Goose

Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman - Feb 2018

44 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

On the flipside, I particularly liked the realism of...

Hide contents

The villains relying on our disgraceful NHS response times to allow them to swoop in with an Ambulance and complete their heist. :coffee:

:lol:

On 2/13/2018 at 22:34, Captain LeChuck said:

I prefer the humour and action in Ragnarok, but this has the better story, and it ended strongly.  Cracking post credit scenes too. 

Can't agree with this.

Spoiler

First one's just a more public reiteration of his intentions that were already explained on the basketball court. Only difference is that it shows the diplomat's incredulity, and that Ross survived after fleeing the lab.

Second one's there as a slight progression of Bucky's story: he was cryogenically frozen at the end of Civil War while they tried to find a cure for seventeen stab wounds in the back his brainwashing; now he's up and about and touring the country. But still, it's there more as a reminder of where he is, than as a vital progression.

But it seems churlish to complain about post-credit scenes. Especially since they're never going to improve on the one from Spider-Man: Homecoming anyway.

I loved it. I don't know Letitia Wright from anything but she was my favourite thing in the movie, a star-making turn. Everyone is great though. The motivations of the characters, their relationships and dialogue scenes were as engaging and enjoyable as any of the super stuff, which is so important. It looks tremendous too, not just in design but I thought it had some really striking moments in photography as well.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if they'll give Bucky an upgraded version of Klaue's arm? It's the same arm missing on both of them, isn't it?

I enjoyed this although I don't know if the glowing reviews were totally earnt. The action is pretty guff and some of the acting a little... laboured I guess? Still enjoyable, a middle of the pack Marvel film. 

Seemed to be a lot of people with gripes leaving the screening though. Frankie Boyle was behind me on the escalator going in! 

On 2/14/2018 at 00:04, Made of Ghosts said:

I can't believe they went with that joke. Y'know that joke.

Spoiler

The vegetarian one?

24 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Hide contents

The vegetarian one?

I'm gunna guess with

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOSE

i was like... what the... hell? youtuber influencers' making lines in marvel movies? if that was even what it was.

quick review [MILD SPOILERS]

very fun. surprisingly so. awesome cast, acting and costumes. pretty bleh story. loved the world of wakanda, kinda unfortunate its tied to the MCU, had to shove those links in there

somehow. But yeh, now that world has wakanda tech, thats a quick way to shoehorn every marvel wack-a-doodie in there.

as someone who is tired of shit like dr strange and ant man, thought this would be 'another' marvel movie, but its elevated slightly above that.

Was that a reference? See, this is where I benefit from knowing fuck all about wider pop culture or internets so to me it was just a joke that worked.

52 minutes ago, buizel said:

I'm gunna guess with

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOSE

i was like... what the... hell? youtuber influencers' making lines in marvel movies? if that was even what it was.

quick review [MILD SPOILERS]

very fun. surprisingly so. awesome cast, acting and costumes. pretty bleh story. loved the world of wakanda, kinda unfortunate its tied to the MCU, had to shove those links in there

somehow. But yeh, now that world has wakanda tech, thats a quick way to shoehorn every marvel wack-a-doodie in there.

as someone who is tired of shit like dr strange and ant man, thought this would be 'another' marvel movie, but its elevated slightly above that.

Shit like Dr. Strange and Ant Man? They’re two of the better ones.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Wait, 'what are those' is a reference to something? I must be old. 

Fucking youtube memes

Jake Paul (famous youtuber) did a thing recently, not sure if its a reference to that or this. Who KNOOOOOWS

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Shit like Dr. Strange and Ant Man? They’re two of the better ones.

Meh, not for me. Only the mexican redeemed Ant Man.

• Empathy 1

13 minutes ago, buizel said:

Meh, not for me. Only the mexican redeemed Ant Man.

You’re a fucking mad man.

I’m off to watch it tomorrow, so hopefully I think it’s a good one. It’s got its work cut out following Ragnarok though.

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2018 at 22:19, Captain LeChuck said:

On the flipside, I particularly liked the realism of...

Hide contents

The villains relying on our disgraceful NHS response times to allow them to swoop in with an Ambulance and complete their heist. :coffee:

I actually turned and commented to my mate when they drove off:

"The NHS really is falling apart these days!"

