Goose

Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman - Feb 2018

Just back from seeing it.

Easily the best Marvel movie I've seen in quite some time. Not up with Logan, Deadpool, Avengers but streets ahead of Civil War, Ragnarok etc.

Not a fan of the lead. If you were pissed at the end of Warrior cos the wrong man won then you'll probably come out of this feeling same as me.

Solid 3.5/5.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Diggity said:

Streets ahead of civil war and ragnarok!!!! HYPE!!

3.5/5 :blink:

It's a comic book movie, a good one, but it's still written, acted and edited as clumsily as I've come to expect, so in my book that's a pretty good result. A lot of the Marvel and DC movies I've seen have been offensively poor, this is really quite entertaining, so I'm happy 

24 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

Absolutely loved this although it needed more Killmonger.

Defo. Much happier when him and Kaluuya were on screen

1 hour ago, linkster said:

Just back from seeing it.

Easily the best Marvel movie I've seen in quite some time. Not up with Logan, Deadpool, Avengers but streets ahead of Civil War, Ragnarok etc.

All of those are in the absolute top tier of Marvel derived films. I’m so confused by this.

• Upvote 2

Sneaked out? I can barely turn the TV on or browse the internet without seeing an advert or trailer! 

Booked in for 7:20 tonight :)

Really enjoyed that. And it looked amazing. The costumes and makeup were great. 

Spoiler

Fuckin’ armoured rhinos!

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

If this is a Civil War-beater, then I'm in for one motherfucker of a night.

The next three hours can actually just fuck off, I need to see this film NOW!

Miles better than Civil War

• Upvote 2

Just got back. It was...ok.

Very much a standalone film with some nice costumes and choreography but not a strong film really. Nowhere near the heights of the last few Marvel films and not one that wants a second viewing.

• Upvote 3

Got back from seeing it, I thought it was a really strong standalone film but not as good as Civil War and Ragnarok but it is a completely different film to them.  It looks beautiful, costumes are great, I loved the score and has the best villain since Loki.  Actually I would have enjoyed a whole film from the perspective of Killmonger.  Michael B Jordan was superb.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Isn't Civil War the tedious five hour excuse to have two metal people punch eachother into another dimension. That's placed at the top ?

"I was your friend but now I must fight you because your frozen brainwashed friend killed my parents and .."

zzzzzzzzz

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely loved it. Was smiling for most of the film. I too thought the costume design was great. Great casting, great comic book story, loved the music too. 

Have not had many recent occasions where people clapped at the end of a theatrical screening. 

In a weird way I was pretty fucking proud too. Pretty satisfying watch. 

Go see it!

Meh.

No tension (the suit's too OP; attacking it even makes it stronger, FFS). T'Challa was easily the least engaging character in the whole movie; quite damning if the film's supposed to be about him. Either way, his friends and enemies were much more much fun to watch; black Xena and Warmonger were about ten times more charismatic and cool than Black Panther. And the final battles were a snooze fest. The scenes in Korea were kinda fun, but were still less cool than anything Black Panther did in the clearly superior Civil War. Actually, now that I mention it, that's my main gripe with the film: Civil War made Black Panther look like a badass, but here... he just feels nerfed, both as a superhero and. psychologically, as a character.

Wish it was a Warmonger film instead. And wish it had more of Gollum; he stole every scene he was in.

The first half of the film's pretty good -- partially because Wakanda is a pretty neat and unique place, and its inhabitants are interesting characters -- but the rest totally made me disconnect.

It's a 6.5/10.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I agree with a lot of what Spainkiller has said.  I did enjoy it and thought it was good, but there was never any real tension or excitement 

Spoiler

Suit is too OP so he's never in any real danger. Plus thanks to the Infinity War trailer you know how this ends - king again - so it all felt a bit pointless and just setting up for the next big film. 

But I  enjoyed the story and lore. And the supporting characters are all generally interesting . I really liked Michael B Jordan's character and wish we got more of him. I liked the soundtrack/score and it has armoured Rhinos which is cool. 

If I were to score it is guess it'd be about a 7/10. 

6 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

Meh.

No tension (the suit's too OP; attacking it even makes it stronger, FFS). T'Challa was easily the least engaging character in the whole movie; quite damning if the film's supposed to be about him. Either way, his friends and enemies were much more much fun to watch; black Xena and Warmonger were about ten times more charismatic and cool than Black Panther. And the final battles were a snooze fest. The scenes in Korea were kinda fun, but were still less cool than anything Black Panther did in the clearly superior Civil War. Actually, now that I mention it, that's my main gripe with the film: Civil War made Black Panther look like a badass, but here... he just feels nerfed, both as a superhero and. psychologically, as a character.

Wish it was a Warmonger film instead. And wish it had more of Gollum; he stole every scene he was in.

The first half of the film's pretty good -- partially because Wakanda is a pretty neat and unique place, and its inhabitants are interesting characters -- but the rest totally made me disconnect.

It's a 6.5/10.

Agree with the overall score and the comments about the lead, but I still think it’s way better than Civil War. Warmonger has more fun but I thought the story arc needed them both to play the parts they did, it worked consistently throughout the film and the ‘twist’ didnt jar, the final scenes between them were a bit clumsy but still very touching, by comparison Civil War’s set up, execution and climax were so fucking stupid and contrived just left me resentful, and the only time I’ve tried to watch it again since I got completely bored before an hour was up.

• Upvote 1

I actually agree with all of that. On paper.

Civil War was a bit ridiculous, but it worked because of the chemistry between the leads, the well executed pacing of the film, and the sheer balls-out fun everyone was having.

Black Panther is a much more grounded and personal story, but, ehr, I don't think I was supposed to want Warmonger to win.

• Upvote 1

but but Kermode said you'll care about the characters? :( This was the ONE Marvel film I've been a bit interested in since like erm the first iron man film.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Capwn said:

but but Kermode said you'll care about the characters? :( This was the ONE Marvel film I've been a bit interested in since like erm the first iron man film.

I almost never agree with him on movies like this. He even liked Jack Reacher 2 which was fucking awful but hey got to pander

A mega side point, but Kermode unfortunately ceased to remain a human being when he reviewed Michael Moore's Where To Invade Next and spent the pathetic 90 seconds he allocated to talk about it fixating on the 'conceit' of Moore spending 0.1% of the film's running time planting an American flag whenever he 'stole' an idea, a little joke he plays to add a bit of humour in a film chock full of funny moments that Kermode ended his review trying to convince himself 'he didn't laugh once'.

i know, i know, i shouldn't allow the complex feelings of guilt and complicity buried deep in people who have become so comfortable they scoff at the mere suggestion that the society we have constructed can be constructed slightly differently to combat the monumental wrongness we inflict on each other to override the otherwise intelligent opinions of a knowledgeable film critic, especially when he's just reviewing the latest people dressed in metal suits punching each other film.

• Downvote 3