beat The Beast/Patricia/whoever-he-is-at-the-time, but also manipulate a scenario that allows McAvoy to create maximum carnage. Glass is all about finding the potential in them, right? And Casey will become Dunn's sidekick. Her name does alliterate after all.

Also, about Casey...

Spoiler

I think she is meant to be the opposite of Kevin.  She didn't suppress her abuse, and Kevin did.  She didn't tell anyone, but she certainly didn't suppress it.. she seems to think on it a lot.  Kevin developed multiple personalities that hid his abusive memories from him to protect him.  Casey had to learn to protect herself, becoming anti-social in the process.   They both end up stronger by the end of the film, however.  Her mentally, and Kevin physically.

Also.. Kevin Crumb.. "KC"...  That almost seems deliberate.

• Upvote 1

Just watched it. What a steaming load of twaddle.

Edit: to elaborate: set-up was okay, intriguing enough that it could get creepy but instead very quickly got tedious (2 hour runtime was ambitious / arrogant). Film tread water for about 40 minutes until the reveal, which was more 'really?' than  shocking.

I enjoyed Unbreakable, it was a novel take on the superhero genre, but worked very well as a self-contained film, it really did not need a sequel or expansion. But here we are, and now M. Night is serving up Easter eggs as endings.

• Upvote 1

Just watched this having avoided any spoilers. It was surprisingly good, McAvoy was brilliant, and I was even side stepped by the ending. Which was nice.

I liked how, for most of the film that

Dennis was a self appointed "leader" of a "gang" by using lies and manipulation and kept women in a state of fear by means of implication. (And it was set in Philly)

Is just like Identity?? The one from John Cusack

dying to see it tho heard good stuff from people's reactions on FB and stuff. Anyone know how I can watch it or get it? I don't have sky just Smart Tv and don't have any of the Streams for fire stick etc so am I stuck? Any help would be appreciated 

28 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

If you've got no way of streaming it (??) the obvious choices are to buy it, or obtain it on the high seas.

Thought maybe these sites on the internet might have it I have no idea the names of any of the online movie sites where u can access them. 

Can get internet via my TV! 

Just need to see if can set up Amazon Fire stick some point. Prob be my best bet? 

On 6/6/2017 at 10:04, Preston17 said:

Is just like Identity?? The one from John Cusack

dying to see it tho heard good stuff from people's reactions on FB and stuff. Anyone know how I can watch it or get it? I don't have sky just Smart Tv and don't have any of the Streams for fire stick etc so am I stuck? Any help would be appreciated 

it's on DVD & Blu-ray as of next week I think

• Upvote 1

On 07/06/2017 at 23:45, Triple A said:

it's on DVD & Blu-ray as of next week I think

Aww really! 

My sis can get it for free on Sky going to watch it tomorrow night :D

I don’t like movies about abductions. This was far better than I expected. Excellent performances from both McAvoy and Taylor-Joy.

Most of those spoilers in the long analysis above I thought were obvious (apart from the flowers thing, thanks, missed the point there completely)

KC also suppressed her abuse imho.

any sequel that goes all semi-superhero would likely turn out a travesty.

I finally got around to watching this on Netflix.  Even though there were good reviews and things when it came out M Night really put me off. 

It was really good and I'm pretty hyped up for Glass now!