Thought the film was good, with the villain having a good motive, though twisted, and I thought one of the characters was going to die towards the end with

Ross being all heroic in the pilot seat and then go boom

I liked that the mid credits scene seemed to be a subtle message to Trump - The wise build bridges, the fools build barriers.

Hate Marvel films, not seen one since Spiderman2 unless you count the first 15mins of GOTG. I like the 'politics' of Black Panther and had been following it a bit, then when Kermode gave it a glowing review I actually wanted to see it. My sister is a HUGE marvel fan so told her last week I'd go to see it next week when it's released. During that time I've heard quite a few people say it's (yet again) just another Marvel film. I hate this, seems to happen often where a Marvel film comes out and initially it's all like 'THIS one is the best in a long time! This one is a bit different!' followed by a week or so and then everyone is like 'Oh actually nah it was just ok'. Reminds me of Pixar a lot. Anyway yeah, I've roped myself into watching this now.

• Downvote 5

No, don't go and see it if you don't like these sorts of films. Why would you want to see something you're already predisposed to hate? You know you're not going to like it. And youre only going g to go see it to then turn up here to bitch an moan about how much it fulfilled all your preconceptions. 

This is the gazzillionth MCU movie and if you've not liked any of them the chances are men and women in costumes struggling with redemption and moral codes again is not going g to do it for you this time. 

Save your money and blood pressure. 

Don't go. 

• Upvote 2

I agree. Don't go. I got tricked by the hype too and to be honest it's garbage. Same as Ragnarok, same as GOTG 2, same as it ever was. I'm never never never going to another Marvel movie (alright, maybe Deadpool 2). 

• Downvote 8

If you hate them you won't like it, it's pretty much by the numbers marvel, just with some supporting characters who feel somewhat fresh for the formula. It's not a reinvention or anything like that. 

The lack of comedy bits worked in its favour for me. 

Watch Creed instead, much better film. 

I liked it The setting is cool and there are some great characters. If you were wondering how they were going to tell a compelling story about a man with super strength who’s wearing literal plot armour -well, they don’t really pull it off. Often when T’Challa is punching people really hard, the camera wanders off to see what the non-invulnerable characters are up to.

Also, Martin Freeman’s character wasn’t really needed. It’s like he’s an audience proxy on a ride into the hidden land of Wakanda, except the film is totally not structured like that.

• Upvote 2

I and my family thought it was great. Sure it's no Ragnarok, but there are no helpless females that need saving. The bad guy is justifiably bad, the good guy struggled to be a good guy and there enough jokes to keep things moving along. 

It's a superhero movie based on  a rare black comic book characters it's not trying to change the world or tackle the military industrial complex and save us from ourselves. It's just a movie that doesn't rely on our  square jawed white middle class heros to save the poor and downtrodden 

Now you're either interested in that, or you're not.  But don't go and see an mcu movie unless you're at least interested in comic characters and realistically invested in the whole Marvel universe. 

2 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

I liked it The setting is cool and there are some great characters. If you were wondering how they were going to tell a compelling story about a man with super strength who’s wearing literal plot armour -well, they don’t really pull it off. Often when T’Challa is punching people really hard, the camera wanders off to see what the non-invulnerable characters are up to.

Also, Martin Freeman’s character wasn’t really needed. It’s like he’s an audience proxy on a ride into the hidden land of Wakanda, except the film is totally not structured like that.

I would guess that's what Freeman's character was written as and Coogler reworked it to be less... white saviour-y.

I thought it was pretty poor. Right down near the bottom of the list for me.

Far too much exposition with nowhere near enough action. What action there was was terribly shot and the majority of the effects looked unfinished. I mean, the...

Rhinos in the battle near the end were absolutely terrible.

The cinematography was shocking. Having those beautiful African landscapes to play with and it all looked like a badly lit set. The story was really poor until Killmonger became the focus, then it went pretty shit again. I also agree with those who thought Killmonger was a far more interesting character than the bland T’Challa.

Now I know it’s all opinions and that, and maybe I’m on my own, but I’m completely at a loss as to why the majority of reviews are hailing it as the best Marvel film. Why do people think that is?

Not fit to lick the boots of either Dr. Strange or Ant Man, so don’t listen to that mad man, @buizel.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2