It's Not You, It's Me

lordcookie

21 minutes ago, lordcookie said:

So, to shake me out of this cinematic slump, I am turning to rllmuk to recommend me a new film (i.e. released in the past year) that will make me fall in love with film once more. 

Not exactly an easy task as I'm pretty sure you've seen more films than all of us combined. :P

These days it's all about TV for me. Some of the best writing has made its way over there and makes most films look pale in comparison. 

Have you seen The Wailing? Supposedly that's pretty good although I have yet to see it myself. 

I used to watch a film a day. Now I watch a couple a month if I'm lucky. You know that thing remember a kid says to his dad that he likes fags and his dad makes him smoke 100? That's what you've done.

Like V, I also watch much more TV than I used to. At least an hour a day. Right now I'm watching The Night Before, Baskets and Strange Things. I get too fidgety watching a film these days unless it's something truly great.

Have you seen White God? I loved that, but not many did.

39 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Not exactly an easy task as I'm pretty sure you've seen more films than all of us combined. :P

These days it's all about TV for me. Some of the best writing has made its way over there and makes most films look pale in comparison. 

Have you seen The Wailing? Supposedly that's pretty good although I have yet to see it myself. 

Normally you'd be right but I've only seen a handful of films released this year so you're probably on safer ground. I've not seen The Wailing but I don't particularly rate the director so I'm not sure that would be the ideal candidate to win me over.

30 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

Have you seen White God? I loved that, but not many did.

Unfortunately I'm with the many on that one.

Maybe, like Mentazm suggests, you've just overdosed on it? Perhaps you just need to roll back on the volume of films you watch? Was it always for pleasure, or did it start to feel like a 'job'?

Or maybe you've just changed as a person and your passion for film has just waned. I've had a number of interests at different point of my life that were very dear to me, and which at the time I thought I would never tire of, but in many cases the passion faded over time. Whether this was due to over-exposure, or just a natural process of me changing as an individual, I can't really say. Sometimes the interest comes back though - I have periods where I have little interest in videogames (despite being a fan since I was a child 40 years ago), sometimes for months at a time, but so far the passion has always resurfaced sooner or later.

16 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I quite enjoyed The Fundamentals of Caring the other night, not sure it's a sort of "fall in love with film" type of thing though so I dunno. Batman v Superman?

Reads synopsis for The Fundamentals of Caring: It's watching too many films with similar synopses that got me in my current slump.

10 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Have you seen 'Maggies Plan'? If you have a high Gretta Gerwig tolerance you should like it. I loved it. Or 'Embrace of the Serpent'? I missed it at the cinema but it got great reviews.

My tolerance for Gerwig is practically non-existent. Embrace of the Serpent is one that certainly seems more interesting - has anybody here actually seen it?

6 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Maybe, like Mentazm suggests, you've just overdosed on it? Perhaps you just need to roll back on the volume of films you watch? Was it always for pleasure, or did it start to feel like a 'job'?

Or maybe you've just changed as a person and your passion for film has just waned. I've had a number of interests at different point of my life that were very dear to me, and which at the time I thought I would never tire of, but in many cases the passion faded over time. Whether this was due to over-exposure, or just a natural process of me changing as an individual, I can't really say. Sometimes the interest comes back though - I have periods where I have little interest in videogames (despite being a fan since I was a child 40 years ago), sometimes for months at a time, but so far the passion has always resurfaced sooner or later.

While I'm sure the volume of films I used to watch is a factor in my general disinterest, I went twenty years without it being an issue and I don't think the numbers have really increased in that time. I appreciate that interests change but film has always been a constant.

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice: Ultimate Edition. By the time those credits roll I guarantee you'll have a newfound zest for the rest of cinema.

Ha! That's not a bad suggestion. The rest of cinema can only seem like an improvement after a Snyder film.

56 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Have you tried Zootopia/tropolis? I'm in a bit of a slump at the moment too and I'm finding decent animation a lot easier to stomach than live action.

This is a good shout actually - I do enjoy a good Disney film.

45 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

The Nice Guys, if only to see Ryan Gosling actually acting for a change, and having fun with it too. 

The Nice Guys is one of the few films this year that I contemplated going to see at the cinema. Is it out on home release yet?

