19 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Hi all,

I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered (I did scan a few pages) but I wonder if you can offer some advice please?

My 2 sons are very keen on Pokemon (movies / cartons) and enjoy traditional card games so I'm wondering if introducing them to the Pokemon TCG is a good idea?  I saw the trainers toolkit available for £23 - would one of these for each son be a good starting point?

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/prod/collection-boxes-pokemon/pokemon-trainers-toolkit

I imagine they will only be playing against each other for now and I don't want to make a huge investment on something they may not take to (let's say £50 total is an approximate ceiling to get them both up and running).  What should I go for?

Thanks

Rob

I think that trainer toolkit doesn't actually give you the cards required to actually build a deck. I think if you are brand new to the game maybe this would be a good solution:

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/pokemon/pokemon-trading-cards-game/pokemon-trading-card-game-battle-academy/p/190095

Others may have differing opinions...

This video shows what you get -it looks like a pretty good starting point.

https://youtu.be/tLIiyd1HL1s

Edited by Stoppy2000
Added YouTube link
22 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I think that trainer toolkit doesn't actually give you the cards required to actually build a deck. I think if you are brand new to the game maybe this would be a good solution:

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/pokemon/pokemon-trading-cards-game/pokemon-trading-card-game-battle-academy/p/190095

Others may have differing opinions...

This video shows what you get -it looks like a pretty good starting point.

https://youtu.be/tLIiyd1HL1s

I got my son that for his ninth birthday. 

despite being an avid player of the switch games, and owning lots of Pokemon cards, he didn’t really understand the mechanics of the card game. 

The battle academy set really helped him get to grips with it. There’s a turn by turn guide through your first few hands with the two ‘basic’ decks to help you learn the game and then there’s an ‘advanced’ deck which has a  separate booklet to introduce you to some new play elements/tactics. 

the board is really nice, and it just feels like a good quality package. 

I would highly recommend it. 

These guys on occasion have offers on theme decks:-

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/pokemon-c1250/theme-deck-t1021

But honestly i would try your local ASDA or TESCOS as they have sales on theme decks all the time. 

And remember all the boosters and theme decks etc come with a code for PTCGO so if you have a decent tablet or computer they can have an account and play against the computer or others online. 

• 2 months later...

Regarding the above post, if anybody ever needs online codes, let me know. I open Pokemon cards all the time and don't use the codes, more than happy to pass them onto you!

Has anybody managed to buy any of the Shining Fates boxes?

Lots of controversy at the moment with people buying all available stock and doubling the price, pretty annoying really. Especially as Shining Fates is a really great set with some awesome cards. Including that Shiny Charizard.

If anybody's interested, I've recently done a video on my Shining Legends Graded Collection. It's amazing how prices have gone up over the last couple of years.

I got a friend who is a long time Pokemon collector and the whole deal with them right now is mental quite honestly and it seems to have had a massive ripple effect. Yugioh prices are also rising at an extreme rate and we are seeing graders likes PSA & Beckett doing a price hike on their services. My friend has decided to put his complete collection of Evolutions up for auction because he doesn't know when the bubble will burst and reckons they'll try reprinting the set in the future.

The whole thing is fascinating from the outside when I'm seeing people claim that delivery trucks for Target and the like have been tapped up with tracking devices and other things so the scalpers can get in on everything.
There's also shit like this.

On 07/03/2021 at 01:16, Dig Dug said:

I got a friend who is a long time Pokemon collector and the whole deal with them right now is mental quite honestly and it seems to have had a massive ripple effect. Yugioh prices are also rising at an extreme rate and we are seeing graders likes PSA & Beckett doing a price hike on their services. My friend has decided to put his complete collection of Evolutions up for auction because he doesn't know when the bubble will burst and reckons they'll try reprinting the set in the future.

The whole thing is fascinating from the outside when I'm seeing people claim that delivery trucks for Target and the like have been tapped up with tracking devices and other things so the scalpers can get in on everything.
There's also shit like this.

I think the Evolutions reprint was a rumour going around but i genuinely don't see that happening, especially as Nintendo are struggling to print enough stock for their modern sets. The PSA price hike has affected me, I've currently been waiting 11 months for a send off to come back so there is no way I'm going to be paying more and waiting that long, I'll just go and use CGC or another grading service, sure their value won't be as high but I do it for collection purposes rather than profit.

I managed to get a Shining Fates Elite Trainer Box though which I'm opening tomorrow, extremely excited haha

7 hours ago, Elseb said:

I think the Evolutions reprint was a rumour going around but i genuinely don't see that happening, especially as Nintendo are struggling to print enough stock for their modern sets.

His rationale is that they have a new factory which leads him to think there will be new printings in the future (possibly after the pandemic).

We will have to see. Either way I’m sure he’ll net a tidy profit on his current set.

3 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

His rationale is that they have a new factory which leads him to think there will be new printings in the future (possibly after the pandemic).

We will have to see. Either way I’m sure he’ll net a tidy profit on his current set.

Yeah definitely, Evolutions prices won't drop too much either way. The set brought so many people back to the TCG that there's massive nostalgia for it. And as we all know, Nostalgia sells! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Pokémon Battle Academy is only £5 at Asda Living ( and I assume Asda ) at the moment. 

Plus they’ve got some of the PIN collections for half price too.