JohnC

Split from M. Night Shyamalan

James McAvoy has 23 known personalities and kidnaps three girls for some reason. Something weird about being able to manifest physical attributes for different personalities too. Like The Visit, it's also produced with Jason Blum.

Though Kevin (James McAvoy) has evidenced 23 personalities to his trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher (Betty Buckley), there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls led by the willful, observant Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy, The Witch), Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him—as well as everyone around him—as the walls between his compartments shatter apart.

8 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Who keeps giving this bellend more money to make films? 

Universal, by the looks of it.

I enjoyed both The Visit and Devil, so I'll give this a go. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Who keeps giving this bellend more money to make films? 

Why's he such a bell end?

That synopsis doesn't sound bad, really. Yeah, he's made some turkeys, but which director hasn't? I'd say the majority of his stuff has been pretty enjoyable.

As mdn says, both Devil and The Visit were decent and they're his two most recent films.

Perhaps bell end was a bit harsh. I enjoyed his earlier films up to The Village. But that film he made (I forget the name) with the gormless Zoey Deschanel and Marky Mark made me want to wrench my own pubes out it was so awful.

20 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Perhaps bell end was a bit harsh. I enjoyed his earlier films up to The Village. But that film he made (I forget the name) with the gormless Zoey Deschanel and Marky Mark made me want to wrench my own pubes out it was so awful.

Yeah, that was pure shit. Really good up until the reveal that it was the wind, though. And don't you dare diss the lovely, gormless Zooey.

His hit-miss ratio isn't anywhere near as bad as a lot of people seem to think though, and I often wonder why he gets so much grief.

The psychiatrist will actually be one of the girls grown up.

Or him.

Or it will all just be a dream...

I should probably see these allegedly better films of his though as of his 9 films since and including 6th sense (which was spoiled for me without me realising) I've seen 7 of them and don't think any of them are particularly good and for someone still quite lauded, I don't think that's a great hit/ miss ratio. Horses for courses and all that though, it's probably just from being bitter at seeing signs and the village at the cinema and really hating both of them.

At the same time, I also watch them knowing it's an M. Knight Shyamalan film and therefore pay too much attention/ try and work out the twist, which doesn't help.

I saw this on Friday and thought it was pretty good. James McAvoy's acting was great and made his character believeable, but the film had a few annoyances.

Characters make to real effort to escape and don't have the balls to try to kill him when they have the chance unless they have a gun to hand.

Yeah, I thought it was good, but I think it was more down to the acting than anything else. It goes a bit too silly in the second half and I have no real interest in watching it again. 

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

Surprise hit in the US, making 40 million over the weekend. Solid reviews too. Sounds like he may have genuinely redeemed himself this time.

Anecdotal I know, but I think its probably done ok over here as well. The screening I went to on Friday was heaving and when we went to watch La La Land on Sunday, people ahead of us in the queue were complaining that the screening for this was booked and they couldn't get tickets.

Spoiler

It's a shame the abuse curve didn't see any real closure. Also, where did her top go at the end? It just seemed to vanish. Did he rip it off through the bars? Because if he did that part was cut from our screening (Malaysian censorship).

A few years back I was at the cinema and there was the trailer for Buried which is just Ryan Reynolds buried in a box for the whole film. I made a crap attempt at a joke to my mates along the lines of "What next, a bunch of people on the way to work trapped in a lift? It's called Inconvenienced". Then there was a trailer for M. Night Shyamlan's Devil, the twist being that it retroactively made my shit joke slightly funnier.

True story.

Yeah, this was fine but no more.  I think the strong reviews are going overboard slightly, though, it's an entertainingly stupid premise that doesn't really go anywhere and ends a bit unsatisfyingly. 

It was enjoyable enough. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/01/2017 at 21:25, deerokus said:

Yeah, this was fine but no more.  I think the strong reviews are going overboard slightly, though, it's an entertainingly stupid premise that doesn't really go anywhere and ends a bit unsatisfyingly. 

It was enjoyable enough. 

I saw it as a

super-villain origin and hero/villain battle setup movie, told in a very good quality and creative way for its genre, for an IP that I really like - so, very satisfying.

If

Marvel or DC/WB

had the balls to tell their similar kind of story but in this way, you lot would be creaming yourselves.

• Upvote 4

On 28/01/2017 at 22:18, Triple A said:

I saw it as a

Hide contents

super-villain origin and hero/villain battle setup movie, told in a very good quality and creative way for its genre, for an IP that I really like - so, very satisfying.

If

Hide contents

Marvel or DC/WB

had to balls to tell their similar kind of story but in this way, you lot would be creaming yourselves.

Not really, I don't care for most of those films either and the bit you refer to is a wee bit cringeworthy. 

It's a passable enough way to spend a couple of hours, though.