41 minutes ago, Skid Lee B Bop said:

Really enjoyed Demolition. A straightforward metaphor that's handled well and quirkily interesting. Good acting as ever by jake and a cracking soundtrack to boot.

I'm nto a fan of the director's heavy-handedness so I'm not sure it is the best suggestion to get me back into film.

Has anybody seen Anomalisa? I love Kaufman's work so that might be a safe bet.

3 hours ago, lordcookie said:

Has anybody seen Anomalisa? I love Kaufman's work so that might be a safe bet.

Yeah and thought it was really funny but apparently didn't stick with me as I completely forgot about it. :P

Go see it though. 

Another vote for Zootopia. Disney's best in years. Great direction and visuals, good story and pacing. Not much wrong with it at all

You a Gondry fan? Microbe et Gasoil?

Anomlisa is, to my mind, 100% Kaufman concentrate and animation a perfect medium for him. 

I have no films to suggest but just want to say it's a sad state of affairs when you hear LC is fed up of films. 

Have you watched Stranger Things? Not a film but has the feeling of one. Just a long one. 

9 hours ago, Exidor said:

Have you tried Zootopia/tropolis? I'm in a bit of a slump at the moment too and I'm finding decent animation a lot easier to stomach than live action.

There's a new Laika film out soon as well: Kubo and the Two Strings.

LC, do you think that since you stopped writing reviews, that's affected how much you've appreciated the things you've watched?

Well I watched Zootropolis tonight and really rather enjoyed it. I loved the different districts of the city and its story was very timely without being too heavy-handed. It felt quite different for Disney too which is a good thing. While I don't think it completely shook me out of the slump it was definitely a nudge in the right direction so thanks to everybody who suggested it.

1 hour ago, g wings said:

You a Gondry fan? Microbe et Gasoil?

Anomlisa is, to my mind, 100% Kaufman concentrate and animation a perfect medium for him. 

Gondry is always hit and miss for me but I always admire the fact he tries something different so that sounds like a possibility. Your description of Anomalisa has sold it to me.

57 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I have no films to suggest but just want to say it's a sad state of affairs when you hear LC is fed up of films. 

Have you watched Stranger Things? Not a film but has the feeling of one. Just a long one. 

Netflix, or any streaming service for that matter, was always a no-go for me but I'm moving into a new place next month and will finally have half decent internet so will definitely give Stranger Things a watch.

26 minutes ago, Nick R said:

There's a new Laika film out soon as well: Kubo and the Two Strings.

LC, do you think that since you stopped writing reviews, that's affected how much you've appreciated the things you've watched?

I didn't realise Laika had a new film out soon - that's a must watch then.

I don't think the fact I've stopped writing reviews is a factor. If anything I think stopping the reviews helped, for a time at least, as it meant I could just enjoy watching the films rather than think about how I was going to articulate my opinion.

10 minutes ago, lordcookie said:

Gondry is always hit and miss for me but I always admire the fact he tries something different so that sounds like a possibility. Your description of Anomalisa has sold it to me.

Report back once you've seen it. Hope it helps.

How about some oldies? 

A couple of my personal favourites that might recover your appetite Being There and The Rules of the game...

7 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Zootopia is a great shout. One of Disney's best ever, and I include Pixar in that. Really funny, no songs (well, the bare minimum) and considering it's a 'kids' film it pulls no punches. It's brilliant.

Another recommendation for Zootopia from me. I was in tears of laughter at a couple of scenes. Wonderful message too, though quite young in tone, so don't expect anything too original in its core messages and values. 

As as much as I love Shane Black and as much as I enjoyed The Nice Guys, it's not as sharp, as intelligent or as original as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I also thought that the characterisation of some of the other characters aside from the two leads were somewhat problematic in both portrayal and tone. Gosling was great and it is funny, it's just not Black's best work. 

What about Neon Demon? It's divisive if nothing else. It also looks and sounds fantastic (the Martinez score is superb). 

Shame you didn't enjoy Green Room much btw (though can you enjoy a film like that?!) I thought it was tremendous. 

7 minutes ago, g wings said:

A couple of my personal favourites that might recover your appetite Being There and The Rules of the game...

One of the reason I asked for films from the past 12 months is the fact I've seen so many older films, including both of your suggestions. Being There is great though.

