Goose

Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman - Feb 2018

I thought it wasn't the best Marvel film, but probably the most important.

I think I was the only person in the cinema chuckling at the

Spoiler

"sneakers" pun. Which was a shame. I like a bad pun.

• Upvote 6

Watched it. It was as least mildly entertaining so I wasn't offended in any way. Solid 2 star from me. One thing though, I still hate 3D. Everything seems claustrophobic, and CGI looks like little miniatures that you can reach out and grab at. During the credit sequences I put off my glasses as they were not 3D and it was like 'Oh wow this looks great, so vibrant and real.' If I had my way I'd have much preferred to watch it in 2D. Just a shame my cinema is only doing one 2D showing a day.

I have to say in my showing it looked like the 2D screen had been darkened to give it parity with a 3D experience or something. To be honest I don't think I've been wowed by picture quality on a standard cinema screen since watching Mad Max: Fury Road.

Yeah I've often been struck by how good some films look more the second time on home viewing. Thor: Ragnarok was so colourful though even dim screen couldn't diminish it, so I can't wait to watch the home version.

9 hours ago, JPL said:

I thought it was pretty poor. Right down near the bottom of the list for me.

Far too much exposition with nowhere near enough action. What action there was was terribly shot and the majority of the effects looked unfinished. I mean, the...

Hide contents

Rhinos in the battle near the end were absolutely terrible.

The cinematography was shocking. Having those beautiful African landscapes to play with and it all looked like a badly lit set. The story was really poor until Killmonger became the focus, then it went pretty shit again. I also agree with those who thought Killmonger was a far more interesting character than the bland T’Challa.

Now I know it’s all opinions and that, and maybe I’m on my own, but I’m completely at a loss as to why the majority of reviews are hailing it as the best Marvel film. Why do people think that is?

Not fit to lick the boots of either Dr. Strange or Ant Man, so don’t listen to that mad man, @buizel.

An extra star for the diversity, of course! Which was one of the best things about it. I really enjoyed the film, but it was only a B+ for me. Not entirely sure what Coogler could have done about this, but when your lead character is also the blandest character, you have a lot of work to do.

8 hours ago, Eighthours said:

An extra star for the diversity, of course! Which was one of the best things about it. I really enjoyed the film, but it was only a B+ for me. Not entirely sure what Coogler could have done about this, but when your lead character is also the blandest character, you have a lot of work to do.

They should definitely be praised for the diversity and I also thought they did a really good job with the female characters. His bodyguard crew were one of my favourite things about it.

None of that made for a good film though for me, and I don't think that critics should be reflecting that in their scores. Obviously it's fair enough to talk about that stuff in the reviews, but they should score the film based on whether it's successful in what it's trying to do, rather than any politics surrounding it.

I think it's getting far too much praise for being a good film, when it's mediocre at best. Personally, I ultimately found it a pretty boring, which makes it all the more disappointing after all the glowing reviews.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

1 minute ago, Mr Cochese said:

Ironically, the cast isn’t very diverse at all. Just in a different way from usual.

True. Maybe diversity is the wrong word. You know what I mean though.

13 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I pointed that out before, about pictures being dim in some cinemas. Apparently it's down to the cinema deliberately lowering the brightness to conserve the life of the projector, or something like that. 

Either way, it's shit. 

Quite fancy seeing this again, it's a genuinely good movie, with a great villain and a good story.

There could be three reasons:

1. they haven't changed the lens from the 3D lens

2. The bulb is reaching the end of it's life

3. They're running it low to extend it's life

In all three instances you should complain and get a refund.  The theatre should be running no less than 40 foot lamberts. 

• Upvote 1

When cinema projector bulbs fail, do they ever explode? Mine did about a year ago with an almighty bang, during the opening of Looker

I like to think it wasn’t in reaction to the cinematic treat unfolding.

It felt like a very average Marvel film once all the surface gloss wore off. But the surface gloss was rather lovely, especially the costumes. Both my friend and I were very underwhelmed by the whole thing. I had the film was "brave" before but it feels very tame. CGI was unusually bad as well, I thought this film would of benefited from being a little bit more girtty and toned down a little like Winter Solider was, but in Africa.

15 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I pointed that out before, about pictures being dim in some cinemas. Apparently it's down to the cinema deliberately lowering the brightness to conserve the life of the projector, or something like that. 

Either way, it's shit. 

Quite fancy seeing this again, it's a genuinely good movie, with a great villain and a good story.

This explains how, during the first section in the forest at night (where Black Panther throws those discs at the cars) I could barely see any of the fighting. Just body like shapes flying about. This was at Merthyr's Vue as well, which is ridiculous. I could sort of understand if it happened at a small theatre like Brynmawr (my local).

2 hours ago, Sabreman said:

When cinema projector bulbs fail, do they ever explode? Mine did about a year ago with an almighty bang, during the opening of Looker

I like to think it wasn’t in reaction to the cinematic treat unfolding.

Oh lord yes. They're extremely volatile

@SweatyTravolta I was just wondering why you're disagreeing with my posts. Is it because you really enjoyed the film, or some other reason? I'd be interested to know if you're up for explaining. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Good but not great. The first half of the movie sees the main character with no real motivation at all. The second half, the very well written villain steals the show, and the conflict between his vision and that of the hero is woefully underexplored.

Wakanda itself spends too much time looking like a dusty Dubai with gravtrains; it's most interesting geographical features are not really 'placed' properly to give a sense of distance or geography.

The female characters are fantastic. A couple of the action sequences seem unfinished. Andy Serkis was brill.

Mr and the boy enjoyed it. I'd probably put it in the middle of the Marvel League Table.

• Upvote 1

RLM have just about the only review which chimes with the general feeling of most here (and everyone I saw it with and have spoken to about it). The wildly over the top quotes from the glowing reviews at the start at just incredible. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

That doesn't even work as a pun, but I laughed anyway.

Que?

40 foot-lambert / 40-foot Lambert. He paid the price for his omitted hyphen, my friend. 

Oops, sorry!

Just back from the film now. Kinda felt like 3-4 scripts mashed together, really, and the fights scenes were a bit naff. Some amazing talent wasted as there were too many characters,  which in turn led to too many 'talking in rooms' scenes to pack-in all the plot stands and motivations. 

I really liked the music, the tech, the whole aesthetic, to be fair. But still, it's mid- to lower-tier MCU for me. 

192m weekend box office in the US.. (387m worldwide!)

Second biggest opening weekend for Marvel, just behind Avengers.. and it may get even closer to the 4 day total of that.. (which should also mean it could pass Justice League's entire domestic total at the same time.)

UPDATE: Sunday's US take was also larger than predicted (60m).. Standing at a 201m weekend total now..