Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman - Feb 2018

Interestingly, Ava DuVernay passed on Directing the film. She said:

"I'm not signing on to direct Black Panther. I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me. In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn't see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later."

I wonder if she shared any of my concerns. 

I'll shut up about the Directors colour now. I think i've made my point, and to be honest i'm not even sure it was a good one.

I thought the middle act of BP was pretty great, but the third act sucked pretty bad, the suit was overpowered and the humour was weaker than a lot of the other MU films. The actual fight scenes were also only ok. Great score though.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean it it's not actually about Africa, it's about African-Americans synthetic African-themed culture. Like how there's a trend to give kids "African sounding" names from people in Baltimore who only speak English, so they end up with names like RoShawnda or whatever that don't actually exist in African countries, or how there's a fake African-themed African-American version of Christmas.

I don't know what this means?  Christianity is the most popular religion in Africa.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about Kwanzaa, which is not a religious holiday.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean it it's not actually about Africa, it's about African-Americans synthetic African-themed culture. Like how there's a trend to give kids "African sounding" names from people in Baltimore who only speak English, so they end up with names like RoShawnda or whatever that don't actually exist in African countries, or how there's a fake African-themed African-American version of Christmas.

From the outside this stuff seems strange and even a bit offensive - imagine if there was a film set in a fictional Asian country that was a bunch of Chinese, Korean and Japanese cultural aspects mashed together as if they were the same, where the characters had names created by mashing a bunch of chings and chong sounds together, rather than actually using a real-world language? Would get a very different reception.

But then you've got to realise the context - the slave trade scattered people around, destroyed every cultural touchstone they had - so they're having to create this sort of pan-African cultural milieu because people don't even know what specific modern day country or culture their family is originally from.

This is quite possibly one of the worst posts I've seen on here in a long time. Nestled in your attempt at some sort of 'defence' is a display of ignorance so unashamed it's truly quite shocking. Is this really how you view African-American culture and people? This is how little you view their vast and diverse contributions to society and culture? No matter what African-Americans do and achieve, all they boil down to is a couple of LaShawnDa's and Kwanzaa. Delightful

• Upvote 1

So, anyway: this was really good! Up there with the best MCU movies. More thought-provoking and personal than most of them, and although the action was a bit slight, it felt powerful and cool when it was used. Excellent cast.

Will definitely catch it again at the cinema, preferably not cramped into a right-hand seat three rows from the front (it was busy!).

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Diggity said:

Can we not make another thread talking about racism/feminism please? 

I’d really hope that there is some good discussion of race issues in this thread, it’s one of the most interesting aspects of the film (I mean BP as an event rather than the actual quality of the film itself). Otherwise it’ll just be another ‘good action’, ‘this made me lol’, ‘was the end credits sequence worth staying for?’ Marvel thread. 

In the same way, the discussion around Wonder Woman was at least as interesting as the film itself. 

• Upvote 5
12 minutes ago, Pob said:

I’d really hope that there is some good discussion of race issues in this thread, it’s one of the most interesting aspects of the film (I mean BP as an event rather than the actual quality of the film itself). Otherwise it’ll just be another ‘good action’, ‘this made me lol’, ‘was the end credits sequence worth staying for?’ Marvel thread. 

In the same way, the discussion around Wonder Woman was at least as interesting as the film itself. 

Can we not have a Separate thread then (tropes and black men in Hollywood movies, got 300 page thread written all over it), I want to hear about how awesome this movie is and then read all the plot point spoiler posts once I have seen it, not have to wade through all the other stuff. 

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Diggity said:

Can we not have a Separate thread then (tropes and black men in Hollywood movies, got 300 page thread written all over it), I want to hear about how awesome this movie is and then read all the plot point spoiler posts once I have seen it, not have to wade through all the other stuff. 

You could start one and see how it goes ;)

There’s no “one thread per film” limit. 

I was so looking forward to this flick... And found it all a bit underwhelming.

I was shocked at how much it felt like all the other Marvel flicks. I was expecting more of a departure. Ultimately it felt a lot like all the other marvel origin movies but rather than a fun/interesting hero fighting a bland characterless dark mirror image of himself, we have a bland characterless hero fighting a fun/interesting mirror image of himself.

Spoiler

Can anyone explain what the bad guys plan was for the first hour of the movie? By the end it looked like he just needed to  bring gollum to africa like some kind of returning hero. So why did he fuck about with the heist at the museum and all the korea shit? Why didn't he bonk Gollum on the head in the opening scene? Did I miss something?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Despin said:

I was so looking forward to this flick... And found it all a bit underwhelming.

I was shocked at how much it felt like all the other Marvel flicks. I was expecting more of a departure. Ultimately it felt a lot like all the other marvel origin movies but rather than a fun/interesting hero fighting a bland characterless dark mirror image of himself, we have a bland characterless hero fighting a fun/interesting mirror image of himself.

Hide contents

Can anyone explain what the bad guys plan was for the first hour of the movie? By the end it looked like he just needed to  bring gollum to africa like some kind of returning hero. So why did he fuck about with the heist at the museum and all the korea shit? Why didn't he bonk Gollum on the head in the opening scene? Did I miss something?

The plan is pretty much what happened. He used Serkis to lure Black Panther out and fail. He'd then present Serkis himself when he went to Wakanda, knowing that he was a wanted man.

2 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Hide contents

The plan is pretty much what happened. He used Serkis to lure Black Panther out and fail. He'd then present Serkis himself when he went to Wakanda, knowing that he was a wanted man.

Spoiler

Doesn't work though does it. he coulda shown up with Gollum a week earlier and made it in time for the ceremonial challenge.

4 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:
  Hide contents

Doesn't work though does it. he coulda shown up with Gollum a week earlier and made it in time for the ceremonial challenge.

Then you could argue that he could have just shown up to the ceremony without Serkis, since he had a legitimate claim anyway.

On 2/13/2018 at 22:34, Captain LeChuck said:

I prefer the humour and action in Ragnarok, but this has the better story, and it ended strongly.  Cracking post credit scenes too. 

Can't agree with this.

Spoiler

First one's just a more public reiteration of his intentions that were already explained on the basketball court. Only difference is that it shows the diplomat's incredulity, and that Ross survived after fleeing the lab.

Second one's there as a slight progression of Bucky's story: he was cryogenically frozen at the end of Civil War while they tried to find a cure for seventeen stab wounds in the back his brainwashing; now he's up and about and touring the country. But still, it's there more as a reminder of where he is, than as a vital progression.

But it seems churlish to complain about post-credit scenes. Especially since they're never going to improve on the one from Spider-Man: Homecoming anyway.

I loved it. I don't know Letitia Wright from anything but she was my favourite thing in the movie, a star-making turn. Everyone is great though. The motivations of the characters, their relationships and dialogue scenes were as engaging and enjoyable as any of the super stuff, which is so important. It looks tremendous too, not just in design but I thought it had some really striking moments in photography as well.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed this although I don't know if the glowing reviews were totally earnt. The action is pretty guff and some of the acting a little... laboured I guess? Still enjoyable, a middle of the pack Marvel film. 

Seemed to be a lot of people with gripes leaving the screening though. Frankie Boyle was behind me on the escalator going in!