6 minutes ago, BlinkyBear said:

What about Neon Demon? It's divisive if nothing else. It also looks and sounds fantastic (the Martinez score is superb). 

Shame you didn't enjoy Green Room much btw (though can you enjoy a film like that?!) I thought it was tremendous. 

I watched Room, I still haven't seen Green Room (as a fan of both Blue Ruin and Murder Party I'm sure I will get to it eventually though). Neon Demon looks interesting but I find Refn really inconsistent. 

7 minutes ago, lordcookie said:

I watched Room, I still haven't seen Green Room (as a fan of both Blue Ruin and Murder Party I'm sure I will get to it eventually though). Neon Demon looks interesting but I find Refn really inconsistent. 

Then Neon Demon won't change your opinion of him, in fact it's hyper-Refn in that the film itself is inconsistently brilliant/dull. 

Slightly older than 12 months old, but did you see Carol Morley's The Falling? It got quite a mixed response but I found it to be consistently enchanting and beguiling. A recommended watch. 

I can understand how you overexposure ruined your interest in films. I have trouble being that invested in most films myself, and it's even worse when it comes to television (even the best writing just can't seem to escape cliché or just plain dumb writing from time to time).

Still, I only saw two new films this year and they were both good ones. First is The Lobster, which has great and pretty original surrealist dark humor. I would avoid trailers for this one though. The second is Elle, the new Verhoeven film. Quite a bit of a surprise, since I thought his previous film Black Book was a disaster. But his new one disguises itself as a pretty standard thriller but does something different throughout the whole film. The lead performance by Isabelle Huppert is also something to behold.

All celebrities die

Brexit

Trump nears the White House

Another British winner of Wimbledon

Rllmuk start to warm to James Corden

lordookie falls out of love with film

2016 truly is the year where anything can happen.

This happens to me periodically with films, books, all kinds of art forms - I suddenly see them as these really artificial things, things that have been planned, created and laboured over and are simply an attempt to manipulate thoughts and feelings, and so consequently don't really seem to have any meaning. It's all a bit weird, because once I came to the conclusion that the only thing that was 'true' was sporting competition and the news. Then after a while I snapped out of it, fell back in love with films and books and the rest, and lost a lot of interest in watching sport because it's only a game and Sky owns the rights to most things anyway.

In short, have a drink and rewatch some Tarkovsky.

On 26/07/2016 at 10:31, lordcookie said:

I never thought I'd be typing these words, but I've fallen out of love with film.

The malaise has gradually been setting in over the past couple of years with a dwindling interest in the homogeny of Hollywood blockbusters, but it's now spread to infect all movies. I went ten whole weeks without watching a single film (normally I'd have sat through 120+ in a similar period), and I've only been bothered to see a single film at the cinema this year. 

Even when I did force myself to watch something (I've tried Room, Bridge of Spies, The Witch and The Survivalist this month) nothing left much of an impression despite all four films being well made. I'd like to blame the state of modern cinema, but I'm not even compelled to return to older films. 

After 30-odd years of being captivated by the medium, this sudden disinterest saddens me. Previously I could sit through anything (even movies as risible as You're So Cupid), but now I'm getting fidgety watching competently produced work. I've even cancelled my LoveFilm subscription after 15-years; something I never thought I'd do.

So, to shake me out of this cinematic slump, I am turning to rllmuk to recommend me a new film (i.e. released in the past year) that will make me fall in love with film once more. 

Whilst you are I'd say more of an extreme case due to the fact that you watch/watched a shitload more films than me I've found myself in a similar position not being as attached to film as I used to be.

I mean 10 - 15 years ago I was importing special editions from South Korea, Japan, France, Germany, US etc and spending hundreds a month on films when one day I just stopped caring.  Sold all of my films/traded in/gave to charity and honestly I haven't really looked back, I own absolutely no media now.  I still watch some recent films on the usual places like Netflix, Now TV etc and go to the cinema the odd occasion with friends but for me cinema is just nowhere as special as it used to be and I never thought I would say that.  It's almost like a switch went off in my head - one day I'd be comparing tints between SEs to get the best transfer whilst now I wouldn't give a shit.

I honestly can't even give you a good reason why or pinpoint how it happened.  The difference is, I can see you definitely coming out of it eventually.  I don't know if I'll ever really love cinema the same way again.